Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Paris is still on the mind...

So earlier this month, I had posted on how I was missing Paris.

I thought it was a passing emotion. I was in the midst of the winter doldrums, and needed to focus on something bright and lovely. Like my time in Paris.

Well, those emotions of missing that fine, fine city have not gone away. I keep stumbling across more and more blogs. Just this week, I added a few to my Google Reader - all of which are about Paris and food. Like this one. And this one. And this one. Seriously, reading all these blogs is not helping my obsession with that city.

And now today, I started reading this book.

The title is, "The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry," which is a memoir of the author's time at the Le Cordon Bleu cooking school - one of, if not the, most famous cooking schools in the world. Oh, and why did said author decide to go to cooking school? She was a 36-year-old middle manager, trapped on the corporate ladder. Then her job was eliminated, so she decided to take the lemons of life and make them into lemonade. I just started reading this book, but will be sure to post a review when I finished it. I think it's going to be good - I am so into memoirs!!!

Then on a design blog I read each day (are you noticing a trend here? Maybe I should have given up google reader for Lent!), I came across an Etsy seller with the most fabulous prints. I've been looking to buy some prints to hang in my bedroom, and might purchase this one...


It reminded me of a painting described in one of the first stories in the book, "From Paris to the Moon" - it's a book of short stories by Adam Gopnik. It was one of the MANY books I read before going to Paris last summer. Seriously, I read so many books, if my apartment ever became a book store (it's bordering on being that right now, I have that many books...), I have enough Paris books to have a Paris section...

So yah, I just keep feeding this obsession with Paris. As I walk through the skyways, I think to myself - 'hmm, what sort of career would allow me or require me to spend an entire month in Paris?'

But another trip to Paris is not realistic given the economic conditions and the uncertainty of so many things in 2009. But perhaps in 2010 I can return to that fabulous city. I have never thought I would return to a place in Europe - there is so much I still want to see on that ginormous continent. But I would love to return to Paris. I know there are certainly lots and lots of critics out there who dislike the city, but it was a downright magical trip for me. Plus, it represents a significant time in my life - a huge turning point where my broken heart was finally healing and I was coming to the realization that being single certainly wasn't the worst thing in the world. And it was my first foray into the blogging world...

But for now I will keep dreaming and reading about that fabulous place...

3 comments:

Amber said...

The only time I've spent abroad is when I went to Germany for 10 days last summer, and I have to say, I've definitely got the travelling bug.

I go through phases where all I'll think about for days is how badly I want to travel!! Oneday, I keep telling myself!

I'm sure you'll make it back to Paris one day soon!

Meg said...

i love love love that print too.... very cool--and dont give up google reader...

Jess said...

I understand how you feel. It's the way I am about Dominican Republic..did an exchange there in high school and still need to get back there some day! Keep the faith, I have a feeling you'll be back in Paris one day.