Sunday, April 19, 2009

NYC, Here I come!

It seems like I've been planning my trip to NYC for awhile now... And I'm using the word 'planning' lightly. Because this is probably my least planned trip that I've taken in years. I usually have some sort of excel spreadsheet with a tentative itinerary and a guidebook that has been highlighted & tabbed to death.

Yah, not this trip. Maybe it is because I am visiting a city where 5 of my friends live. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to see the city & check out the sites, but I am more excited to re-connect with the ladies that live there.

These 5 friends represent 3 different periods of my life.

I met Alissa & Jen through Delta Gamma. Alissa moved to MSP the same summer I did, so has been part of most of the memories I've made over the past 6 years I've lived here (side note: I can't believe I've been out of college for 6 years! Oy!) Alissa moved to NYC this past November - she is definitely missed by my group of girlfriends. She's been back a few times since moving, but I am looking forward to catching up with her on her turf!!

Then there's Ali. I met Ali when I spent the summer of 2001 working out in Steamboat Springs, CO (my little slice of heaven here in the US, by the way). We both worked together at a hotel and quickly bonded. We were both studying abroad that next year - she was going to Spain & I was going to Australia, so we were both so so excited for our upcoming international adventures!! Flash forward 5 years, I visited Ali while she was working with the Peace Corp in the Dominican Republic. That trip was 3 years ago and that was the last time I saw her, so I can't wait to see her again and get all caught up. Neither one of us are phone people, so aside from exchanging emails or texting occasionally, we've spoken very little over the last 3 years - but we have the kind of friendship where you pick up right where you left off!

Last, but not least, are the Amandas. Yep, that is plural. I met these 2 girls when I studied abroad in Australia. They are from Long Island and were the first New Yorkers I had ever met. We also clicked right away when we met & did lots of traveling together. Our most notable trip was the week we spent in New Zealand in April of 2002. That was probably one of the best weeks of my life! One of the Amandas is getting married this summer, but unfortunately she's getting married on the same day as Abby, so I have to miss her wedding. :(

So yah, I have lots of catching up to do with these 5 fabulous ladies! In addition to all the chatting we'll be doing, I plan on seeing South Pacific (the lead female is from MN & my aunt was her choir teacher!!), checking out Ellis Island, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, shopping at this store which sells this scent, and going to the NY Public Library on 5th Ave where there is an exhibit on the French Occupation. Oh, and that's also where Big & Carrie were supposed to get married in the SATC movie!

I fly out at 7 am on Tuesday morning so am trying to pack tonight since I won't get home from class until around 10 tomorrow night. I am sort of kicking myself for picking the 7 am flight... because the airport shuttle is picking me up between 4:15-30. Ouch. I guess that probably means I won't have trouble sleeping on the flight...

Have a great week! I'll be sure to post a trip re-cap when I get back!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a fun trip!!! I sent a message to Laura that you will be at the Wednesday matinee. We look forward to hearing about and seeing your followup!

Jess said...

Have a great trip!! You totally deserve it and I can't wait to hear all about it. How nice that you have so many friends there to make the trip that much better!!

I'm interested in hearing about the library scent :)

Amber said...

Yay! That sounds like a FABULOUS trip! I love re-connecting with old friends. It's so nice when you have the kinds of friends that you don't see for awhile but then you pick right back up where you left off!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Have a great and RELAXING time! You deserve it :-)

qwerkyqook said...

Have fun! I'm so jealous!!!

aimee said...

have a wonderful and safe trip! can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures when you get home!