Sunday, July 5, 2009

Weekend Review - 4th of July

I am back from a fantastic weekend at the cabin. It was just what I needed. That mantra I posted on Thursday was totally ineffective. Thursday was probably the worst, most frustrating day I've had at work in years... but it's over and thank God I took Friday off so I would have a nice long weekend to relax! I am really hoping that this week goes better than last week did....

The weather at the cabin was pretty much perfect all weekend. I was starting to think I was the bad luck charm as every weekend I've been down this summer, the weather has left a bit to be desired. But not this weekend! The temps were high and the wind was pretty low. I had a great time soaking up some sun, playing cribbage with my dad, and reading. I'm about a little over 1/2 ways through Anna Karenina and am really liking it! I think it is probably going to take me 6 weeks to get through it. At least that is my goal!

Anyways, back to the weekend review. I pulled up to the cabin on Thursday night after dealing with some serious road rage on my part, and was instantly calmed.



The sun was setting, the lake was like glass, and my dad and nephew James were fishing off the dock. Ahh, I am so glad my parents have a cabin. This is my little slice of heaven on earth.

3 of my 4 nephews were down at the cabin - it was fun watching them play in the sand together. Andrew and James are less than a year apart and act like brothers. They even call each other "brother" when they play together which is so cute!

Matthew is the youngest nephew and gets more and more of a personality every time I see him. Apparently, his taste buds are in the process of developing...



He sucked on this lemon and never made a face!!


He's also getting good at posing for photos for his camera-crazy auntie.



All in all, it was a wonderful weekend that went WAY too fast. The 4th of July feels like the beginning of the end of summer - and it feels like summer just started for us. So I definitely need to make the most of these summer weekends at the cabin!


I'll leave you with this photo of my nephew James. He actually asked if he could wash the patio window. I guess he enjoys washing windows? He must have some McDougall blood in him - my Grandma Val would be so proud! Kind of makes me wish I could bring him back to Minneapolis to do some light cleaning for me!

8 comments:

Abby said...

How cute!!!! There is so much "Dotzenrod/McDougall" personality in the few pictures you have posted. Matty sucking on the lemon?! I eat lemons like oranges. Next thing you know...he will be eating mustard from the bottle. and the picture of James cleaning the window is priceless.

Sounds and looks like the weekend was an absoloute slice of heaven. I am glad, because it sounds as thought it was needed!

Love you lots, and Ryan & I wish we could have been there

Lisa-Marie said...

Your nephew is VERY cute!

Anna Karenina is hefty, and it takes a while to get through, but It is entirely worth the effort!

Glad you had a good weekend, sometimes getting away is the only way to make the bad stuff go away for a bit!

aimee said...

it sounds like you had a great, relaxing weekend. i'm sure you needed it! your nephews are so adorable!

Amber said...

Your nephews are SO cute, as always!

It looks BEAUTIFUL there, I want to have a weekend getaway like that one day!

Glad to hear you got a chance to relax and recharge a bit!! Everyone needs that every once in awhile!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

cabin weekends are pretty much the best. Relaxing and refreshing!

Jess said...

That picture of your nephew eating the lemon was just too much!! That just made me laugh out loud. How cute your nephews are! It must have been nice to spend some time with them.

That's so great that your parents have a cabin. There's something about a cabin, you know? No matter the stress of the week, being at a cabin just melts all of that away. I'm pleased you had a nice, relaxing weekend.

Ashley said...

Just wanted to let you know I love your blog and left an award for you over at mine!

Anonymous said...

your nephews are adorable! Washing windows, huh? That's pretty impressive.

Totally jealous you have a cabin to retreat too!