Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dream jobs

We talked about our first job yesterday, so today let's focus on our dream jobs.

If you could do anything you wanted to, what would it be?

For me, it's an easy question to answer. I would love to own a cute little bookshop, kind of like Shop Around the Corner in the movie "You've Got Mail." Except hopefully my dear little bookstore wouldn't be eaten alive by a big box retailer...

My shop would have lots of character. I'd have to hire my friend Brooke to do the seasonal decorating because that is just not my forte. Actually, she'd probably help with all of my interior decorating choices - she has such great taste! I can just imagine the window displays she'd come up with around Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas time. I'm picturing fake cobwebs strung across the corners of the store during the month of October; strings of little lights and trees featuring my hand-knit ornaments during the Christmas Season.

If I had enough space, I'd have a little coffee shop and would hire my friend Heidi to supply the cupcakes. Because no bookstore is complete without the whirring of an espresso machine or the sound of coffee beans being ground.

I could apply the business acumen I've acquired through business school and my practical experience to run a very successful little store. But this store would also be an outlet for my creative side (I do have one, and this blog is definitely nurturing it). I could have an adult book club that would meet in the evenings and I'd do a story hour for little kids on a weekday morning. Maybe I would even have a magician's hat that I'd wear for the children's story hour (again, inspired by Meg Ryan's character). I'd be so happy, I might ever start to speak poetically about bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils, like Meg Ryan does in "You've Got Mail."

My evenings and free time would be spent researching the latest and greatest reads so I'd have ample material to suggest to the patrons of my store. Of course, in addition to the best sellers, I would also feature lots of classics and would make sure my adult book club read at least 1-2 classics a year.

Ahh. If only. The one thing holding me back from this dream is this little thing called capital. Something I don't have a lot of. But I refuse to give up on this dream - maybe some day it will be a reality.

So, dear reader, what is your dream?

12 comments:

emily said...

I would love to own an events comp, Putting on parties for others and doing all the grunt work would be fun. or... a decorator.
em

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Your dream sounds exactly like my friend and I's dream. Open the bookstore with the connecting coffee shop... :) I actually seriously looked into it for awhile but decided now was not the best time..

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Awww, that would be so fun to own a bookstore. For me it's a toss up between two things. I have always dreamed of being a writer. Being the next big chic lit author would be an absolute dream come true. I would love to make my own schedule and be at the mercy of my own creativity. Second, I would love to own a children's clothing store. I sort of do that now, but it's not owned by me... I would love to do the buying, planning... etc, etc, etc...

Great posts! I love this topic! :)

Anonymous said...

I love You've Got Mail and the bookstore she owns. Mandy and I have talked about moving to live closer to one another, starting a bookshop/bakery and just going with the flow.

But my real dream job? Wedding Planner. OR Press Secretary to the President of the United States (which is why I started out as a Political Science major with a minor in Journalism in college).

Ashley Gerner said...

When you open your book store can I come work for you!?!? That sounds so perfect and exactly what i'd love to do! I do have coffee shop experience if that helps sweeten the deal! :)
My dream job, that's tough...part of me just wants to do something that helps people. Non-profit work (hmmm, go figure...so perhaps I'm partly living my dream now! :))or mission work would be so fulfilling.
Then the other part of me would love to have a little coffee shop/botique/book shop...so whenever you're ready "i'm in!" :)

Andy B said...

I'd own my own guitar store...small and selling only high-end, top of the line quality guitars. Maybe after I win the lottery...

Little Fish said...

My dream is to shop at the amazing store you just described!

Erin said...

I have so many! I got a degree in Social Work to be an adoption social worker, but ended up in public schools. I would love to be a travel/food/wine writer...or a pastry chef at an extravagent bakery (my stepmom dreams of being the owner of said shop)...

But to be honest, what I really want is to be a mommy: cooking, gardening, reading, teaching my kids to sing and play musical instruments, etc. Yup. IDEAL. And maybe I'd open an online boutique for baby girls' clothing on the side ;-)

Amber said...

There are SO many things I'd love to be doing. I would really love to work from home though, and I definitely hope to make that dream a reality one day. I would also love to do something that involves writing, travelling and helping people!! I don't think I have a "dream job" per say; well being a novelist would be pretty cool! Haha

http://imanolagirl.blogspot.com/ said...

I dream of owning a little French bakery in the French Quarter. Mu sister and I would run it together, and it would have a blue awning with the name of the shop written in white script. We'd have little baskets of freshly baked bread and cases filled with amazing sweet treats. And we'd know all of our customers names!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Maybe this can be our retirement! I would love to make the cupcakes.

I am blessed to have my dream job now but if I wasn't doing school social work I def would want to own my own little cupcake shop.

Becky said...

Um, could I please work there?!