Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas is Coming!

I cannot believe it is Christmas week. How in the heck did this holiday sneak up on me? I think back to my childhood year - it seemed like it took FOREVER for Christmas Eve to arrive. I guess back then I was all about the presents under the tree. I still enjoy the presents aspect, but that's not what I am most looking forward to. I am more looking forward to seeing all of my siblings, their spouses, and my nephews. We aren't all together under one roof often enough. Honestly, if my parents decided not to buy gifts anymore, I wouldn't even care! I am more excited about watching my nephews open their gifts! Having kids around definitely changes the focus of Christmas!

Here's some photos of things I've done to prepare for the holiday season:


My favorite Holiday treats are now off limits since I am Gluten Free, so I made something new that I could enjoy this year - peanut butter balls! They are to die for!!


I usually have a cookie decorating party - this year I changed it to a Gingerbread house decorating party. I've told you guys I have no artistic ability - here is the evidence. I kind of wanted to lie and say my 4 year old nephew decorated it. But honesty is the best policy. This is the handiwork of a 28 year old. If you could see a side shot of the house, you would notice that I actually put the roof on upside down so the shingles are going in the wrong direction. Oops.


This is what a gingerbread house decorated by an adult should look like! This was my friend Brooke's - she is so talented!!


There is a good reason why I shoddily put that Gingerbread house together. My friend Amanda was over with her baby. Stella was born on December 2nd and is such a beautiful baby! I rushed to get my Gingerbread house decorated so I could hold her and give Amanda a chance to do some decorating. There is nothing more relaxing than holding a baby and putting her to sleep. And don't you love the name Stella?? I know I do!!

Here is my Christmas tree, which I decorated on my own for the first time in years. I suck at all things crafty, but managed to not make it look too terrible!

If you celebrate Christmas, how will you be celebrating it this year? I am heading home on Wednesday after work and absolutely can't wait!

22 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

A gingerbread house, peanutbutter balls with chocolate, and your cool tree? Uber-good post Lisa! Can I com to your house for Christmas? Btw, shortcrust pastry works well with gluten free flour, so you can have mince pies! xx

Emily Jane said...

Oh my goodness those peanut butter balls look SO yummy. And our presents look very similar all dressed in red this year! :)

I've never made one of those gingerbread houses, but high five for putting the roof on upside down lol :)

Emily Jane said...

Oops that was me ^ still too sleepy this morning to sign in haha!

J said...

Looks like you have been busy baking! I cannot beleive its almost christmas! The time just seems to fly!

Becky said...

Those peanut butter balls look divine! Haha, if I made a gingerbread house, I'm pretty sure mine would look just like yours so don't feel bad!

Mandy said...

Peanut butter balls are glorious. Yours look delicious! I love your gingrebread house. They are so much fun to decorate. Your tree looks great too.

I still cannot believe that Christmas is on Friday. Blows my mind really.

Anonymous said...

Love the gingerbread house! My bro & I do one each year. This year it will be the four of us plus Gram for the holiday and I'm super excited. Our family lives far and wide (literally coast to coast) so we never get together over the holidays which is both a bummer and a blessing as we have many family traditions!

Stella is a great name for a baby. A bunch of my friends recently had babies and I can't wait to hold them =)

Carolina John said...

all december babies are great. cool gingerbread house too. it's good to see you embracing the holiday season with so much vigor!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Looks like it was a fun night! I have never made a gingerbread house so I am not one to judge except that it still looked really yummy!

PS: Cute photo of you and Ella. I heard from A so I am hoping that she is able to meet up with B and I when we do breakfast/ early lunch next week. AND i get to see you in 1 week and 1 day :)

Amber said...

I SUCK at Gingerbread houses - and really anything artsy/crafty - too. That's Erics forte. Last year he used two of those gingerbread house kits and made an exact replica of my moms house. Ummm, what!?!

I like holding babies as long as they don't cry! LOL

Erics siblings and their kids are going to their inlaws this year so Eric's parents are coming in to stay at Eric's house with us on Christmas Eve/Day. Even though I'll really miss his nieces and nephews I'm excited because this will save us a 45-minute drive on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day out to his parents house!

Unknown said...

Great job on the peanut butter balls! I have never attempted a gingerbread house. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I'm making PB balls today and might start some sugar cookies- I made fudge and made some chocolate dipped Ritz cracker sandwiches (PB in the middle))yesterday...

I've got some Christmas shopping I have to finish... but we're going home to no-where ND for Christmas Eve and will back to celebrate Christmas on Sunday, with butt-husband's family ...


How did you like the gingerbread house thingie? I'm always curious every year, but I never get around to actually doing one.... it looks like fun, though, so I'm gonna have to try it!

Little Fish said...

I will be having a traditional Jewish Christmas, which means going to the movies with my parents. You know how I feel about stereotypes and people who spread them, but that one is actually true; pretty much all Jews go to the movies on Christmas day!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Abby said...

You're gingerbread house is not as bad as you think! It's just not as symmetric as your math mind like it to be ;)

Those peanut butter balls looks heavenly! Yum! Love the tree too1

I am so excited for Christmas and getting everyone under the same room again! I feel like the wedding didn't count as quality family b/c it was so busy!!

Flying home in 2 days!! :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I'd say you're crafty. I mean look at your scarves/hats and that tree is beautiful! Nice work. I went to this ski resort place in Central Oregon this weekend with my family. In the lodge they had an exhibit of gingerbread houses from people who live/vacation/work at the resort. These things were INCREDIBLE. Some had moving parts. Some were themed. It was amazing to see that some little kids could create things that looked better than some of the adults!

crystal said...

Wow, my friend Lynn just had a baby named Stella on December 4th, crazy huh?! I love the name also, its very mysterious and classy :)

Nicole said...

Mmmm.... I want one of those peanut butter balls (we call them buckeyes). I love peanut butter!

This post is definitely getting me in the Christmas mood. Sadly I didn't decorate a tree this year. It's mostly because my dog is so crazy, he'd eat the whole thing.

Have fun with your nephews! I can't even remember the last time I saw children at Christmas. It has to be so much fun!

Kelly said...

Aw I love your gingerbread house. We are having a gingerbread house making competition on Wednesday night. Then I'll be spending time on Christmas Eve with my fam and my fiance's fam. I'm excited :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Mmmmm, I love peanut butter balls! I can't believe it's almost Christmas either! Craziness!

Allison Blass said...

I used to do Candy Houses with my best friends. They were made out of graham crackers, but decorated just like a gingerbread house. This year was the 19th Annual Candy House party, and the first one I missed since I'm not going home for Christmas. I am hoping to make it back next year for the 20th annual. So yeah, basically been doing it my whole life. It rules.

Merry Christmas!

Anais said...

Oh woah! How do you make these peanut butter balls??? They look so good! And let's face it: peanut butter + chocolate = heaven.

Great picture of you :D

Shoshanah said...

I'm guessing if I ever tried to decorate a gingerbread house it would look awfully similar to yours