Thursday, January 14, 2010

10/10/10

I am a lover of many things. One thing I particularly love are unique dates - like 10/10/10. That doesn't happen all that often - remember how big of a deal 09/09/09 was last year? Earlier this year we have 01/02/2010. Which is a palindrome. My aunt brought that to my attention and I thought that was also pretty cool!

So aside from liking the unique, repetitive nature of 10/10/10, I like this date for another reason.

It will mark my return to marathon running!!!! Earlier this week I registered for the Portland marathon! I absolutely can not wait. I have not ran a marathon since the fall of 2006 so I am so due for another race.

But that's not all. I won't be running this alone - I have the most fantastic running partner ever - Amber from Girl with the Red Hair! Amber is one of my favorite bloggers - I can't wait to meet up with her in person!!! We run at pretty much the exact same pace so she'll be a great running partner. We are going to pick the same training plan so that we can train together. We'll be separated by many miles, but by following the same training plan, it will feel like she's there with me, mentally cheering me on during those long runs!

I am also hoping that we can meet up with Lauren from Sassy Molassy! She lives close to the Portland area, so it is just a hop, skip, and a jump for her (I think).

Sound fun? It will be! And you should totally join us (if you like running, or want to try to like running). It'd be a great chance to meet some fellow bloggers & it will give you a great fitness goal for 2010 (Portland offers both a full and 1/2 marathon).

By completing this marathon, I'll be crossing off one of goals on my "30 before 30" list which I'll be posting around my birthday next month. I'll turn 29 on February 6th and I have a lot that I want to accomplish before then. My goal for this marathon is to finish in 4:30 - I think I can do it as that would mean maintaining a 10 min/mile pace.

So in the immortals words of Jerry Maguire - who's coming with me! Come on - you know you need a fitness goal for 2010! Why not go all out and register for a half or full marathon!!!

24 comments:

Nicole said...

That's exciting both that you are running a marathon and that you are meeting a blogger friend! I've never done even a half marathon, but I'm thinking of signing up for one that's taking place in April. Hmmm... I should probably start training a month ago. ;) Good luck, and have fun!

Emily Jane said...

That's so exciting!! I wish I lived closer and I would join you. Well maybe for the first ten minutes and then I would conk out and start cheering you guys on :)

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair said...

Attempting to comment from my blackberry.. Hmmm. Haha

Anyways, obviously I'm so freaking excited and cannot wait to figure out our training plans etc. And the number sequence makes it even more exciting!

Also, that palindrome thing is interesting! I never woulda noticed that!

Mandy said...

Wooohoo! Congratulations to you (and Amber) as you undertake this exciting goal. Its fun that the two of you are going to train together and I'm looking forward to reading about your progess.

Nora said...

As promised, I will definitely keep this in mind. I hope I can register in May/June timeframe!? ALl depends on how the 10 mile race in May goes.

Ashley Gerner said...

Good for you Lisa, what an incredible goal to set for yourself, and i have no doubt you will achieve it!! I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to try running a half marathon. This is way outside anything I've done before so I'm kinda nervous, but I know I can do it! I LOVE the idea of running a marathon in a different place/state...what a great way to see some new country! :)
Good luck and I look forward to hearing updates!

Cherry Blossoms said...

That will be so fun and I would maybe entertain the idea of the half as I will be on fall break that week but hoping for other things to occur around that time!

Jess said...

That's awesome, what a great goal!! I've always wanted to run a half marathon, but have never been able to quite motivate myself. I like that you two are doing that together, even if you're far apart...nice idea!

Abby said...

I am SOOO excited for you, Lisa!!! Very very cool! Wish I could be there to cheer you on! I hope to sign up the Tucson one next December....as long as my knee quits being lame. Biking is working great for me right now--but I would much rather be running! When do you start the training?

Kyla Roma said...

That's so amazing! What a fun way to do it- you guys are brilliant! Love it =)

Becky said...

Definitely not a marathon person, but I'm really excited for you! And totally jealous you get to meet Amber in person!

Allison Blass said...

Yay! I'm from a Portland suburb and I'm SO EXCITED that you guys are going! My dad's birthday is on the 11th, so maybe I will come... hehe. Probably not, but I will totally give you a list of things you MUST do while in Portland. Ok? MUST DO.

Yayyy!!

Leigh said...

Woo! That is awesome that you have someone to train with and run the marathon with. You two will do great!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

That is so awesome!! I am so jealous you will be meeting Amber in person! She seems like the sweetest girl ever!
Can't wait to hear more about it! :)

Carolina John said...

First, the portland marathon is certainly one of the ones on my bucket list. jealous that you actually get to do it.

second, running it with amber? love her!!! that's going to be just as great as any other part of that marathon.

actually, i'll take anything in portland. i've got more bloggy friends there than any other city. it's also incredibly bike friendly.

Sarah said...

That's fabulous - Amber had mentioned before that you two were both going to run a marathon, but I wasn't sure if you were going to actually meet up. It'll be such a great incentive to you both to keep up the training.
Personally, I don't have any fitness goals this year, other than to become more consistent. In all honesty, I haven't actually worked out this year yet. *blush*.
As for the 01-02-2010 thing - I would've never noticed that! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Little Fish said...

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Hey Hey, count me in! Sorry I didn't get back to you via email. I didn't respond right away and then it fell off my radar. So excited to meet you ladies. Oh, and run the marathon again. ;)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Okay, guess who just registered?? ME! Thanks for getting my butt in gear.

Kelly said...

Would love to join you but the knee and my work schedule won't allow that, but I will totally be cheering on two of my absolute favorite bloggers from good ol' MA.
PS. How are you liking Sunburned Country? I think Bill Bryson is so funny!

Unknown said...

I love games! Balderdash is one of my favorites. And, I currently have 5 games of Scrabble going on Facebook. I like FB Scrabble because you play your word, send it and then don't have to sit and wait for the other person to play. Instead, you just check the next time you are on your computer. I am anxious to get familiar with Bananagrams. Now that we are in Florida, Beth and I are going to have to stage a few competitions. I love the picture of your dad with Andrew and Matthew.

J said...

Sounds very fun! I love the day 10/10/10! I love being a part of this time when we have dates like those! SO very cool!

Anais said...

I think 10/10/10 is a sign! You and Amber are going to great I know it :) And, deep down, I'm still hoping to be able to join you!!!

Shoshanah said...

Things have been a bit crazy lately, so I've been a bit behind... but I wanted to say how excited I am for 10/10/10! Of course, my birthday's 10/10, which means its really a once in a lifetime day for me! Not that running a marathon isn't almost as exciting :)