Monday, January 11, 2010

Sunday Night Dinners: Thai Chicken in Coconut-Peanut Sauce

December was a bit of a wash for me in terms of cooking! I got back on track last week and intend to get back into the habit of cooking a big meal each Sunday.

On Sunday I made Thai Chicken in Coconut-Peanut Sauce. This recipe is on my aunt Barb's recipe website. As I've said before, my aunt is an amazing cook - I am so glad she started this recipe website! She has tried all the recipes she posts, so it's nice to know someone else has tried it, enjoyed it, and made alterations when need be! Check it out! I made her Spiced Pecans for Christmas and they were a huge hit with everyone!


Back to the recipe at hand - here are the pictures I took of the process!


As usual, here is my mis en place. A mis en place is especially important when you are stir frying! Everything happens so fast, so it is very important to have all the ingredients chopped & ready to go!


You start by stir frying the shallots, garlic, serrano chiles, ginger, coriander until golden brown (~2-3 minutes)


Stir in the coconut and bring to a boil.


Stir in the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until thick and richly flavored (~5 minutes).


Add in the chopped cilantro and cook for 1 minute.

Set sauce aside.


Stir fry the chicken, red pepper, and onion.



Add the peanut sauce and unsalted peanut. Mix and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.

*************

I ate mine over some jasmine rice. It was delicious! I think next time I'll add another chili, add more lime juice, and use creamy peanut butter instead of chunky. The sauce seemed a little thick, so I think using creamy would have helped a bit. Regardless, it was a delicious dish - and it makes quite a bit! The leftovers were great last week!


Do you have a go to recipe that is great as leftovers? If so, send it my way! I am trying to be better about trying new recipes each month!

19 comments:

Becky said...

Mmm, your recipes always look so good!

Nicole said...

You need the Measure-All Cup from Pampered Chef for the peanut butter. It just pushes everything out without having to scrap out the cups.

Mandy said...

This sounds incredibly delicious and makes me want Asian food. My favorite chinese resturaunt here has peanut butter chicken which is all sorts of wonderful.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Nicole, I agree that cup is fabulous! Makes baking/ cooking w/ sticky indreg. so much easier! Its a must buy Lisa. I use mine all the time.

Nora said...

This is one that I can actually eat which is really exciting! Looks really yummy... =)

I love taco soup. If you'd like the recipe, let me know. It's a "weight watcher," dinner but doesn't scrimp on tatste!

Jess said...

Oh, wow! That looks seriously, seriously delicious.

Emily jJane said...

Oh this looks delicious! We're totally all about trying new recipes this month, too, and the last couple of weeks have been full of culinary adventure. We made an Asian Beef thing the other day with crazy exploding noodles (video to come next week) and a coconut-type peanut sauce too - delish :)

My favourite leftovers are always the curries David makes - yesterday we had a chicken jalfrezi with a sauce made totally from scratch and there's always a lot for leftovers. However my favourite "leftover" recipe is SUPER easy - it's an Italian pasta type thing with a sauce made totally from scratch with oil, lots of garlic, chopped parsley - and then it's just crushed chili peppers, chopped asparagus, pasta, and sun-dried tomatoes (stored in oil, not a can - WAY better). It's so good - and makes enough for lunch and dinner the next day! Let me know if you'd like the (more formal) recipe :)

Emily Jane said...

Haha can you tell I'm typing in a hurry? I spelt my own name wrong!!

I'maNolaGirl said...

That sounds delicious. We made a chicken curry last night that you might like!!! I'll be posting it tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Thanks for comments on the recipe, Lisa. If you go to my recipe collection, you will see I added your picture of the finished dish and your recommendations. This is exactly what I had hoped, that there would be dialogue about the recipes! It looks excellent, incidentally! Good job. I am packing my recipe file for our trip to Florida, so hope to keep adding to the site while we are on our trip. We'll see how good I am at sticking to my goals!

Abby said...

That looks delicious, Lisa! You are a brave cook! Well done! :)

My go-to recipe for great left overs is always soups. I also like seasoning up chicken with black beans and veggies and packing it up for the week for leftovers in rice, salads, wraps, etc!

Amber said...

Your food always looks SO GOOD! Hmmmmmm.

I really want to try THIS one and that beef stew you did quite awhile ago. I think I'm going to start doing a big batch of cooking no Sundays too, it's such a great idea and makes packing lunches for the week so much easier!!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

http://hotpinkvixen.blogspot.com/2009/08/last-nights-dinner.html

http://hotpinkvixen.blogspot.com/2009/06/so-you-have-lot-of-aspragus.html

http://hotpinkvixen.blogspot.com/2009/11/free-idea-food-thursday.html

http://hotpinkvixen.blogspot.com/2009/09/salsa-chicken-rice-casserole.html

I have a lot more but I pulled the ones I could from my site while I'm at work.. I love allrecipe.com :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Dang, this looks awesome! I must try it. Thanks for passing it on, Lisa!

Kyla Roma said...

Oh Oh Oh! I love this- awesome! I'm going to have to make a veg version- but I've always been curious about these more exciting sauces so this completely piques my curiosity.

Lisa-Marie said...

This looks amazing! Also, LOVE your spice rack!

Check out Smitten Kitchen - the meatball recipes, and the glazed pork ones in particular are good. If you make a big amount of the pork, it tastes good with rice, noodles or salad, or in a wrap! Cant go wrong!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, that looks absolutely AMAZING!!!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Mmmmmm, that looks SOOOO good! I love anything with peanut sauce! LOVE IT! :)

Anais said...

I am at an impasse here... I love anything with peanut, but I don't really like food with coconut... I think I may give it a try anyways though :)