Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Phoenix Vacay Recap

My Phoenix trip couldn't have come at a better time. I really needed a break from the "Psych Experiment" that is my job. Nora came up with that and I think it's hilarious and sadly, a bit accurate. February was a difficult month, but I am feeling better about things lately. I am trying to remember that we grow the most when we are being tested. I know the year ahead of me is going to be challenging, but when it's all said and done, I think I will look back and be sort of glad that I went through it because I will grow as a result - and it is forcing me to figure out what I am good at, what I enjoy doing, and how I can apply my talents.

That said, I needed a break from Minnesota. I needed a break from my employer. I needed to go south to Phoenix to see some sunshine, my sister, and a best friend from college. Here is how the weekend played out!

On Saturday morning, my friend Heidi treated me to a pedicure as part of my birthday present! I haven't had a pedicure in ages so this was quite a treat! Plus it was lovely to break out some flip flops!!



Heidi also knows that I am a bit nutty about knitting - so she took me to this little gem of a store called "Knit Happens". It was so cute inside! And what a clever name for a shop. If I ever write a book, that just might be the title!


My sister Abby & her husband live in Tucson - it was Abby's birthday on Saturday so they came up to celebrate! I am so glad I was able to be there to celebrate on her actual birthday! I think the last time that happened was when I was in college!

Here's a little flash back for you to show you how much I have changed over the last year! Here is a picture of us from my trip last January.


And this is us this year! Abby is wearing the apron that I gave her as part of her birthday gift!


I am nearly 40 pounds lighter!! Thank God!! I am not quite at my goal yet and sometimes get frustrated about that - but then I look at photos like this & realize how far I've come!

We celebrated Abby's Birthday by going to a local Mexican restaurant. It was probably in the mid 60s so a little cool for Phoenix, but fantastic weather for this hearty Midwestern girl! My sister had a winter jacket and I wore a light cardigan, which I took off for this photo since we thought it'd be funny to show our different tolerances for 'cold' weather.


Here's a picture of Heidi & I as well!



We capped off the night with a game of "Loaded Questions" - great board game & a fantastic way to learn really random things about people!

All in all, it was a wonderful getaway! And in a few short months, I'll be back down in Tucson to celebrate my brother-in-law's graduation from his engineering program. Can't wait!

26 comments:

Carolina John said...

what a fun vacation! Great pics.

Carolina John said...

btw, i'm totally tagging you for the meme I did last night. 1st folder in my pics, 10th photo. GO!

I'maNolaGirl said...

What a fun trip! I love the name of that shop too! How funny are they!

Becky said...

Great pedicure - even cuter flip flops! You look GREAT!

Abby said...

Great pictures! I am glad so you were able to escape the Psych ward for a few days! And the weather was great for you (minus Sunday)...however, that rain was kind of nice (for us Arizonans!!).

You are absolutely right...this will be a huge growing experience for you. And some day you will be able to look back and say you're glad you did it.

I cannot believe how great you look! Especially comparing your picture from last year to this year! Way to go, Lisa!!!!

Cherry Blossoms said...

It was such a fun time and I was so sad after we dropped you off. At least I didn't cry in front of you! looking forward to coming down to Tucson for a night to see you.
Hang in there! Big hugs!!!

Mandy said...

You look absolutely fantastic! I am so, so glad that you were able to get away for the weekend. I also love the name Nora came up with for your job. Ha, I dont know what I would do with without you two.

Yes, someday you will look back on this time spent in the Psych Experiment and will realize how much it made you grow.

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

You look fantastic! 40 lbs in the past year? That is amazing!!!!
Your trip looks great!! I would love to go somewhere with great weather, this winter is a drag!

Unknown said...

Great pictures! Looks like a fun trip. Love the pedicure picture! A little escapism is always a good thing!! Hang in there. I have pictures of Kolin coming on my blog as soon as I get it posted!

aimee said...

it looks like you had a ton of fun! i can totally relate to the tolerance to cold weather soon..it's so funny when it gets in the 40's here and people start wearing flip flops and driving around with the tops down on their convertibles!! it's a long, cold winter for us! i'm glad you were able to get away for a weekend..i'm sure you needed it! you look great in those pictures!!

Nora said...

LOVE the flip-flops. Are they J. Crew?

I'm like you... I wore a tank top in Florida last month while everyone else was in sweaters and sweatshirts. Kind of funny if you ask me :)

Glad you had a great time. And also? Congrats on all the weight loss. You look amazing!!!!!

Jess said...

It looks like you had a great time..I think it's always important to get away from the craziness of every day life once in a while. Glad you managed to spend time with people you care about. Also, you do look really amazing!! You should be so proud of yourself!!

Leigh said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous and well deserved trip!

Ps- you look fantastic!

Emily Jane said...

Oooh I'm jealous you got to break out the flip flops! You are looking FABULOUS lady, too! :)

"I am trying to remember that we grow the most when we are being tested" - such a good way of looking at things. Looking back on my life I realise that the most challenging times were also the opportunities for the most growth, and that is something to be thankful for. Thinking of you miss :)

J said...

I love pedicures! So cute! I love those flip flops! That yarn store sounds so awesome! i want one here!

You look amazing after a year! Keep up the great work! 40 pounds is such an accomplishment! You really are doing great and you look fabulous!

Kyla Roma said...

What an amazing trip! I'm so glad that you're taking this break for yourself and that you know there will be a light at the end of the tunnel =)

Amber said...

Holy toledos, after seeing the first picture of you in front of the knitting store I was going to tell you how HOT you look anyways and then seeing your transformation from last year - one word, WOW!!! You look SO FREAKING GREAT!

Can you please do a blog post about your weight loss? I love reading that kind of stuff!

Also, SO glad you had such a wonderful and relaxing trip. You look so happy in those photos.

And Psych Experiment is right!!

Sarah said...

That pedi looks great! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time away. Personally, I'd love to have a little wander in that knitting shope...

I didn't realise that you've lost weight over the past year (I haven't been following your blog that long) and I cannot believe how much you've lost. 40 pounds? Way to go! You look fabulous.

Nicole said...

That sounds like the best weekend ever! You look so great! I hope that trip was the break you needed and deserved.

Kelly said...

Do you ever consider moving down to Arizona to be with your sister (and is your brother there too?)? Just wondering.

ALSO...You look SOOOO amazing! I don't think I even realized you had lost that much weight, congratulations! You are so right that you need to look at how far you have come instead of getting discouraged. You really look amazing! Your face is even glowing more!

Marlys said...

Great recap and loved your pedicure! Can you imagine how cold your feet would be if you did that in MN right now? I am so glad that Abby had family to celebrate with her again this year, although she now has "another family" in AZ!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

We hearty Midwesterners certainly do deserve (and sometimes need) a mid-winter break! That's why I can't wait to head to the beach in a few weeks!

By the way, you're looking great! Wish I could find the motivation to lose a little more weight!

Anais said...

LISA!!!! You look GORGEOUS and TINY!!! Seriously!! I can totally tell a difference from some of the pics you posted just a few months ago!!

Sorry if I'm showing a lot of excitement, it's just that I have a feeling we're at the same weight because I'm close to having lost 40 lbs too! How weird is that?? :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Lisa, you look awesome! Such a difference between your photo of a year ago! And I can spot a JCrew flip flop from a mile away. I have the exact same ones but green with white polka dots. Love love love them! Pedicures are the BEST.

Kelli said...

You look amazing!!! Great job. Looks like you had a great trip.

Shoshanah said...

Looks like a fun weekend! With most of my friends from college not only have a not spent a birthday with them since college, but I haven't seen most since college! So I'd love to be able to have a weekend like yours