Thursday, July 8, 2010

My 4th in Photos

I could tell you all about my fabulous 4th of July weekend, but I'm feeling sort of wordless today... So here are some photos I snapped!


I got up bright and early on Saturday morning to put in my 11 mile run while the rest of the family (except my early bird mom) slept. I love mornings at the lake when the sun reflects off the glass-like water!

Even though there is a huge lake to swim in, sometimes the boys need more entertainment. This made me miss my slip n' slide days!


I was almost tempted to give this a whirl, but figured I might actually break a hip or something!


My parents bought a new tube to pull behind the boat. It great for young kids since it's not likely that they'll fall out of the tube. Andrew and James let me ride along with them for a bit.


Sometimes all the sun can wear a person out and you just need to curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket like Mattie did on Sunday!


Fishing is quite popular with the boys. I do not touch worms, minnows, or fish, but am always willing to capture the moments on film. The first fish was a decent sized fish...


But they just got smaller...

and smaller! The last fish could have been bait, I swear.


Besides swimming and fishing, the boys spend lots of time playing in the sand. Mattie has apparently inherited the non-existent derriere that men in our family are known for...


This is actually one of my favorite pictures from the weekend. My favorite photos are always photos taken of the back of people. For me, there is a peacefulness to photos like this!
I can't believe the 4th has already come and gone! I hope summer starts to slow down soon!

How did you celebrate the 4th of July?

23 comments:

Charbelle said...

Such great pictures!! My favorite time of day is the early morning when the sun reflects and the lake looks like glass as well. There is just something so wonderfully amazing about it!

Kyla Roma said...

Oh so cute! I want a slip and slide!! And tubing? /swoon I want to be 8 years old for a day, it's official. :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

i spent it out on the lake partying with friends!

Nicole said...

Wow, it looks like you had a great 4th of July weekend! The boys are too cute!

I spent the weekend visiting with friends and family. It was a great break from the crazy life I've been living right now.

abbi said...

Looks like a great weekend...I definitely would have been tempted by that slip 'n slide too!

Mandy said...

I'm pretty sure you should frame that first picture and hang it on your wall. Its stunning. Those are some of my favorite mornings up on Lake Erie too. Its so peaceful! Your nephews are adorable and you totally should have gotten in on the slip and slide action.

Becky said...

Great pictures! The first and last are my favorite!

Unknown said...

Great pictures! Your family is so lucky to have that lake place. Think of all of the time you have spent together there. Such wonderful memories.

Jess said...

Your cabin looks so peaceful!! Love it.

And, yeah..seriously! Summer does need to slow down!

Nora said...

I saw a slip and slide last weekend too while I was on the lake out here and I realized how much I miss moments like those =) Your nephews are super adorable.

Confession: I've never gone tubing on the water. Or skiing. Or fishing, for that matter.

Looks like a lovely fourth of July weekend!

Abby said...

Such beautiful pictures!! Wow!! I am almost in tears I miss family so much :(

James is quite the fisherman!!! Wow! And that is so cool we've added a slip n slide!!

I agree about "back of people" pictures. I think the reason it's so peaceful is because it's natural. They're not forcing smiles, trying to look directly at the camera, etc.

Amber said...

Aww love all the photos! Tubing is one of my favourite things to do in the summer!

I actually really enjoy fishing, oddly enough. I do not enjoy TOUCHING the creepy, slimy fish though!

Gracie said...

Adorable. I would have been all over that slip and slide.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I recently learned that if you add a little Dawn dishwashing soap to the slip n' slide, it helps with the slickness factor. Then again, everyone seems to know that trick, so maybe I'm just behind the times.

Megan said...

That picture was too cute! It seems like everyone got to go to the lake for the 4th and I am jealous! It looked like a beautiful trip :)

Leigh said...

Great pictures Lisa! Your pictures make me want to go away to the beach and rent a cottage for a week!

Marlys said...

That first picture is so serene - it's why I love the lake! And Nilsa's suggestion for Dawn on the slip & slide is news to me but definitely worth a try! They did have some problem with sliding so we will try that next time! Thanks, Nilsa!

J said...

I celebrated the 4th by eating...a lot of food! And the sad part is that I didn't take any pictures from the whole weekend :(

Kelly said...

I can't believe how calm and beautiful that lake is at that time of day, amazing! The kids are so cute too, I love slip and slide, but I haven't done it in years I'm a little afraid as well.

Emily Jane said...

Fun!!! Can I come next time? :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

AWWW! From your pictures that lake reminds me very much of the lake I like to go to with my friends. It's calm and clean and so so pretty! Loved all your pictures! It looked like a fabulous time! : )

Jen said...

Awww... next time, take me with!!

Nicole said...

Oh my. Your family is so cute! We have a huge hill in our backyard and have talked about assembling a grown-up slip and slide (which probably just means it would be wider), but we have yet to do it. You raise a good point about the hip concern. :)