Friday, September 10, 2010

Labor Day Weekend Recap

I am finally getting around to recapping my Labor Day weekend. It's been a busy, busy week! So here's my recap, bullet point style, with some photos at the end...


This Labor Day weekend...
  • I felt my heart swell when my 3 year old nephew from Chicago hugged me and said, "I missed you" in the sweetest voice. And then I grinned ear-to-ear when he referred to me as Abby (my little sister) for the rest of the weekend. We sort of look alike, so I can't really blame him for mixing us up!
  • the world slowed down a bit when I had a coffee date with my cousin, who is more like a "sister from another mister". There's nothing better that catching up over a cup of coffee with a person who totally gets you. Tears were shed when talking about the disappointments of dating and other challenges I have faced this year, but it felt ok, and actually kind of good, to cry with her.
  • I was reminded that my GPS, aka Australia Lee, is not 100% reliable. He totally got me lost on the way to my aunt & uncle's lake cabin. So lost that I considered turning back and giving up. Luckily, my mom talked me out of that and my dad & uncle came to my rescue. They found me in the one-horse town I ended up in, and led the way. I did NOT find it funny at the time, but by the end of the day, I was joking about the fact that everyone brought a dish to share, and I couldn't even bring myself. I do NOT handle the feeling of being lost very well. But who does, right?
  • Plans were made for a girls trip to Boston in October of 2011. The men in our family go on a lot of hunting/fishing trips, so us girls are WAY over due for a trip of our own! I love planning trips so am so excited to plan this little vacation with my sisters, sisters-in-law, and mom!

And now for a couple of pictures...

My nephew Kolin - I love his brown eyes!!



My 4 nephews! It's rare to get them all together and sort of looking at the camera! L-R, Matthew and Kolin are in the front, Andrew and James are in the back.

This is me and my Godson, James. He lost his 2 front teeth this summer! I love how I am bundled up in jeans and a fleece, and he is in his swimsuit!! Kids are so tough and don't seem to feel the cold like us adults!!

Kolin and Matthew playing in the water. Again, let me emphasize that I was chilly in my fleece (but not complaining, I love these cooler fall temps) - and they were playing in the water!

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! Wish me luck tomorrow - I'll be doing the Bear Water 20 mile run as a training run for my marathon!

25 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Your weekend looks fab, and you have a VERY cute family!

Charbelle said...

These pictures are so fantastic!! They are all very handsome and will absolutely be heartbreakers one day!!!
Good luck tomorrow, I will be cheering you on from NC!!!

abbi said...

Looks like another wonderful weekend. Have a great time and good luck on the 20 miler!

Mandy said...

Autrailian Lee! I think I would drive around just to hear his voice. I'm glad that your dad and uncle came to your rescue, being lost isn't fun at all. Your nephews are adorable. I love the picture of all four of them. And a trip to Boston sounds beyond fabulous. Good luck tomorrow!! Can we track you or is that only for Portland?

Nora said...

Your nephews are totally adorable! I'm glad you had some very well deserved family time.

Good luck on the run tomorrow! I'm sure you will rock it :)

Becky said...

Great pictures and sounds like an awesome weekend! I've been to Boston but only in the early summer - it's such a cool city, and how awesome that you'll be going in the fall!!!

Jess said...

Sounds like a great weekend - even with the minor detour! Glad your family convinced you not to turn around!!

Good luck with your run :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

your nephews are adorable!
have a good run tomorrow! (i am typing this with frozen fingers haha)

Emily Jane said...

Aww, I was looking forward to these pictures! :)

BEST OF LUCK tomorrow!!

Marlys said...

I, too, was looking forward to the pictures - they were all so cute! It sure looked warmer in the pictures than it actually was! Brrr! I'm still cold!

Leigh said...

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend. Your nephews are so cute!

I am totally like you...I start to freak out and stress when I am lost. Worst feeling in the world!

Amber said...

Your nephews are all so adorable. They are going to be heartbreakers for sure!! ;-)

I'm glad you got caught up with your cousin. I LOVE catching up with old friends. It can make you feel so good.

Can't wait to hear about the 20-miler! You are going to kill it!!!

Abby said...

Oh, my Lisa...my blood is actually boiling for you thinking about getting lost this weekend. Seriously - nothing stresses me out than getting lost. And it doesn't happen that often for I have a pretty good sense of direction. Makes for a good story in the long run, right?! ;)

Those pictures of the boys seriously melts me. Almost brings tears to my eyes! I can't believe how much they are growing!!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning as you're doing Bear Run!!! I will be doing my 14 miler while you're doing the 20 miler! And guess what? - It was 60 DEGREES this morning! Woo hoo!! Have a great training run and enjoy!!

Gracie said...

They are so stinkin' cute. Isn't it true about the temps difference? I remember my grandparents scolding my mom for letting us run around barefoot in the winter. As if we cared!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

This sounds and looks like such a special weekend. It's hard to believe that there are 4 nephews and no nieces. What gives?!? =)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Ah, getting lost would totally suck but good that your family was there to rescue you. :) That Boston trip sounds awesome. Love having some serious girl and shopping time. ANd your nephew with his missing two front teeth...how cute!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

P.S. Good luck on the 20 miler! I was going to do mine this weekend, but then I decided to do it next weekend. I Think I'll do something between 13-17 miles this weekend and just focus on a steady marathon pace. Not too fast and not too slow.

J said...

I can't wait to have little nieces and nephews! They are so cute!

Good luck with the 20 miler this weekend! You are going to do great!!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoshanah said...

I'm a little jealous that you're starting to feel the fall temperatures. It was still in the 90s here today! I'm so over the summer heat

Unknown said...

What is the Bear Water run?

Stephany said...

Your nephews are ADORABLE! What a fun family!

GOOD LUCK on your 20 mile run tomorrow. You are so going to kill it!

Kyla Roma said...

Oh Lisa, I'm so glad that you found comfort in your cousin, sometimes just letting it out is the best thing.

And AS IF Australian Lee isn't totally reliable! I bet if he sent you off course it was only to get you alone so he can profess his love to you ;)

Anais said...

Love the pictures!!!

It is so special to have someone that you totally connect with! I find there are few people who you totally, absolutely connect with...

Have you been to Boston? I love that city :)

Oh said...

L - haven't visited in ages - my bad. But I hear all good things fromNor and loved it that you guys had a bloggers weekend in your town! I've never been there - Nor assures me that I , too, would fall in love with place.
You are an awesome hostess and also, this entry, with photos is absolutely darling!
Cheers!