Monday, February 7, 2011

Motivation Monday: 10 Mile Training, Week 3

Oh vey, I have not ran much lately. Yikes. I guess this is what happens when I totally over-schedule myself! Life has been fun, but hectic lately, and running has fallen on the list of priorities. I do plan to turn this around, though. I have a virtually unplanned week - well, aside from that trip to Paris. ;) The trip to Paris will be good for my training, though! I am bringing my running clothes and my goal is to run 4-5 times that week. I figure a run along the Seine in 30-50 degree weather is going to be pretty darn fantastic!

I did run outside last week for the first time since November!! Yikes, it had been a long time. On Friday morning, I had to pick something up at Walgreens so I decided to run there. The temp was around 18 degrees, which is pretty nice considering it was below zero with the windchill last week! So I threw on a couple of layers and headed out. I was reminded how much HARDER it is to run on snow-packed sidewalks. Some of the side walks had not been shoveled since Monday's snow fall, so I took it slow to avoid any potential falls. My pace was pretty craptastic, but I decided not to let it bother me. Traffic was light so on the way back from Walgreens, I ran on the road - which was significantly easier than running on the sidewalks!

My goal this week is to get to the gym Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I arrive in Paris on Saturday and plan on going for a run on Sunday morning. I need to ease back into training so will stick with 3-4 mile runs for now. Hopefully by the time I get back from Paris I can start to increase my mileage a bit.

When's the last time you ran outside? How cold is 'too cold' for you to run outdoors? For me, I prefer to run outside when it's 15F (-9C) or warmer! I just can't do anything colder than that!

19 comments:

Oh said...

When is the last time I ran outside? (when is the last time I ran anywhere - oh, yeah, down the hall in my corporate building to get to my office - that might be it, recently!)
ah, you're an inspiration. I might not have 5 miles in me, but I can at least walk really fast. You're brave. I'm waiting 'til everyone shovels their sidewalks.
But a run along the Seine!!!!!!
Now that's a reason to get up and suit up and get out there - absolument!

Jess said...

Ugh, winter running! I've been really trying to enjoy it, but I haven't found it in me yet. I'm proud of myself for pushing through it and running longer distances than I ever have before, let alone in cold weather, but I've already decided after this year, I won't be doing any more serious running in the winter. The coldest I've run in is about -38C (that's about -36F) and there was nothing fun about it!!

Stephany said...

Running along the Seine is going to be such an awesome experience! I'm a little jealous. ;)

I can't run in anything under 45 degree. Just. Can't. Do. It. I am a WIMP when it comes to winter weather so I'm VERY happy it's in the 60s/70s now and hope it just keeps getting warmer!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I'm a wimp in the cold so I really won't run out there if it's below freezing... in fact, I haven't ran outside at ALL this winter. Just sticking to my trusty treadmill! :)

Mandy said...

Um, running along the Seine sounds amazing!

You are so dedicated to run out in the cold. Compeltely. I am not a fan of the cold, at all. Anything below 20 is too cold for me to do much of anything. Hibernation works for me so well in the winter.

Unknown said...

Wish I could sit at a coffee shop overlooking the Seine and watch you run past!!!

Leigh said...

I haven't run outside in a long time! It's been too snowy here and that makes it so hard to run! But I have been running at the gym lately and it's been going pretty well. Definitely does not compare to outside though!

Abby said...

It has been very busy for you -- but you'll pick back up and be great by the time of your 10 mile race!

The sounds of running in Paris sounds fabulous. What a neat way to take in the sights, too!

I ran outdoors last week ;). But, I live in a different world than you in terms of weather. When I lived in ND - I wouldn't run less than like 15. Now? I won't run less than 40.

Amber said...

The coldest I have ran in is -15 C and snowing. My legs were NUMB after that run.

I don't really like to run in the cold/snow at all though and when I don't have anybody to meet up with (like last week!) I only end up running once. The thing that gets me out there in the winter is meeting the run group or my neighbour.

Can't wait to hear about your runs in Paris! I am jealous, that's going to be downright fantastic :)

Jess said...

Um, ran? Outside? Like legs moving and all?

Yeah. That would be when I was 13 doing PE trials. So 20 years?

I admire runners. You guys always have the BEST legs, and such dedication. I can't handle it though. My body (hip especially) falls apart.

J said...

I run outside when its almost 0F. As long as its not windy I can handle those temps just have to bundle up!

Unprofessional said...

Welcome back to the running world! I got in a few runs when I was in Paris...It was a fabulous way to see more of the city!! I'm so jealous of your trip-I hope you'll be blogging from Paris!! My limit is 5 degrees (as long as the wind is minimal) but in Saint Louis, it seems that nobody owns a shovel, as the walks are COVERED in snow. My LR is getting pushed inside for that very reason, and I'm unhappy. Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Running along the Seine will be amazing!! :) Wow!

You've totally inspired me to start running and to stick with it. I know. I say this every year in your blog comments (lol) but this time I mean serious business!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh man... I haven't run outside since probably October or November. I don't really love running in the cold- like under 40 probably but also it's just not safe right now, the roads are so icy and NARROW because we've had so much snow. I've seen people running outside but I don't think it's a good plan myself :)

Running in Paris is going to be awesome!

Gracie said...

I think the coldest I've ever run outside is high teens and that was basically a freak of nature. I used ot ski and skate like a maniac, though. I guess when I was little the cold didn't bother me as much!

Erin said...

I was planning on getting back into MY running regime this evening---and then I went and messed up my foot this morning!
I'm sooooooo jealous you'll be in PARIS soon. TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

The last time I ran outside was May 30th, when I did a 5K. It was -5. I think that is the coldest temp. I would like to run in.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't even fathom that feeling right now as you're just about to jet set to Paris alone and knowing how fabulous it's going to be! AHHHHH!!!! Have so much fun. It was cold tonight...prob in the 30s (but that's cold for us). We ran a hard and fast 5 miler. The manfriend ran just ahead of me so he was pulling me the entire time.

Marlys said...

I don't like to run outside when it's below zero - the wind on my face is just too grueling. Oops, wait, I don't run outside ever! :)! That run on the Seine sounds too cool! I will be excited to read your blog while there!