Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Music, Books, Miles, and Looks of May

Music: 



Turning Tables by Adele - The music industry is benefiting from the fact that I am taking the CFA.  I keep rewarding myself for studying by buying albums.  My latest purchase is Adele's new CD.  I think she has such a gorgeous, soulful voice.



Enchanted by Taylor Swift - Since I based this post off the lyrics from this song, I feel like this should be one of my top songs from the month.  I will say, Taylor Swift does not sound awesome live - at least not in this video...  And if you listen to it, it cuts away to interviews half way through...  but at least it gives you an idea of what the song sounds like. 

Books:

The Blue Orchard by Jackson Taylor - This was the May blogger book club book.  I didn't love the book and struggled with it a bit...  but it was a fairly fast read and the blogger book club discussions were interesting.  This month we are reading "Something Borrowed".  I am not sure if I will like this book as I know it deals with infidelity and I don't think that's a light/funny/cute subject...  But we'll see what I think of it!

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - I really liked this book - it was a book that Nora recommended I read and she was spot on with this recommendation.  It's set in Barcelona and is about a young boy that discovers a book that is being systematically destroyed so that no copies will remain. 

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard - This was a fun, light read, which is just what I needed.  It tells the story of a young girl in her upper 20s who falls in love with a Frenchman and moves to Paris.  I kind of want her life.  Similar to other books I've read that were set in France, each chapter concludes with a couple of recipes.  Definitely a fun book for a Francophile to read!

Miles:

It was a better mileage month for me,  but still not great.  Total miles were around 50 I think?  Which doesn't sound like much to most runners, but it's good enough for me...  Right now I just don't have the time to put in a lot of miles each week, but that will change when I finish this test!  I mean, I will gain about 15-20+ hours of my week back so I will have NO EXCUSE not to run.

Looks:



This is one of the dresses I bought last month.  Actually, I bought this dress in 2 colors - the brown pictured here and then an olive green color.  Yes, I take a Mr. Rogers approach to dresses.  I realize it's boring, but oh well!  I work with a bunch of men and most of them don't pay attentioned to what I wear so they would never really notice that I have the same dress in 2 different colors.  I pair it with a cardigan and some flats.  Perfect summer outfit in my opinion.

22 comments:

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Great reviews and they are much appreciated!

Nora said...

I struggled with Something Borrowed. At first I kind of liked it but then, not so much. There were some elements I could relate to, like the constantly competing friends and etc., but that was about it. I'll save the rest for when I'm hosting the discussion next week!

I LOVE ADELE. She's amazing and yes, very soulful.

Ashley said...

Adele and Taylor Swift! Sounds like we have similar taste in music. I agree that Taylor Swift doesn't sound great live, but her music is so catchy! Enchanted in one of my favorites from her new album.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, I am going to have to read The Shadows of the wind if you enjoyed it. I finished The Prince of Mist recently, it's very good!

I love that dress, so simple and chic, and it looks comfortable.

Marlys said...

I, too, like that dress! Looks so comfortable and still cute! Three days left before the big CFA!

Raquelita said...

I love to listen to Taylor Swift and Adele, among others, while I'm writing lectures or transcribing documents. That dress is very cute!

Could you recommend an Italian restaurant in downtown Minneapolis for Saturday night? I want to take my hubs out to dinner before the race, but need to carb up.

Leigh said...

That dress is super cute! I hope the rest of your studying goes well :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Those dresses are cute! I love dresses in the summer, they're so comfortable and easy to wear.
Adele is fantastic! I love both her albums and listen to them all the time!
Taylor Swift was just in Des Moines for the 3rd time in three years, I have to admit... if I knew someone that would actually go, I would have gone to see her! I think she's a wonderful role model for girls.

Unknown said...

I love Adele's voice. I also love the piano in the video. If I was wealthy and had a big house, I would have a Yamaha grand piano. They really are wonderful instruments.

(Just a random thought from your random aunt.)

missris said...

I will read pretty much anything about Paris, especially if it involves love! Have you read The Paris Wife? It's about Hemingway's first wife. I'm halfway through already and I love it!

Amber said...

I LOVE Adele. I haven't bought her album yet because I just listen to it on Grooveshark alllll day at work.

I'd never heard that song by Taylor Swift before!!

I couldn't get my hands on a copy of Something Borrowed for the book club BUT I have read it before - like 3 years ago - AND I just saw the movie last night. So I feel like I can kind of participate in the discussions :)

Oh, and I also really like that dress - totally cute!

Mandy said...

I am a huge fan of Adele. She is crazy talented.

That dress looks super cute and comfy.

Have you read Lucia, Lucia? Nora recommended it to me and I devoured it in one day.

Jess said...

Love that dress - super cute!!

Cherry Blossoms said...

I loved Lunch in Paris and I think the dress you bought is super cute.
I have my countdown going Oct 22nd its a date with Taylor Swift! Kate still has no idea. I think we will tell her when I see her in person in a few weeks.

Becky said...

Obsessed is not the right word to describe my love for Adele. And for all the studying you've been doing you've read a lot of books this month! Go you! T minus three days!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I read Something Borrowed a long time ago and I THINK I liked it, but I have to re-read because I remember really liking one- Something Borrowed or Something Blue better than the other... and I think it was partly just knowing both perspectives was interesting to me. I have to review the book before we talk about it though. I will say though, I stopped reading that author because all she talks about is cheating and it got old to me.

I DO really like Adele right now too and I am going to listen to that Taylor Swift song now :)

crystal said...

I adore Adele!! Oh and I really like that dress, it is totally worth 2 colors!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Adele is so awesome! I just recently got her CD, but haven't been able to listen to the whole thing yet. What I have heard, I love - especially her version of "To Make You Feel My Love" on youtube.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I am all about buying the same things in multiple colors if it looks good!!!

Erin said...

I've been wanting the Adele CD. "Rolling in the Deep" has been my "get up and go song" lately. I get pumped every time it comes on the radio :)

Taylor Swift writes some pretty awesome lyrics. I took my nieces to see her in 2009 and they were over the moon excited (Me too!).

Also- I received "Lunch in Paris" as a shower gift :) I haven't read it yet, though. Hopefully I'll get to in a few weeks!

Great post, Lis!

Lunch in Paris said...

So glad you enjoyed Lunch in Paris! If you make any of the recipes, do post pics to www.facebook.com/LunchinParis

I totally agree with your Mr. Rogers approach to dresses, when I find one I like, I always wish I'd bought it in 5 colors...

Kristina said...

I absolutely love the new Adele CD. Her voice is simply amazing and I cant get enough of it!

New follower!

Kristina
http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/