Thursday, October 6, 2011

Race Week

Greetings readers!  I haven't mentioned it this week as I have had other topics to write about, but this is race week for me!  I am super excited for my trip, but am a bit bummed that my race week is falling so close to when I was sick.  I've pretty much been sick for the last 2 weeks, but have been on antibiotics for a week now, so I am feeling much better. 

So what does this mean?  It means I probably need to adjust my expectations for this race.  I still plan on running a strong race, but I am mentally preparing msyelf to not make my sub-2 hour goal.  I will work my butt off on race day, but we'll see how it all comes together.  I ran with my run club last weekend and finished the run with a doctor; he told me that after you have a cold, it can take up to 3 weeks for your respiratory system to fully recover.  So while my legs might have a sub-2 hour 1/2 in them, my lungs just might not.

And that is ok.  There will be other races.  I know I will make this goal eventually.

With that said, here are my A, B, and C goals for the race.

A Goal:  Finish strong and with a smile on my face.  This is obviously an achievable goal.

B Goal:  PR, which means running faster than 2:04:24.  I think this is doable as well.

C Goal:  Finish in less than 2 hours.  This will be a challenge, but if I feel good on race day, I think I can do it.

Whatever happens on race day, I know I am going to have a fabulous time!  I can't wait to rendezvous with Amber, Lauren, and Leigh!  We are going to have so much fun together. I am sure that Amber will be blogging about our trip, so hop over to her blog if you want to see what we are up to! 

I fly out this afternoon and come back on Monday!  Have a great weekend everyone!

19 comments:

abbi said...

Best of luck to you and have a fun weekend! I think the having fun is the key, just enjoy it and you might surprise yourself!

Jess said...

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

Raquelita said...

Good luck, Lisa! I know you are going to have a blast and run a strong race!

Gracie (Complicated Day) said...

Good luck, you've been running really strong times this summer so I think you can make your sub-2 easily!

missris said...

Good luck! I hope you have an amazing time and I can't wait to hear about it!

Leigh said...

See you tomorrow!

B and B said...

Take care of yourself...

Marlys said...

Run like the wind! But don't overdue it if you aren't up to par! Have a fun trip!

Abby said...

You will do great -- just remember to enjoy yourself and listen to your body!!

Enjoy the weekend!! I know you will -- and have a safe flight! I will be thinking of you!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

You are going to have a great time! Obviously don't overdo it if you don't feel well, but I think you can totally reach your sub 2 goal! You and Amber can keep each other going just enough to do it! I know you can!

Have a great weekend!

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I know you don't want to push yourself too hard but I don't want you to sell yourself short either. I am SO EXCITED to run this race with you and I'm hoping we can stick together for most of it or ALL of it - but like your coach said, no talking or chatting allowed ;) ;)

I still can hardly believe I see you TOMORROW. Whoo!

Carolina John said...

have a safe trip and good luck in the race! Tell Amber I said hi.

Just knock down those easy 9 minute miles and sub-2 is all yours. You got this one.

J said...

Good luck this weekend! Hope you have a great time and a great race! That stinks about being sick - but just do your best and see what happens! You never know!

Unprofessional said...

have a good trip and best of luck!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Man, being sick is so annoying! But hopefully it will take some of the pressure off and you'll meet your goal anyway!!!

Hope you guys have a great time!

Jeanie said...

Your goals are exactly what goals should be! Good luck at the race! May you reach them all!

Becky said...

Have a fabulous weekend and give Amber a big hug for me! Have a great race, but I'm glad to hear you're going to be easy on yourself for it - let your body recover!

Lisa-Marie said...

Have a good trip, good luck, and be proud that you can and will achieve at least two of your goals. :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I hope your race went well!!!!!!