Thursday, November 10, 2011

Ten Days of Thanksgiving: Day 1

Today I kick off my 10 Days of Thanksgiving posts!  It's hard to believe it is my 4th year of doing this!  Last year Becky & Erin played along - so if you would like to play along, too, that would be awesome! 

I look forward to this post each year as it is great to be forced to sit down and think of all the many blessings in my life - and to capture my reflections on those blessings!

Today I am thankful for all the many travel opportunities I have had this year!!

I have been blessed this year to have traveled to many cities and to have seen so many friends and family members.  For most of these trips, I stayed in the home of a friend or family member - it was so generous for so many to host me!

I will (mostly) let the stories do the telling!

In January I flew to Tucson to visit my sister Abby and her husband Ryan.


Hiking at Mount Lemmon

Abby & I at a fabulous sushi restaurant - eating outside in JANUARY!!
 During this trip we drove up to the Phoenix area so I could see my friend Heidi and meet her new baby girl, Elle!
Heidi, Elle, and I, standing in front of her beautiful lemon tree!

Later in the month of January, I flew down to St. Louis to visit Nora!  It was so great to stay in her home and meet her parents.  I lovingly refer to her dad as Michael Corleone as he is a true Italian father!

Nora & I at a fabulous Mexican restaurant where we had my early Birthday dinner!

In February I traveled to Paris to celebrate my 30th birthday!  The trip was tres magnifique!!

Running along the beautiful Seine was one of the highlights of my trip!

In April I flew to Washington, D.C. to visit Becky!  We had read each others' blogs for years but this was our first time meeting in person.  She was a fabulous host!!

Becky and I got to see D.C. during Cherry Blossom season - it was a gorgeous time to visit this city!
 The whole reason I took this trip to D.C. was to meet up with Charbelle so we could run the Cherry Blossoms 10 mile race together!  It was not our best race, but we both finished (and were so glad when it was over!).

Charbelle & I before the race. 
 After that trip, I took a much needed long break from travel.  In September, I flew to Charlotte for work and spent the weekend with Charbelle, but unfortunately we did not take a SINGLE picture (blogger fail).

Later in September, I took a trip to Austin and Dallas for work, but once again, I took no pictures - mostly because this trip was pretty much all work and not much fun (and I was really sick)...

In October, I flew to Seattle.  Lauren picked me up at the airport and we spent the night at her friend's house. 

Standing by Green Lake in Seattle

The next day, we met up with Amber and Leigh and took the ferry to Victoria.  We had been planning this trip since the spring and all of us were so excited to both check out a new city and complete another race (a half marathon for Amber, Leigh, and I, and a full marathon for Lauren).

Us 4 girls, standing by the Victoria Harbor!
Later in the month of October, I flew to Chicago for my niece Anna's baptism!
 
Anna, sleeping in her car seat, wearing her baptismal gown
After the baptism, I took a train into the city where I was able to meet up with an old friend.  We took a walk through Millennium Park!

Standing in front of the bean on a beautiful fall day in Chicago!

Later that day, I was able to spend some time with Nilsa, but unfortunately, once again I did not take any photos (blogger fail... again...).

***

Ufda, that was a lot to recap.  I went a lot of places in 2011!  I *think* I am done traveling for the year, but there is a chance I will have another trip to Chicago possibly.  We'll see what the next 8 weeks bring. 

What a whirlwind year it has been.  Judging from the number of places I have been, I guess I should not be surprised that this year has been a blur! 

** Also, I find it funny that I am wearing stripes in quite a few of these photos.  ;) 

What are you thankful for today?

20 comments:

Marisa A. said...

Wow that is in insane lady! So much travel, I'm jealous! And so much running! Also jealous ;)

Carolina John said...

How neat! This year I've been to Florida, DC, the outer banks, Savannah GA and Myrtle Beach.

Any time you want to come to Raleigh NC we'd love to host you!

Jeanie said...

This is a terrific post and a terrific idea. You HAVE been on the road! I'm not sure I can cram in 10 days, but I think I'll have to do at least a few of these! Thanks for the idea~!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

You have traveled so much this year! I love traveling and really miss that about my old job (not Justice, CLL).

This is such a good idea, I think I will definitely participate! Starting tomorrow! ;)

Abby said...

What a fun post! That is amazing how many states you visited in just one year! Awesome. And all those races you did! I didn't do one race all year :( (although I trained for a marathon...just didn't get to run it!)

I love that picture of you running in Paris. You look so happy!

This year (since last thanksgiving) my travel destinations were: Omaha, White Mountains, AZ camping, Parter Canyon camping (southern AZ), Battle Lake, MN, and San Diego, CA!

It's kind of weird how little I leave the city I live in. I haven't been out of the Tucson area since August! I probably shouldn't advertise that ;)

missris said...

You are so adorable and photogenic! Can I just say I'm jealous that you've been to Chicago twice since I moved? Bad timing on my part because otherwise we could have met up!

Nora said...

So much travel! Love that I got to see you this year (twice!) and can't wait to see a bunch in 2012 :)

Also- I've never been to the Bean. I want to go. I must do that one of these days.

And stripes look fabulous on you!!!

Marlys said...

Wow - that was one truckload of traveling! The year has gone so fast! What will next year have in store for you? I know you already have some trips in mind! You should keep a travel diary, but this blog kind of works as that, doesn't it?

Stephany said...

Holy crap! You did a LOT of traveling. I'm not sure how you remembered it all. :)

Next year? A trip to Florida? Maybe? Hehe.

I think I'm going to join you for this Ten Days of Thanksgiving idea! Looks like fun.

Leigh said...

You definitely have traveled a lot this year and that is something to be thankful for! :) I personally think your trip to Victoria was the best, but I might be a little bias ;)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Even though I have followed you (errr, your blog - I'm not a stalker, I swear) all year, it's still really cool to see this recap. And dude, we saw each other TWICE this year with more to come in 2012? Sweet! We'll be sure to get pictures then. We can't both fail again (and again and again....). =)

Unknown said...

Very fun to focus on being thankful. What an interesting post. You live an exciting life, I think!

Little Fish said...

So when are you coming to NYC?

Oh and I'm grateful for iMessage ;)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow, you really HAVE traveled a lot this year. I knew about all these trips but seeing them all together makes it seem a lot more crazy :) I hope Boston is on your agenda for next year, but even if it doesn't happen I will get to see you in July either way, yay!

crystal said...

Wow! I knew you traveled a lot, but it looks crazy when you type it out like that! :)

Amber said...

Wow I knew you traveled a lot this year but when you put it all out here like this it's A LOT!!!

I feel like I've traveled a decent amount (not nearly as much as you!) I went home to FSJ, Ottawa, Medicine Hat, Minneapolis and now Orlando for plane trips and then Victoria was a big trip for me as well even though I didn't fly!

I'm SO GLAD we managed to see each other twice this year despite the distance between us. Let's keep that track record up shall we?? :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Ah, I love your stripes! You traveled a lot this year. It's always fun to look back on a year and remember all the exciting trips.

Cherry Blossoms said...

What a wonderful year of memorable travels for you. I still to this day am so thankful that you came to have lunch with us and were able to meet Elle. Elle is very blessed to have Auntie Lisa in her life.

Becky said...

You're a traveling fool! (And I can't wait to see you again!) I'm definitely doing 10 days of thankful - starting tomorrow!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That IS a lot of traveling!!!

I am thankful that school is done in 2.5 weeks. I am so ready for a BIG break.