Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicago Recap - Belatedly

Oh wow, it's already been 2 weeks since our girls trip to Chicago.  Between parlaying that fun trip into a work trip, having sinus surgery, and recovering from sinus surgery, I can honestly say the last 2 weeks of my life have been a foggy blur.

But here are some of the memories I am holding onto...
  • The delicious meal + wine we had when I arrived on Friday night.  I got in late because of a flight delay, but I let the frustration of that experience go and focused on enjoying the company of Becky, Amber, and Lesli.
  • On Saturday we went out to Oak Park and toured Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio.  I do not like FLW as a person, but I do respect him as an architect.  His home and studio are amazing - and are definitely worth checking out if you find yourself in the Chicago area.  The girls all loved this as much as I did, which was a relief for me as it was something I had recommended.
  • On Sunday, I feasted upon delicious paella at an awesome Spanish restaurant and then we spent a low key afternoon in a Barnes & Noble. That's my kind of day. Oh and I stayed strong and did NOT buy any books!
  • Ordering Thai on Sunday night, watching the red carpet + Golden Globes and having my nails painted by Amber and Becky.  I got star treatment!
  • The conversations.  Chicago is wonderful, but it came second to the talks us girls had about everything from blogging to friendship dynamics to dating/marriage to FLW to books we thought the others HAD to read.  We also FaceTimed with Amber, which was so much fun!!
  • My business meetings went really well - so well that one of the clients sent me a very kind and complimentary email.  I am still new to client meetings, so I needed that positive reinforcement.
I'll close with a couple of shots that the lovely Becky took!

Brunch at Yolk! 

Waiting for the El.  Or the L.  We got mixed answers on the 'right' nickname for Chicago's public transportation system!

Becky & I
Do you have any vacations coming up?  I am done with fun vacations until after the CFA.  My next trip will be my trip to western British Columbia for Amber's wedding in July!  Eeks - so excited!!

20 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Cannot wait to see you at your next trip!!!

Looks like you guys had a blast in Chicago- I love all your pictures! :)

Raquelita said...

I had brunch at Yolk when I was in Chicago, too! I'm glad you got to enjoy some time with girlfriends!

My next vacation will be a few days in San Antonio to see my sister and meet my new niece!

Stephany said...

Sounds like a great little vacation, before the hell of sinus surgery happened. :)

AshleyD said...

I read the recaps from the other girls and it really sounds like y'all had a fun vacation! My next vacation will be late March when I go visit Peter again, and then I'm going to Vegas for BiSC in May. I'm so excited!

Becky said...

Yay! I miss Chicago too! It's weird to think it's been two weeks because I felt like the trip took forever to get here, but time since then has been flying. So glad we got to do it!

The next place we're going is Ohio in May for my Grandpa's 90th birthday, then North Carolina in July for a cousin wedding. It's going to be a busy summer/fall I think!

qwerkyqook said...

So jealous you saw the FLW house! Glad you surgery went well, heal those sinuses!!

Anonymous said...

What lovely photos, really looks like you ladies had a great time :)

Hope you're recovering well from your surgery!

Carolina John said...

That does sound like a lot of fun! Certainly more fun than the surgery. I've always wanted to see Chicago.

missris said...

I'm so sad we'd already moved when you visited--Chicago is such a fun place to show people around. As for the El/L, I've heard it both ways. It's short for elevated train, but people shorten it to El OR L. Who knows. Whatever the answer, I sure do miss the trains!

Caroline said...

I love Chicago! I've only been for a weekend for the marathon but it was such a beautiful city. Looks like you had so much fun!

Amber said...

I'm glad you had such a great time!! Girl bloggers weekends really are the best thing ever and the conversation is always flowing!

Can't wait to see you in just FIVE months!!! Hope it goes fast :)

Leigh said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time in Chicago! I have never been and my mom went last summer and loved it. Must get there one day :)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! I love Chicago, even in the winter!

I don't have any trips planned. I am thinking maybe a road trip for my next race...maybe. It is hard to plan when I am not sure where I will be!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Love the pics from your Chicago trips. Girl time like that is just so fulfilling. I need some of that in my life. My girl hangouts have been few and far between.

My friend Kristin who moved from Eugene to Nashville for more school is coming to visit at the end of Feb and I CAN'T WAIT. She and I have so much fun together and have a lot in common so it's hard to live so far away. Sometimes, I just wished all my good girlfriends could live in the same city. Unrealistic, I know. :)

San said...

How fun! I miss girl time like this! Lovely pictures!

crystal said...

Hmm...maybe I do want to plan a Chicago trip, it sounds like you had a blast! Im glad you had fun, you all look so happy in the pictures, nothing like a girl's trip to do that :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I too can spend a whole afternoon in a bookstore :-)

I have a trip to NY coming up with another couple. Can't wait!

Marlys said...

Sounds like your trip was ideal! I'm so glad you gals had such a great time! I haven't been in the city of Chicago for quite some time now, even though we get to the area several times a year!

Jeanie said...

This sounds like such fun and you all look fabulous! So glad you had such a good time.

And hope by now you're feeling a lot better!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I'm still sad I missed visiting with you during that trip. But, it seems like you filled your time just fine. I also miss Yolk - used to live just a few blocks away. =( There's a new breakfast place that opened up not far from Yolk, called Waffles. Maybe we should check it out next time you're in town! =)