Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekend Mash-up

I hope you all have a great weekend!  In two words, mine was plan-free and productive.  Just what I needed after a string of busy weekends.  I feel a bit discombobulated today, so here's a dashed recap of the thoughts & happenings of my weekend.

- I ran 10 miles, mostly in the rain, on Saturday.  Running in the rain isn't pleasant, but I didn't let it hold me back.  It went fairly well, but I was definitely ready to be done!  The garmin of the girl I was running with hit the 10 mile mark .12 miles before mine did...  I think that is a pretty big difference as we ran side-by-side the whole time...  I hope my garmin isn't on its last leg...

- I've gotten to the point where I just accept that my weekends are busy and sort of exhausting.  I've accepted that I will dash from running to studying to church to making dinner to whatever else I need to do each weekend.  I did well on the section assessments I took this past weekend, so I am feeling good about my progress.  Just under 5 weeks until test day! 

- I've also accepted the fact that I probably won't sleep well until after the CFA.  Like this weekend I was awake at 4:30 on Saturday even though my alarm wasn't going off until 5:45.  I feel relatively calm about the CFA stuff, but I think I'm more stressed than I think I am, and it's manifesting itself in my inability to sleep deeply and for as many hours as I'd like.

- Despite the weekend full of studying, I made 2 recipes this weekend:  a GF/DF Tuna Casserole recipe (I know that will disgust many/most of you, but it's comfort food for me), and Pasta Puttanesca! Oh yum, the puttanesca turned out awesome.  I rarely make pasta sauces from scratch, but really need to more often as they are so easy and SO delicious!  I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers this week.  

- Today would have been my paternal Grandfather's Birthday.  He passed 3+ years ago, and I miss him so much.  I might need to eat some ice cream for him today.  He was all about ice cream and thought you were never too full for a scoop.

How was your weekend?  What's on your mind today?

18 comments:

abbi said...

When I run with others, sometimes our Garmins are way off, just depends. I actually like Tuna casserole but I've only ever made one once and it got it big thumbs down from my husband and he basically said no more tuna casserole!

Raquelita said...

I am a huge fan of tuna noodle casserole as a comfort food, which is kind of strange because I loathed it as a kid and would hardly touch the stuff. M. is also a fan, so we usually have it about once a month during the colder months of the year.

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping well. I hope that you are able to catch some quality zzz's during the next few weeks before the exam!

missris said...

It sounds like you are definitely prepared for the big test, and it'll be over before you know it! And then it'll be summer and you can have some fun--you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand when you say you think you're more stressed than you realized. That's exactly how I felt during finals. I wasn't *stressed* per say, but it would manifest itself through my eating habits or sleep habits quite regularly. Sounds like you had a nice weekend otherwise... You're so close to being done with studying for the summer! You can do it! :)

Marlys said...

Congrats on doing well on the assessments! I'm sure you will do well on the test! I feel for you on the sleep department - as it is so needed when you are under stress! I, too, love tuna casserole! The other recipe you made soounds interesting, too! See you this weekend! I miss you!

Cherry Blossoms said...

I have to say running in the rain actually sounds like fun! Just having a rainy day in general would make me happy!
That is so cute about your grandpa. Yes, you better have a scoop!
Hang in there and the best part is you won't have to study over the summer which means lots of fun time!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Sounds like a perfectly balanced weekend of running (oiy, I hate running in the rain!), studying and relaxing! Every year to celebrate my (deceased) grandfather's birthday, I always make strawberry shortcake, because that's what he would eat on his birthday every year. I've been doing this for almost a decade and think it's a great way to remember such a wonderful man.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love Tuna Casserole! It's definitely a traditional dish in my family as well! I am also a fan of those leave in the fridge overnight breakfast egg casseroles. As you know, I am a one pot/one dish meal person, so that is right up my alley.

You are lucky you were close with your grandfather. Mine have both been gone for almost 20 years, but I was never very close to them in the first place. My father is the Never Too Full For a Scoop guy in my family!

Amber said...

Definitely have some ice cream for your grandfathers birthday today! The CFA is so so close and you've worked so hard. I know you are going to do so well!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

My grandfather on my mom's side eats ice cream every night and he is 91! This is why I don't mind my ice cream habit :) I was thinking of my dad's side grandfather last week as he passed away 18 years ago last Friday, I can't believe how long it's been since I remember him well. You should definitely have some ice cream in honor of your grandfather!

I find often times when I feel calm about something, my body does not feel calm either in sleeping or in my stomach. Sometimes I think its better if I'm freaking out and then I don't take it out on my body!

Becky said...

You had quite a weekend! I'm glad you're feeling more settled in the CFA materials - June 2nd will be here before you know it!

My weekend was a good mix of fun and busy. I hosted a 31 Party, met a friend for coffee, picked up my dad from the airport, and started and finished a book. Fabulous indeed!

Gracie said...

Almost got that CFA done! I know your whole body is looking forward to that. Good job fitting a ten miler in even with your busy schedule.

Abby said...

What a productive weekend! those are the best! I had the weekend off, too. It was heavenly to have 3 whole days off, especially after seriously working 8 14 hour days in a row. I was feeling rather burnt out.

(and hold your breath on replying "Oh I'm so glad your changing jobs" Because now I'm not. Long story. Totally crushed. Don't want to talk or think about it.)

Way to go on running 10 miles! I bet that was a huge stress reliever with how much has been going on.

what's on my mind --- the mini rant I started on above ;)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

My weekend was great! Yeah, I can't imagine you will sleep well until that exam is behind you!

Stephany said...

You had a REALLY productive weekend! Running in the rain is totally badass so that's awesome. :)

The CFA is so close! A month away. You're in the home stretch now! Woo!

Unknown said...

I love tuna casserole, but never make it anymore.
Happy Birthday, Rudy.

Alli said...

Cah-ute cardigan!

I'm picking up Divergent and City of Thieves at the libraby today. I think I'm gonna start with Divergent because I'm guessing it's a quick read like Hunger Games.

Alli said...

Oops, that comment was meant for the post above this one. Oh well.

PS- Puttanesca is my fave!