Thursday, August 16, 2012

Make These!

Happy Thursday - it's almost the weekend!  Yea!

One thing I love about summer is all the fresh produce that is in season.  There is a farmer's market downtown on Thursdays during the day and a small one by my condo on Saturday, so it is easy for me to stock up on fresh produce on a regular basis.

One vegetable I have really fallen in love with as an adult is zucchini.  I don't have many memories of having this as a child - I am sure my mom served it, but I just don't remember it.  So it's been fun to discover recipes and ways to use it as an adult.

If you like zucchini, you HAVE to make these:

{Source}
Sausage-stuffed Zucchini boats.  I made them last week when I had some girlfriends over to help me hang pictures on my walls (FINALLY!), and they were a hit.  Yes, they have dairy as they are topped in cheese, so it was my dairy splurge for the week.  You could easily make them vegetarian by either skipping the sausage or using vegan sausage (which I've heard is actually good!).  A serving = 1 half of a boat, unless you have the appetite of someone training for a marathon - then you'll eat 2 halves.

Gina, the author of the Skinny Taste blog (which is an awesome blog for healthy, delicious recipes), also posted a Chicken Enchilada Stuff Zucchini Boat recipe last week and I think I will be giving that a try!!

What is the best new recipe that you've made lately?  Or are there any recipes you are looking forward to trying soon?  I think I am going to make this Mexican Red Lentil Stew recipe when I am home next weekend.  I love lentils so am sure I'll love it!

20 comments:

missris said...

Wow these look really good and I have so much zucchini in my fridge right now. I'm definitely going to have to try them!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Mmmmm, yum!! My dad always had a garden growing up (and still does). Zucchini is one of those vegetables we always had too much of!! We will have to try this - looks yummy and healthy!

Erin said...

Triple YUM! Definitely adding these to my list!

Carolina John said...

I've been reading up a lot on raw vegan stuff lately. Lots of fruit is coming in season now so it's really plentiful and cool. Neat stuff!

Elizabeth said...

This looks delicious.

Yummy!!

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Marlys said...

They look delicious! And yes, we did have zucchini when you were growing up! I made a combination casserole with zuchhini and other vegetables that you kids devoured! I also used it to make zucchini breads and bars! But the use of it in these past years has escalated and I love it grilled! I think it is used in much healthier ways than in the past!

Nora said...

Yum, that sounds/looks delicious! Thanks for sharing; not sure if I can eat zucchini with all my weird allergies but I may have to try (with benadryl on hand, of course!)

San said...

Zucchinis are my FAVORITE vegetable! I have to try these! Thanks for the suggestion!

J and A said...

These look amazing!! Must try.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I just roasted some zuchinni and squash! I also am going to need to make those chicken enchilada stuffed zuchinis!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Yum Yum! I've seen a few versions of these boats. Great way to use up the zucchinis and a fun thing to serve for guests! You are brilliant to invite friends over to help you hang pictures. I would probably just stare at the wall and feel depressed that I couldn't get things perfectly hung. Haha...

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Mmmmm, I'm loving all the cheesey goodness on those!

Becky said...

Mmmm! They look so good! I just found a recipe for naturally sweetened peach crisp that I'm going to try this weekend (while wearing my new Anthropologie apron no less!)

Raquelita said...

Nom nom nom! Those look delicious! I might have to start making these kinds of things for lunches when they involve veggies my husband won't touch.

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I love zucchini- along with mushrooms and eggplant they are my favorite veggies in my adult life. I don't really eat sausage or cheese but I feel like i could modify these somehow :)

Cherry Blossoms said...

I am def going to make these! I have made so many good recipes from skinny taste but I had not seen those. Was it B and A that came over for a girls night? I want B to come decorate my place!

Leigh said...

That recipe looks delicious! Might have to give it a try. Zucchini is also good if you cut it into strips, dunk it into an egg wash and then coat with bread crumbs. Bake in the oven on a cookie sheet and enjoy! So yummy and delicious

Amber said...

Yessss this was SO GOOD! I will definitely be making this again and again!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love stuffed zucchini! It is really good with rice or couscous too! We usually make stuffed bell peppers instead, which I did not really like as a kid, but love now! They also form a great "bowl", whereas sometimes the zucchini are a little small! I will have to make these as I have two zucchinis from my garden which are ready to be eaten (although I was thinking about making zucchini bread -- dilemma!)

J said...

I made these! They are so good! And great for leftovers all week.