Thursday, November 1, 2012

Music, Books, Miles, and Looks of October

Music:

 

Ho Hey by The Lumineers - Oh how I love this song!  I need to check out this band and see if their album is worth buying (anyone own it out there?).



Not with Haste by Mumford and Sons - Oh my gosh, the Mumford & Sons new album ROCKS.  I wasn't sure they could release something as good as their first album.  Well, they did.  This is my favorite song on the album.  I love the last line:  "And I will love with urgency but not with haste."

Books:

It was another strong reading month for me, thanks to all the plane travel I've done!


The Moment by Douglas Kennedy - Oh this book.  It was so good, read in a flurry, bookmarked in many places, thought about as I fell asleep at night. It is the story of an American man and a German woman who fall in love in Berlin during the time of the cold war, amidst the complications of living in a divided city.  He so artfully describes the beauty of falling in love. I could wax on poetically, instead I will close with one of the passages I bookmarked:  'We're all so preposterous, aren't we? Holding onto our torments, our agonies, our small dramas - and using them to sabotage that which was so want... And actually deserve.'

Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat - This was our October book club book.  It's a well-written memoir by a young woman who was imprisoned in Iran in the early 80s. It is a harrowing story but a fast an engaging read.  I highly recommend it.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - Another great young adult novel that is definitely a book adults will enjoy. I thought the writing was great!!  I also had a chance to see the movie and thought they did a fantastic job turning it into a movie.  The author wrote the screen play and directed it - and that was reflected in the quality of the movie.

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio - Sarah Jio strikes again!  I read this book in the span of about 48 hours, so that should tell you how good it is!  I think this is my favorite Jio book of her 3!!  The story is engaging from the very beginning!  Such a great book!!

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom - This was a super fast read - I read it over the course of a day spent traveling. It was good but not as good as Albom's other books. I would give it 3.5 stars if that was an option.

Yes Chef by Marcus Samuelsson - I really enjoyed this book.  I fell in love with Samuelsson when he was on Top Chef Masters years ago.  If you are foodie who is interested in the restaurant industry, you will enjoy this book.  Samuelsson did a great job writing this and I especially appreciate the fact that he owns up to mistakes he made along the way.

Miles:

My mileage was on the low side this month since I spent the whole month tapering, and then ran my marathon.  I ran a total of 98.25 miles, which I am happy with!  Most importantly, I ran a strong marathon!


Looks:


Look #1 (with a horrible background) is a dress I bought at Banana Republic.  It's a very simple silhouette that is flattering for people like me that don't have curve.  Also, I love that it's navy!   I paired it with gray peep toe heels.


Look #2 is another Banana Republic outfit.  When I saw the skirt was on display in the window, I was drawn into the store like a moth to a flame.  I am STILL obsessed with mustard!!


Look #3 is my quirky shirt that I bought at the coolest t-shirt shop I've ever been to, which was in Des Moines.  I think the shirt is hilarious!

21 comments:

Becky said...

Love love love the looks! And I like how you had a "low" mileage month but ran ALMOST 100 MILES!

I'm so glad you liked Blackberry Winter - I sat down and read it in a matter of hours - it's my favorite of her books as well!

missris said...

LOVE the looks, especially the ones from BR. But you already knew that :) I'm going to add some of these books to my queue!

nora said...

LOVE that skirt! So pretty on you. I haven't been to BR in ages so I may have to check it out.

And agree, Mumfords newest album is fabulous. I had it on repeat on my iPOD during most of the time in Mexico!

Can't believe October is over already!!!

Marlys said...

I will make a list of the books you recommended! I love that you do that! And I love your new outfits and can understand why you love that t-shirt! See you Saturday! Can't wait for JCN!

Caroline said...

I really love that yellow on you - beautiful skirt! I downloaded the Blackberry Winter on Sunday because my sister said she liked it and it was on sale on the Kindle for a dollar. So that's next on my reading list!

Leigh said...

I love when you post books that you've read, as I always use it in the future to find a new book to read :) LOVE your mustard skirt. You look fabulous in it

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I love that song by The Lumineers! Thanks for playing it! Also, the thing I love about that mustard skirt is it allows people to wear a color that they might not want to wear up next to their face. It definitely pops on you - nice job!

qwerkyqook said...

Hey Lisa. I have both those CDs. Want me to bring copies Sat?

RunToTheFinish said...

oh my gosh you just recommended so many books that are right up my alley! I'm going to bookmark this so i can come back to find them

J said...

I am so afraid to wear mustard but I do really love it especially with jeans! Love the Navy dress too! So cute!

Carolina John said...

haha, love the des moines shirt. Too funny! I'm really digging the new Mumford & Sons too.

Elizabeth said...

Love both those songs---every time the Lumineers one comes on the radio I crank it up :) That mustard skirt is perfect and can be combined into so many great outfits, and that shirt continues to crack me up. I'd totally rock that navy dress with a belt and knee high boots also :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Love love these looks. That mustard skirt and heels look amazing. My feet would die. ;) You make a great BR model.

Marisa A. said...

LOVE all your looks especially your Raygun shirt! I have a few shirts from them as well. It really is the greatest store in the universe!!

Amber said...

LOVE that mustard skirt!!!

Eric introduced me to Mumford and Sons recently and I'm OBSESSED with their album! We listen to it all the time in the evenings when we're cleaning or cooking! Such a fun beat!

Stephany said...

I love this series because I get to see what new Banana Republic outfit you have! Haha. You are just so pretty. :) And stylin'.

Also have to agree with Becky! You almost ran 100 miles. That's crazy. Way to go!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I am so happy to catch up on blogs right now, yay! Plus this is one of my favorite posts you do each month. I love your looks and I added some of those books to my list. I didn't have a strong reading month but I did read a long book, so that was good :)

Cherry Blossoms said...

super cute dress and very flattering on you! That t-shirt screams your name!
Can't wait to see you in a WEEK!

Enjoy your weekend with the family!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That dress looks great on you!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love that yellow skirt! You read a lot this month! I added those books to my queue. What book club was the Prisoner of Tehran for? I am so behind in my reading and book clubbing right now; it's bad!

I have heard a couple of the other Lumineers songs and they are also good. I would say buy the album!

Melissa said...

You really must buy the Lumineers album. It's amazing. I have been listening to it nonstop since I left for Europe in August. It was my soundtrack while I was there and I still listen to it obsessively!

I'm so jealous of all your reading. I've been so stressed with school I haven't much felt like reading a lot, but I'm putting an effort this month in doing it more often. I'm reading the Time Keeper now and really enjoying it. I've read Tuesdays with Morrie & 5 People (I have One More Day but haven't read it yet)... I love Mitch Albom. He's so thoughtful and writes SO well. I should finish it pretty soon!