When I was a Child...
- Christmas was the highlight of winter. Decorating the tree with ornaments hung from fish hooks, arranging the crib scene (and re-arranging it and re-arranging it, which drove my mom nuts), and gathering around the advent wreath each night are some of my favorite memories.
- The Christmas season was full of baked goods and treats. I helped put sprinkles on many, many sugar cookies and wrapped what felt like 1,000 caramels in small squares of cellophane.
- There was always at least one snowday - possibly more! Those days were spent reading and doing puzzles and bugging my older siblings!
- My older sister and I spent hours upon hours skating in our backyard. We were so sure one or both of us were going to be the next Nancy Kerrigan (well, until she got clubbed by
Tonya Hardingsomeone.) Besides skating we also went sledding and built forts and snowmen.
- After playing outdoors for hours, my mom would often treat us to hot cocoa with a couple of mini marshmallows.
- I celebrated many great birthdays My dad would usually go to work later so my mom and him could wake me up by singing happy birthday. I got to pick what mom made for dinner (spaghetti pie was a popular choice of mine) and some years she'd get a ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.
What winter childhood memories do you have?