For the most part, the tone of my posts lately has made it pretty apparent that I am a bit down in the dumps. This is to be expected given the stress of CFA studying and my upcoming move to Charlotte, which I just can't get excited about (at least not yet). I know I have to trust that I will find things I like when I move there. My mom sent me a really good "Green Eggs and Ham" analogy last week to remind me that, until you've tried something, you can't say you don't like it. Granted, since I have been to Charlotte about 8 times, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what living there will be like, but that analogy was a good reminder that I really have to give Charlotte a chance.
But, despite the heaviness of my life these days, there are some good things happening in my life, so I thought I'd take a moment to focus on those in a post so that I have something to look back on when I am having down days!
- Bye bye undergrad student loans. Between my tax refund, some money I received from my grandma, and my bonus at work, I will be able to pay off my undergrad loans in full this month! I am SO happy that these are getting paid off so I can really focus on paying off my massive grad school loans!
- Game night. I have always loved playing games so it is really nice to date someone who does as well. On Saturday night, I introduced Phil to a Rack-O, which is a game I haven't played since I was a child. He must have had beginners luck or something as he beat me 4 games in a row!
- Landlord relief. When I sent a tax form to the tenant that lives in the condo I own, he responded and let me know that his girlfriend will be moving in this spring. This tells me that he is likely going to stay around for awhile as why have someone move in if you are planning to move in the next 6 months or so. His lease went to a month-to-month after the first year with a 60 day notice, so it's just a relief to feel like it's likely he'll stick around! Plus he is an awesome awesome tenant who pays his rent early most months!!
- Promoted. I found out last Friday that I am being promoted to Vice President. I had a feeling this was coming so I am happy that it is finalized. Promotions are weird in the financial services industry. My job doesn't change, there are just higher expectations on me, which I am totally fine with. I know I have been performing at a VP level since my boss left so I know I can handle the extra expectations.
- Running. My local club's spring session started up on Saturday, so I got to do a 'long' run of 8 miles with them (which I totally don't think of as a long run but I guess it counts compared to the 4 milers I've done lately). I am glad I'll get some runs in with this group before my move. I am also researching clubs in the Charlotte area. I haven't found anything comparable to my current club that includes things like coaches, etc, but hopefully I can at least find a group to do long runs with during my marathon training cycle.
- Chicago! Speaking of marathon training, I got into the Chicago marathon. I consider this an accomplishment because the registration process was a complete and total disaster - so much so that they had to take their registration site down for over a week (it might still be down?). There are 4 people from my local club running it, and I am super excited that Amber, Lauren & her fiance, and Anais will all be running it as well! I can't wait for this blogger get together!
- New digs. While I am not all that excited about downsizing and moving into a smaller place, I am excited about the kitchen in my new place. It has granite counter tops, a beautiful back splash, new stainless steel appliances, and an island. The kitchen is my happy place so I am looking forward to making meals in a beautiful, remodeled kitchen in my new home.
Your turn - tell me something good that is happening in your life these days!