Thursday, June 13, 2013

Virtual Coffee Date

It's been awhile since I did a virtual coffee date, and I figured it'd be a good way to catch up on some of the thoughts and happenings of my life these days!



If we were having coffee today...

- I'd tell you that I am super excited that my mom, sisters, and sisters-in-law booked a girls trip to Myrtle Beach for a weekend in October.  The boys in our family have gone on countless hunting and fishing trips, but us girls have never gotten our act together and planned something.  Until now!  We have a beach front condo booked and I am SO excited for a weekend of girl time.  It's good to have another trip to look forward to (which is driving distance away for me).

- I'd also tell you that I booked a weekend trip to Asheville, NC last week on a whim.  I looked at my (mostly) empty calendar for July and felt like I had to plan something.  I found a reasonably priced condo on VRBO (which is a sight I am obsessed with perusing).  I'm really excited to check out Asheville as I've heard so many good things.  Since it's only about 100 miles away, I think this is an area that I will be visiting multiple times.  And hopefully by then I will be back to normal activity level and can do some hiking and join a group run there.

-I'd tell you that I had a work trip to Miami earlier this week and another one to Houston next week, and that work travel is SO MUCH more manageable now that I am not studying for the CFA.  It was a quick 24 hour trip to Miami, but it was fun to check out a new city.  I really like the sales rep in that office so I am going to try to go back so her and her husband can show me around.

- I'd tell you that I am super sensitive to comments about the CFA right now and that I have to remind myself that people have the best intentions.  For example, someone commented that a 2+ month wait for my test results "isn't too bad."  Those are fighting words, people.  2+ months in a LONG freaking time in my book.  For the record, the only appropriate response is something along the lines of "wow, that is a long wait."  I actually feel like I could write a little pamphlet entitled "Things You Shouldn't Say to a CFA Candidate." 

- I'd tell you that I have been reading some really great books lately, like The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes, which was a total page turner.

- I'd tell you that I am thoroughly enjoying all of the free time I have.  I can't tell you how great it is to wake up on the weekend knowing I won't have to study, or to get home at the end of the day and to be able to do whatever I want.  Free time is such a luxury.  

- I'd tell you that I am looking forward to the upcoming weekend as it includes things like taking in Shakespeare in a park area and going to a matinee showing of The Spirit of the Marathon II (which I am SO excited about, but might make this whole not running thing even harder).

If we went out for coffee this morning, what would you share with me?

20 comments:

Becky said...

What fun trips you have planned - I love having things like that to look forward to! And Shakespeare in the park? JEALOUS!

Also, I think you're entitled to punch one person in the face a week who makes CFA comments. Use it wisely.

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

If we were at coffee today (which, I SO wish we were. I miss you) I would probably still be squealing from the good news yesterday and probably telling you all about my plans for MY fourth grade room! (omg).

You are going to love Myrtle Beach! What part are you staying in? October is still pretty warm, I think. Murrell's Inlet has some great seafood restaurants and I think is known as the seafood capital in SC. Also, check out Broadway at the Beach. That's where I worked!

missris said...

Oooh have fun in Asheville! My sister lives there and it's such a cute, funky town. You'll have a great time.

Marlys said...

If I was having coffee with you, I'd tell you how much I miss having you closer, and that the sun is shining this morning, which is a rarity in these parts lately! We truthfully have not had 80 degree temps yet and I yearn for warmth & sunshine!
Great reading your blog today! And, two months is eternity when you are waiting for test results! AMEN!

Anonymous said...

When I was 17, I was accepted to college in the US, but getting a student visa was another story! I went to the Embassy in mid August and somehow they thought that my I20 was a fake. So they denied me the visa. I contacted my school and they said they would send me another I20, but for the next semester since by the time I would get the form in the mail the semester was already started. I had to wait 82 days to go to the Embassy again (I learned that they only issued visa three months prior to the start of the term), and just my luck, my school started spring semester in February! I made a countdown calendar and started counting down. At first I crossed the day in the morning. Then as it got to the middle and I started to get restless I crossed the day off the prior evening, lol. At the end I was crossing the next day in the early afternoon of the previous day! I know how difficult waiting is, especially when it pertains to your future. Hang in there, I am sending you positive thoughts that the end, you too get the result to celebrate big.

Nora said...

You totally should write a post/pamphlet about what not to say to a CFA candidate! I bet it would be incredibly popular.

I visited Asheville when I was younger (my brother was still a baby so it was eons ago) but I have fond memories of it and would love to go back. I hope you enjoy it!

And a girls' weekend? Sounds fabulous and much needed!

Stephany said...

SO many fun trips on the horizon for you! That's so exciting.

Fun fact: I’ve lived in Florida my whole life and have never been to Miami. I’m hoping to go for a long weekend in August, but I’m not sure if I can make it happen. It’s been one of the cities I want to cross off my travel bucket list but haven’t been able to yet! Glad you enjoyed your time down there. :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I love love love this post! Sweets and I went to the Outer Banks in October six years ago -- the weather was AMAZING at that time of year and the beaches were virtually empty. AWESOME time of year for a beach getaway! Also, telling you that 2+ months of waiting isn't long is like telling a marathon runner at mile 20 that they're almost there. YOU JUST DON'T DO IT! =)

Alli said...

You should do a YouTube video: Sh*t People Say to CFA Candidates.

I so wish I wasn't so broke and could join you in Asheville. Next time!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

It sounds like you have some fun things to look forward to! Love girls weekends! I've heard Asheville is cool as well - lots of good restaurants and kind of hippy like Eugene (but I'm sure totally different).

Linda said...

Girls' trips are the best!

Hope the 2 months passes by quickly.

And I would tell you I miss Paris.

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I agree with Becky, one punching :) Thought don't punch me. Reading some of the things on that list you posted on twitter I was like crap, have I said that? Okay fine it was really only that I've said I'm sure you will pass- only because I'm trying to encourage haha. I would NOT say you only have to wait 2 months. It freakin drives ME crazy that you have to wait that long so I can't imagine you!!!
I'm so excited for your upcoming trips as well. I think one of the main reasons I would like to live somewhere else is because then I could explore the day and weekend trips in the area. Eric went to Myrtle Beach last year on a bachelorette party trip- I think overall he was not a huge fan but that is probably because of what they were doing which won't be anything like what you are doing haha. If you feel like booking another trip, Boston in August!!!

As for me, I have 6 days of school left so that's all I can really focus on. I am making some great progress on my to list but it's still insane. On a positive note, I had a great, great, GREAT weekend at the Cape last weekend, and Eric's mom made me a cake/cupcakes for my birthday last night so that was fun.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you are going to MB and Asheville. I hope you go to Biltmore Estate -- it's amazing. We generally go to main Myrtle because it is walking distance from the convention center where Rick's trade show is. And a block from the beach and since the only thing we do for fun after the show is jump in the ocean or sit on the beach, it's fine by us! And with a car you can get to any of the attractions.

What would I tell you besides that I'm excited you are getting out? I'd say I found out today what we thought was a torn rotator cuff was bad bruising and bursitis -- PT, yes. Surgery, no. I'd say (sheepishly) that I blew off someone's retirement at the ball game because it was pouring and now that it's stopped, I still don't want to go. That's terrible, but just so fatigued. Oh, and that my wisdom tooth broke and has this big pointy thing that keeps me biting my cheek. And I'd say only a couple weeks till the end of the month and then some lake time! Yay!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

If we went out for coffee I'd tell you that I am looking forward to being done work in 2 weeks for the summer, but that I had the best class ever and I will miss them.

I would tell you that I am sooo excited to go to Vegas with my sweetheart in July, and that I can't wait to eat beef tartar again.

Caroline said...

I can't wait to hear about Asheville! I'm going to be spending a day there this fall on my way to Nashville to visit a friend. Sounds like you have lots of good things to look forward to!

San said...

I am so glad you're planning things and that you're enjoying your free time, because a) that means you have great things to look forward to and b) this awful 2-months wait will hopefully go by faster! (I think it's ridiculous to make you wait for test results for such a long time! Seriously!)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Oh my gosh, I had to go back and look at your comments to make sure it wasn't me that said that thing about the CFA! Not that I would have, but I still had to check! I hope the time flies... and it doesn't seem like two months!

I would tell you that I'm excited about my brother's girlfriend's birthday next weekend. Her party theme is to dress the decade you were born in. There should be some fun outfits!

Amber said...

YAY for free time! It really is a luxury, especially after your months of studying every second you had. I think this summer will be great for you with lots of fun things!

Lisa-Marie said...

What I read from this is you seem much more content. It's lovely.

Enjoy your girls week, and keep enjoying your free time!

melissa said...

Sounds like you're booking some nice trips and visiting some fun new places! Time to book Montreal now, I will be your personal go-to for anything you need!

If we went on a coffee date I would tell you that life has been very hectic, and I wish summer would get here in my city already. I'm hoping July's weather really picks up, because all this rain has been a huge downer.