Happy Friday! I'm capping off what's been a really busy week with a 5 Things Friday post.
1. I finally saw a local Rheumatologist yesterday. I wish I could say it was a good experience but he was running over an hour behind schedule. Plus he had a PA student shadowing him so I had to meet with her first and then meet with them together. So when it was all said and done I was there for over 2 hours. That doesn't really fly when I work at a place where people usually don't take lunches. I thought I'd be gone 60-90 minutes, but ended up being gone 2.5 hours so I can just imagine what my coworkers were thinking about me (I work in an environment where people watch/talk about how much you are working). I'm just glad I don't need to be seen for another 3 months. The doctor was apologetic and did suggest that I come on Tuesdays in the future as he books his lower maintenance patients on Tuesdays and is rarely behind on those days. Yesterday was one of those days where I REALLY HATED having a chronic illness and there may have been some tears as I waited for the doctor.
2. Speaking of work, I've been thinking a lot lately about the Venn Diagram of my professional life, meaning, I've been trying to identify the shared space of a) what I enjoy doing and b) what I'm good at. It feels like there isn't as much overlap between a) and b) as I'd like there to be. I thought I had my career kind of figured out but the last year or so has taught me that I don't. I can't/won't say much about my job but I will say that lately I have seriously questioned my ability to continue to do this kind of work/handle this level of stress long-term... I have a two year commitment to my employer so I know I won't be making any changes to my career anytime soon, but I know I need to start thinking/planning now so I'll be prepared to make decisions when the time comes. Meanwhile I am trying to remind myself that I am lucky to be back in Minnesota and to have a job that challenges me.
3. On a positive note, I have a plan-free weekend ahead of me which is such a good thing because the last 2 weeks have been way over-planned. I'm looking forward to a quiet night tonight with Phil. We're planning to hit up the driving range and maybe check out the restaurant I got him a gift certificate to for his birthday.
4. I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately but this week I started the book, The Vacationers, and I think it's going to be the book that pulls me out of my slump as right from the get go I am getting the sense that I'm going to love the book. Yea!
5. 3 weeks from today I'll be reunited with Amber, Lauren, Leigh, and Kyria for our running rendezvous in San Francisco! I am so excited to catch up with these girls in a city I absolutely adore. This is the 4th rendezvous for Amber, Lauren, and I (we've been to Portland, Victoria, BC, and Chicago), and the 2nd one Leigh has been to (she came to Victoria), so we've got quite the tradition going. I'm hoping it's something we continue to do for years to come.
What's on your mind today?