Friday, September 5, 2014

5 Things Friday

Happy Friday!  I'm capping off what's been a really busy week with a 5 Things Friday post.

1.  I finally saw a local Rheumatologist yesterday.  I wish I could say it was a good experience but he was running over an hour behind schedule.  Plus he had a PA student shadowing him so I had to meet with her first and then meet with them together.  So when it was all said and done I was there for over 2 hours. That doesn't really fly when I work at a place where people usually don't take lunches.  I thought I'd be gone 60-90 minutes, but ended up being gone 2.5 hours so I can just imagine what my coworkers were thinking about me (I work in an environment where people watch/talk about how much you are working).  I'm just glad I don't need to be seen for another 3 months.  The doctor was apologetic and did suggest that I come on Tuesdays in the future as he books his lower maintenance patients on Tuesdays and is rarely behind on those days.  Yesterday was one of those days where I REALLY HATED having a chronic illness and there may have been some tears as I waited for the doctor.

2.  Speaking of work, I've been thinking a lot lately about the Venn Diagram of my professional life, meaning, I've been trying to identify the shared space of a) what I enjoy doing and b) what I'm good at.  It feels like there isn't as much overlap between a) and b) as I'd like there to be.  I thought I had my career kind of figured out but the last year or so has taught me that I don't.  I can't/won't say much about my job but I will say that lately I have seriously questioned my ability to continue to do this kind of work/handle this level of stress long-term...  I have a two year commitment to my employer so I know I won't be making any changes to my career anytime soon, but I know I need to start thinking/planning now so I'll be prepared to make decisions when the time comes.  Meanwhile I am trying to remind myself that I am lucky to be back in Minnesota and to have a job that challenges me.

3.  On a positive note, I have a plan-free weekend ahead of me which is such a good thing because the last 2 weeks have been way over-planned.  I'm looking forward to a quiet night tonight with Phil.  We're planning to hit up the driving range and maybe check out the restaurant I got him a gift certificate to for his birthday.  

4.  I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately but this week I started the book, The Vacationers, and I think it's going to be the book that pulls me out of my slump as right from the get go I am getting the sense that I'm going to love the book.  Yea!

5.  3 weeks from today I'll be reunited with Amber, Lauren, Leigh, and Kyria for our running rendezvous in San Francisco!  I am so excited to catch up with these girls in a city I absolutely adore.  This is the 4th rendezvous for Amber, Lauren, and I (we've been to Portland, Victoria, BC, and Chicago), and the 2nd one Leigh has been to (she came to Victoria), so we've got quite the tradition going.  I'm hoping it's something we continue to do for years to come.

What's on your mind today?

13 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay, I need to check out Vacationers! I've been in a book slump too but I'm reading Beachcombers now and I'm liking it. Plus I've had more time to read now that Max has decided to have several bad nights in a row (silver lining ha ha).

I don't know what to say about work other than, I hope you can find some balance in it the next few years and then something that ultimately makes you happy long term. Oh, and also somewhere where there is not judgement about how much time to the second you work... yuck! At my job I don't even know how much people work to be honest!

Gracie said...

I tend to be of the opinion that, while student must learn, they shouldn't do it on me :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you at least liked the rheumatologist. As far as I'm concerned, the doctor best be a really really great one for me to sit around and wait for him/her. ...my sports med doc happens to be one of them. I waited for 45 minutes to see her and that was more than enough.

Have a lovely quiet weekend!

Jeanie said...

Good for you, looking at the future and with a two year window (anyone can survive two years -- I know that!) it gives you time, to plan. Perhaps there is some sort of course you can take in the evenings that will be a good guide. Can you incorporate what you do on a more personal level with individuals? I think I don't understand your job all that much, but I know that something must have called you to the general field and maybe that can be modified elsewhere.

At least you are back where you can love the rest of the day and that's a step up from Charlotte.

And once you saw him/her, did you LIKE the RA doc?

Marlys said...

Sounds like a stressful place to work! You haven't talked much about your job so have been wondering how it is going. It must be different than what you did at WF? Or just the enviroment?
I do hope you find a good RA Dr or maybe give this one a second try and see that you think. I so wish clinics would let people know when there is a backup so you could adjust your time! Our time is just as important as theirs so a courtesy call would be such a grand idea!
Have a great & relaxing weekend!

Leigh said...

Oh man, I hate waiting for appointments like that! I have been booking my appointments at the maternity clinic (luckily I only go once every four weeks right now, but that will change) for first thing in the morning. Usually that means I am the first one seen and I can be in and out of there quickly. Does your work give you time off for medical appointments?

And so looking forward to San Fran!

Nora said...

I have heard great things about the Vacationers! I need to get myself to a library so I can pick up some of the books that I'm eager to read. Glad to hear you're liking it!

I've been struggling work wise lately, too. More on that when we chat.

Hooray for an upcoming trip! So fun.

Emilie said...

1. What a bummer about the long wait for your doctor. I hope you at least liked him! It was cool of him to let you know Tuesdays are a better day - hopefully you can avoid a long wait in the future!
2. I feel you on this. I've been very frustrated with my job lately. My work falls more in the "I'm good at it" category than the "I love it" category. I wish it was easier to find a good balance.
3. Me too! For the first time in forever! I'm sure I'll find ways to fill it up but I have at least one full day with zero plans.
4. Same here. I read one book in August. ONE.
5. Your trip sounds like SO MUCH FUN. Seriously! Girl's weekends are the best. I've always wanted to visit SF so I'm looking forward to your photos!

Becky said...

I'm just glad it's Friday! Short weeks take FOREVER!

I'm kind of in a book slump too, so I'm going to pick up some knitting and see how that goes! So glad you'll be able to relax this weekend - and can't believe your running rendezvous is so soon!

Stephany said...

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about the work situation. At my other job I was very micromanaged and just about every second of my day was scrutinized. This one? As long as I get my work done on time, my boss doesn't care what else I do - ha! I've taken long lunches before and nobody notices. It's a very low-key atmosphere and I just love it because I know what the other side of it is like and that is NOT fun. Who knows what the next few years will bring! I hope things start getting better but, if not, you can find something that better fits you. Hugs, friend!

Abby said...

I'm so glad you're finally getting an actual low key weekend. Even in the past when you've said you had a low key weekend - they still seemed to be packed with tons!! Especially with how stressful work has been for you.

I pray your can find some balance with your career. However, I'm glad this brought you back "home". It's tough to be in a place that just doesn't feel quite right when you spend so many hours there. My heart goes out to you.

Yay for your San Fran trip! Mine is in less than 2 weeks!

Amber said...

Oh my comment got ate. So annoying! Anyways, I'm SO excited for our SF weekend. Who would have thought we'd keep this tradition going for 4 years back when we were planning our Portland marathon!

I hope that work gets better soon or you find some clarity in what you might want to do. I definitely think we should work to live and not live to work!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That San Fran trip sounds fun!!! I've only been there once, and for a very short trip, but I really liked it.