Tuesday, November 18, 2014

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 5

Today I am thankful that I can walk to work.

Winter has arrived in this part of the country and it's been cold and snowy.  Even though we did not get much snow, the roads have been pretty icy, especially last week.  It's times like this that I really appreciate the fact that I have a walking commute.  I am a nervous driver as is so add in icy roads and ay yi yi.  It makes me quite the nervous Nelly.  My place of work is about a mile from my house so I am able to get there in about 20 minutes (my commute was even shorter when I was able to bike!).

It's definitely cold in the morning as with the windchill, it's felt like it's about negative 5-10 degrees outside (yes negative, I hope this cold front moves on!), but I still opt to walk outdoors instead of walking in the heated skyways.  I guess it sort of makes me feel tough to walk outside and most days that is the only fresh air I get since I am way too much of a wimp to run in this weather.  The walks fly by, especially lately as I've started to listen to podcasts on my walks to/from work. 

Regardless of what is going on with the weather, I love my walks or bike rides to work as they allow me to clear my mind and it's an easy way to fit exercise into every day.

15 comments:

Becky said...

Love that you can walk to work! My commute varies but it is a solid 45 minutes one way on a good day - so a 20 minute walk? Sounds delightful!

Ooh, hope you've been listening to some Book Riot podcasts!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I wish I could walk to work. Even bike riding is not easy, as there is a body of water and a bridge without pathways in the way!! I sometimes ride my bike to the BART and then BART over to work, which is a 3 mile ride, but walking to work is not really feasible. You are a trooper to walk in the cold! I probably would too though, as I prefer the real outdoors to fake heat or AC.

Emilie said...

I don't think I could ever live in a city, but I am envious of people who are able to utilize public transportation and/or live in a walkable city. I am only a mile from work, my parents, and our main road but it is dark when I leave work and there are no street lights between my house and my office so walking is a no-go. I do walk to my parents and downtown occasionally in the summer months but it's so not a thing here so I rarely think to do it.

missris said...

I wish I could walk to work! I loved walking to work when I lived in Chicago. And I'm also a nervous driver so I'm not looking forward to commuting by car this winter for the first time ever!

Nora said...

You are tough for walking outside in that kind of weather!

I would love to be able to walk to work; there are only a few areas where that is possible in STL so it's not likely to ever be feasible for me, so I'm thankful that generally speaking, my commute is short (25 minutes or so by car).

Anonymous said...

You ARE tough! And it's a good reason to buy yourself a really nice, warm winter coat, gloves, etc.

I don't get too nervous driving in the snow but it's going to take me a hot minute to remember how to do it. That first substantial snowfall always = a ton of accidents around here.

Amber said...

I would LOVE to be able to walk to work! I really enjoyed biking to work last summer. Like you said, it's nice to get some fresh air and clear your head.

suki said...

Wish I could walk to work! Unfortunately, it's more like a 20-30 minute drive with traffic.

Abby said...

That is awesome that you are able to walk to work! I am a bit envious of this feature! Neverthelss, I am extremely thankful that I have about a 10 minute drive to work. Because of that, I have more time in the mornings and evenings to exercise so I, too, can get my dose of "outdoor time".

You are super tough to walk in -5!! Do you have to bundle up like crazy? You rock

Stephany said...

Holy crap! And I'm over here, whimpering at the fact it's going to be 38 degrees tomorrow and I have to take Dutch on his walks. HAHA! You are a cold weather BEAST.

And yay podcasts!

Leigh said...

That's so handy that you can walk to work. It would take me forever to walk, but can bike in the nicer months (still takes me 40 minutes though)

Cheryl said...

*gasp* It is in the high 60's to low 70's here in California... and I am wearing thermals and three pair of socks lol How on earth do you step one toe outside? lol
big hugs,
Cheryl

Marlys said...

It sounds like the weather is going to get warmer on Friday which will be a huge relief! I heard this morning that parts of New York are going to get 6 feet of snow, so we have to count our blessings! Yikes!
But I am ready for some 30 degree temps!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I would really love to be able to walk to work, but I'm too far away :-( and the winters are too darn cold!

Jeanie said...

Ah, yes, I'd be grateful for that, too -- especially these cold white days. Too early for cold white days!