Happy Friday! Raise your hand if you have been loving the longer hours of evening sunlight this week **enthusiastically raises hand **
I'm closing out the week with 5 random things that are on my mind!
1. I often sing along to songs when Phil and I are in the car (or anytime I am in the car, really). One day
"Blank Spaces" by Taylor Swift came on and during the chorus I sang, "got a lovely
Starbucks lover, who'll tell you I'm insane" and Phil was like - um, I
don't think you have those lyrics right - Starbucks lover doesn't make much sense. The next time the song came on he listened closer and said,
she's saying "got a long list of ex-lovers, who'll tell you I'm
insane." Riiiight. I guess that does make more sense than Starbucks
lover... But we had a good laugh over how I had thought Starbucks lover
made any sense as a song lyric...
2. So I found out that I was promoted to Vice President this month, except I found out in the most random way as a co-worker saw a story on our internal team member website listing out the promotions and told me about it. Turns out my boss forgot to tell me during my anual review (I can't blame him - he has 70 direct reports. Yes, 70!!). It really is a formality because my role doesn't change, nor does my pay. So that's the first weird thing related to my "promotion." The second weird thing is that a sales rep in another office saw the story and called to congratulate me and he said, and I quote, "Congratulations on making Vice President! I'm really glad you weren't fired!" He then proceeded to tell me a story about a firm that fired him years ago. He closed our conversation by reiterating that he was glad I wasn't fired as you just never know in our industry. And that conversation right there really sums up the industry I work in... You could get promoted, or you could get fired. It really feels like a 50/50 type of thing sometimes.
3. We have had several 60 degree days this week. The cold weather in February really threw me into a funk but my mood flipped like a light switch when the weather changed and I feel like a different person!
4. Warm spring weather means I get to take my bike out for my first ride this weekend! I'm so excited to get out on it! I bought my bike in September last year so this will be my first spring/summer having a bike and I'm SO excited to log a whole lot of miles!
5. This week I activated a living social deal that I had bought this winter for 10 barre classes at a studio close to my house. I had done a barre class once when I lived in Charlotte but struggled with it as all of the time that you spend on your tip toes in class was just too much for my poor joints. But I've gone to two classes this week and I've been able to do everything which is exciting! I'm so happy with how much my joints have healed. Barre is an awesome full body workout - I highly recommend it! When my 10-class voucher expires I will probably look into buying a 10 class pack as I think going once a week would be a fun way to add some strength training/toning work into my weekly routine. I also love that I can walk to the studio. I feel very lucky to have both a yoga studio and a barre studio within 4 blocks of my home.
What's on your mind today?