Friday, March 27, 2015

TGIF

TGIF.  TG this week is over.  Between the colder weather and the stress of figuring out some of the details related to my move, I'm over this week and ready to move on...

The high of my week was finding out that my good friend Alli is engaged!  I got to meet her fiance when I went to visit her a year ago in December.  They had only been dating for a couple of months at that point but I just *knew* he was the one for her.  I can't wait for her wedding!!

The low of my week was dealing with apartment lease cancellation/renewal mumbo jumbo.  Again, I know I'm lucky that I can stay in the building in a similar unit but this is all just such a pain in the *ss.  And expensive, I might add, as there are moving fees involved, even when you move within the building plus I will likely have to hire movers as I can only move between the hours of 9-4 M-F and I can only reserve the elevator for 2 hours...  and I just don't see Phil and I being able to move all of my stuff in that short amount of time.  A couple of you asked if I considered buying and the short answer is no (I still own a condo that I rent out which I want to get rid of before buying again which seems like it will never happen due to the crappy market in that area of Minneapolis.  Also when I buy, I don't want it to be a rushed experience.  And the list goes on and on.  We'll see where I am at in a year.).

A book I am reading is Redeployment by Phil Klay.  Honestly I don't love it and I am scratching my head as to why it was the winner of the National Book Award. I'm about 1/2 way through it and am going to stick with it.  I'm hoping the second half is better.  The stories are mostly about soldiers experiences in Iraq and I just find it to be an uncomfortable and at times gruesome read. 

A podcast episode I loved was the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin.  I like that these podcasts are short (~20 minutes) and that I always walk away with some little nugget to apply to my life.

For my workouts, I completed a long run with my club on Saturday, a tempo run with my club on Monday, barre class on Wednesday, and today I will go to a HIIT class at the barre studio.  My workouts these week weren't stellar and I took more rest days than I would like but some weeks just go that way I guess.  I am SOOO sick of these cold temps as had it been warmer, Phil and I would have ran together last night and I would have gotten an extra run in but it was cold and blustery out.

The best money I spent was the deposit on the apartment I'll be leasing I guess?  But that means I essentially paid two months of rent this month as the deposit = one month of rent.  So this turned into an expensive month for me.

My plans this weekend include doing a whole lot of purging and a goodwill drop today (I took the day off), a long run tomorrow morning followed by a potluck breakfast which I am helping coordinate, a massage on Saturday afternoon, and date night at a restaurant Phil and I have been wanting to go to on Sunday night.

What was the high of your week?  What are you currently reading?

20 comments:

katielookingforward said...

I'm going to have to check out that podcast! I'm not a fan of books where its short stories from different people, so I understand not connecting with the deployment book. Plus, hard subject material. The housing stuff will work out, but yet, it does suck.

suki said...

Paying a security deposit is always the painful part about finding a new apartment. For some people who live month to month on their paycheck, it's hard to save up that extra amount of money. :/ I'm surprised that even though you're in the same building, they won't just transfer the funds over from your previous lease?

Leigh said...

Oh man, hopefully this is your last move for at least a year! A massage sounds heavenly and much needed...enjoy! The high of my week was having Brian home all week. Not looking forward to him going back to work next week

Stacey Minter said...

Sounds like you're going to have a busy but fun weekend. Strange you have to pay for another security deposit. Hope it works out for you though. Enjoy your weekend. Mine answers are up on my blog. Have a great day.

Carolina John said...

so you're getting a better unit in the same building? sounds like fun. moving always sucks.

Katelin said...

I seriously love purging and spring cleaning, I get a little too much joy out of it, ha.

Abby said...

I'm kind of bummed you're having to spend a precious day off purging because of this forced move. I'm sorry :(

I am going to have to check out that podcast! I have been addicted to "Things Your Mother never told you" and "Things you missed in history class". .....and "International Thoracic Society treatment for interstitial lung disease"...#nerd

Jeanie said...

That's a pain to be sure. Pity you have to have moving fees because you are being asked to move and not your choice.

Weekend -- maybe a movie. A good concert last night and Detroit Symphony tomorrow. Rick and I are still battling colds and hoping they go no worse, so laying somewhat lower than usual.

Just finished "Invention of Wings" which I was disappointed in. Felt like a young adult novel and not my period or geographical fave to make that worthwhile. Now back into "Bring Up the Bodies." Want to finish the Wolf Hall books before the PBS mini-series starting next month!

San said...

Ugh, that forced move definitely sounds annoying! I am sorry you have to deal with this.

I need to check out this podcasts... I am always looking for new podcasts to get into, but the longer the podcast the less likely that I'll stick with it. 20 min seems like a reasonable length.

I am currently reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" for my postal bookclub! :)

Charis Faith said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the hassle of the move! I'm so sorry you are still not able to sell the condo! Warmer days are coming! It got cold here too. I should be used to it but I'm not a fan! I hope this weekend is just the right amount if everything you need!

Amber said...

Ya that move is just plain inconvenient and annoying. Such a bummer you have to go through that!

I am reading Americanah right now and it's definitely picking up for me so I think I will stick with it. It took me awhile to get into it.

Elizabeth said...

So sorry to read about the forced move--so frustrating, especially when you're just read for some stability in life. I definitely can feel you there :)

I'm interested about the soldiers book, although am surprised to see that it's a fiction work. I just finished a non-fiction work that I think everyone should read. As much as I agree that it can be challenging to read about the soldiers experience, I also feel that more of the US population needs to be aware of what many of our soldiers and their families had to go through and will spend their entire lives dealing with. It's not necessarily just an individual problem but more of a societal issue as well. I know I'm probably on a bit of a horse though as an ex military spouse and veteran service provider...but so many of these stories hit close to home for me OR actually were a part of my home.... it's just frustrating at times that more of the nation is not aware or willing to be aware to what it's like I guess :( So many of the people that I have worked with and/or love/d are so similar to the stories that are out there though...

The new work-out classes sound awesome and i'm always so excited to read of the great distances you are back to running--incredible! :)

Wish I was there to help you with the move!!

And I loved the pictures from the Mississippi outing :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Congratulations to your friend on her engagement :-) That's exciting! That's so frustrating that you have to move - boo!

Marlys said...

The book you are reading sounds gruesome and I can understand why you aren't enjoying it. I know your Dad would like it but I just have a tough time with those books!
I bet the massage was wonderful - I have never had one but they sound so relaxing.
The highlight of our weekend was having dinner with Paul's brother & wife @ Stella's which is open for the season! Halleluiah!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Big bummer that the best spent money last week was on a new apartment deposit. Maybe your best spent money sometime soon will be on plane tickets to New York. In November. For a certain someone's wedding. !!! =D

Stephany said...

I hate the expense of moving. I don't mind moving itself but the EXPENSE. Ugh. That's part of the reason I'm moving in with a roommate because it would cost me $800+ alone just for move-out costs for an apartment. It's usually the pet deposit that gets me - some places want $400 or more! Sigh.

The high of my week was my time spent in Savannah! So fun. So perfect. :) And I'm currently reading a cutesy love story that's making me feel so happy. I've read a few emotional-y reads that I needed something light-hearted.

Alli said...

Aw, thank you! Funny, the highlight of my week is the same as yours!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

You changed your site! It looks good!

I hate moving, both for the moving aspect (boxes) as well as the money aspect. You really are a pro by now though and hopefully this will be one of the last times you move for a while! The last time I moved I had to double park in San Francisco while carting box after box (when did I get so many shoes!?) into the street and onto the truck. It was not fun. You really realize what is important to you (huge dresser -- goodbye!) when you have to cart it from place to place (or not)!

My week (last week) was good but a bit weird at work. When one boss is gone, the boys tend to goof off more, which causes me to get annoyed faster, which makes for a longer work week. However, I took a couple of days off over the weekend, so this week is extra short!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

That really stinks about the apartment. I'm over the temps too. When we were away last weekend it was sunny for the most part but with the wind and the temp I cold barely handle it. I whined a lot, I'll admit. I told Anthony I am a warm beach person and the years we take off from doing a beach avacation are the hardest for me by far. OMG I was so cold. But yesterday it was sunny and high 50s? I think today is supposed to be near 60 but super windy again. waaaaaah. I just finished The Hurricane Sisters by Dorothea Benton Frank and I'm about to start TheLast Girls.

Linda said...

Yuck. Moving.


My high was a walk in the park with Treavor. :)