TGIF, everyone! This was a short week since I had Monday off but I'm still equally glad to see Friday! Here are 5 things that are on my mind today!
1. After the super cold stretch we had last week, the weather is warming up and it feels like spring might actually be making it's arrival. March can be a cold and snowy month so I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I did hear birds singing when I woke up yesterday morning which is a good sign! It's going to be 50 degrees today (!!!) and the long range forecast shows temps in the 30-40F range which is great for this time of year. Fingers crossed that the worst of winter is behind us.
2. I've been trying to ramp up my running for the last couple of months and it seems like every time I increase my mileage, some random ache or pain surfaces. It happened again this week so I am going to admit defeat and make an appointment at a new sports medicine facility that opened up downtown. They take a collaborative team approach (chiropractors, physical therapists, soft-tissue specialists, sport medicine doctors) to solving issues that patients encounter so I am hoping they can figure out what's going on with me. The likelihood of me running the marathon in June seems to be declining, though.
3. This weekend Phil and I are heading up to my parents' lake home for a quick visit. We are heading up tomorrow morning and will come back on Sunday so it will be a short visit. My dad will take us ice fishing (in the cushy very warmed ice house he has), my mom will likely make several delicious meals (there's nothing better than food made by mom!) and we will teach my parents our new favorite 4-person card game called Hand and Foot. It should be a great little mini getaway for us.
4. The first 6-7 weeks of the year were pretty quiet for me and I was careful about not over-scheduling myself, but now things really pick up for the next 4 weeks. Between work travel, training for the non-profit I'm going to start volunteering with, and lots of social events, my calendar looks pretty packed! I've got some really exciting things to look forward to like seeing Ben Folds and The Piano Guys in concert and hosting Nora for a weekend! While she is here we are going to the musical "If/Then" which I'm really excited to see!
5. I've been off of social media for a little over the week and so far it hasn't been too bad. I do feel a bit disconnected but in general it's been good to take a break from it. And honestly, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to see all the Valentine's Day posts. This may offend some people, and I apologize if it does, but sometimes social media posts feel like a PR campaign. I love Phil very much, but I tell HIM I love him; I'd never post that on his Facebook page. It seems like when you post things like that on Facebook, it's not about telling your partner you love them, it's about telling the world you love your partner... I understand that people are excited about their relationships and want to shout from the rooftops how happy they are, but sometimes it doesn't seem very genuine when it's shared in such a public way. Granted I am a more private person, especially in regards to my relationship, so I guess I just see things differently and express my love for Phil differently. But to each their own!
What's on your mind today? Any fun weekend plans ahead for you?