Wednesday, June 29, 2016

What Should You Read Next?

In my world, there's no such thing as a season for reading, because I read voraciously throughout the year. However, I recognize that the concept of "summer reading" is very real for others. Maybe it's the longer hours of daylight, the fact that many people take vacations in the summer, or the time spent by water, but it seems like a time of year that begs us to set aside our work and chores and spend some time with our nose in a book!

A co-worker recently asked me for some book recommendations for an upcoming vacation to Europe. I thought I'd share the recommendations I made in case some of you are looking for your next great read! These are all back-list recommendations so should be available at the library immediately!

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda - I read this book over 4 years ago, but it's still one that comes to the top of my list when people ask for a book recommendation. It's about a mixed-race couple that adopts a child from India. The author does a wonderful job of expressing the intricacies of adoption, especially an international adoption. Read this is you want a thought-provoking, engaging novel with excellent character development.







The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson - I usually avoid the thriller genre as I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to scary or intense story lines. But when a former co-worker with great taste in reading recommended this book, I had to check it out.  It's a gripping, creepy thriller that captivated me from the first page to the final sentence of the book. Read this if you are looking for a psychological page turner that will keep you up past your bedtime.







The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez - This is a sad and moving story about a Mexican family that emigrates to the U.S. to seek better medical help for their daughter who suffers from a traumatic brain injury. The point-of-view changes from chapter to chapter which makes it especially engaging. It will make you think about chains of events and all the somewhat insignificant decisions we make every day that form the path our lives take. Read this if you want to attempt to gain some understanding of what it is like to come to the U.S. as an immigrant.





We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - This is technically a young adult book, but don't let that characterization hold you back from reading it if YA isn't your thing. This is a fast-paced intriguing read about a family that gathers at a sea-side home every summer. Read this if you want to be completely swept away by a story.  








What are some books you commonly recommend to others? 

P.S. If you are looking for more book recommendations, I recommend checking out the podcast, "What Should I Read Next." There is a different guest each week and the host makes recommendations based upon 3 books they loved and 1 book they hated. I would love to be a guest on the show someday! 

10 comments:

Charbelle said...

I'm glad you posted this! I read throughout the year too, although being at the lake I think I've read a little more. Not having anyone around lends itself to being able to read without being rude :) I'm definitely going to check out that first book!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Of all the books on your list, I have only read The Secret Daughter! As you know, I read a lot and am always looking for new books to read, although my TBR list is scary. I may have to do what you did and have a little cull party!

If you asked me for four books off the top of my head that I would recommend I would probably say... Corelli's Mandolin, The Stolen Child, The Nightingale, The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. But my list goes on and on....

Nora said...

I've seen We Were Liars pop up a lot on my friends Goodreads list so I guess I should check it out one of these days.

I read year-round as well but with a car trip coming up I'm hoping to get some additional/extra reading done.

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella was a great book; tackles/deals with anxiety disorders and how one young girl is impacted, her family is impacted and what gets her through. It's light-hearted yet serious and I'm so glad I read it!

Jeanie said...

Thanks, Lisa. I'm looking forward to some of these. I've been thinking of doing a book update soon. Got to go through my list for some good recommendations!

Stephany said...

I love this! I've only read We Were Liars from this list, but the other three are on my TBR list!

I always recommend Me Before You (I actually had all my lady coworkers read this book and my copy took a spin around the office, haha!). The Royal We is another one I love to recommend because it's such a fantastic novel, even if it's a bit long. And probably the Storied Life of A.J. Fikry because it's perfect for book lovers!

I hope your dream of being on WSIRN comes true someday!

Gracie said...

"The kind worth killing" is on my to-read list, but then - so are about 300 other books!

Leigh said...

I've read all of those and loved all of them! I would add Remember Mia and The Nightingale. I just finished The Royal We and didn't find it as great as others did- it wasn't a bad book, but wouldn't be singing it's praises to people

Amber said...

I am loving What Should I Read Next!! It has quickly made it to the top of my favourite book podcasts. I have read 2 / 4 books you recommended -- I have been wanting to read The Book of Unknown Americans and then forgot about it, thanks for the reminder!!

My default recommendations are The Art of Racing in the Rain and Me Before You as everyone I have recommended those two books to has loved them.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Thanks for the recommendations :-) I got a few Chapters gift cards to use, so I'll keep these in mind.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

The Nightingale, Pretty Girls, The Kitchen House, The Great Gatsby, Tess Monaghan series, Rizooli & Isles series...