Friday, August 26, 2016

5 Things Friday

TGIF. That is all. Here's a "5 Things Friday" wrap-up of my week, which was an intense one.

1. I'm STILL coughing. I went back to the doctor earlier this week for the THIRD time this month as I started to feel worse last weekend. This time around I got a stronger/longer dose of steroids, a nasal spray and an inhaler for my cough. I'm still taking the codeine cough syrup, too. I'm approaching the 4 week mark of struggling with this nasty case of bronchitis and I can't even tell you how tired I am of being sick.

2. My uncle was laid to rest yesterday. The prayer service and funeral were both very nice and there was a lot of laughter mixed in with the tears, but it was an emotionally exhausting couple of days. My uncle was far too young to die and my heart just aches for his wife, kids and 2 young grand kids, as well as his siblings. That said, it was really wonderful to see so much extended family. I hope our next gathering is prompted by something fun and happy.

3.  On a positive note, my hip is doing better. When I saw my PT last week, she did an assessment to see how strong my left hip is compared to my right and I was in the 80-90% range for most of the exercises she had me do which is right where she said I should be. I was supposed to see the surgeon yesterday to get cleared to return to running but had to reschedule the appointment since I was out of town at my uncle's funeral. The soonest I could get in is September 26th. They put me on the list of people to call if someone cancels so I am hoping and praying to get in sooner as I'm so anxious to get cleared to return to running (you know, once I'm over this nasty case of bronchitis). It will be SUPER gradual but I will take what I can get at this point!

4. This week sort of exhausted me, which isn't surprising since I am not feeling great and had a sad funeral to attend, but some of the bright spots were hosting my book club girls for a potluck meeting on Tuesday and hosting some of Phil's high school friends for a belated birthday celebration. I arrived back just in time for the guests to arrive so Phil handled the prep work for that event. Luckily it was also potluck so he didn't have to do too much prep work (cooking isn't his thing...). 

5. This weekend is a quiet one for us which I am SO HAPPY ABOUT. I actually took today off because I'm just so exhausted and I am hoping that 3 quiet days will help me turn the corner and start to feel better. My only plans include going to the Farmer's Market and to brunch with a friend on Sunday. I'm going to make Sunday a shouldless day because I have really earned one! Tonight Phil and I are going out for dinner so he can redeem a free birthday burger at a place that everyone raves about (Red Cow for any local readers) that we've been meaning to check out for quite awhile. After dinner we are going to try to figure out how to play Backgammon, which is the game I got Phil as part of his birthday gift.

What's on your mind on this fine Friday?

8 comments:

Charbelle said...

I'm so sorry you're still sick!!! I'm glad you took today off! I think these things can just settle in, fortunately you're managing it the way you are or it could be progressing into something even worse!

You've definitely been crazy busy (as is the norm for us both I know) and I think sometimes we just have to force ourselves to slow it down. Even when it's hard, even when we realize that means saying no to some things.

I'm so sorry about your Uncle! I know the bittersweet of seeing everyone together but for a sad reason.

Many hugs!!!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you have a quiet weekend coming up after all the sickness and sadness of the past week. You need to take care as much as you can to get that kicked out of you so listen to your body! (This is the voice of experience talking!)

But very good news about your hip. Sorry that the appointment is pushed back but all things considered, it may be for the best and give you another month to recuperate.

Off to Canada! Have a good weekend!

katielookingforward said...

red cow sounds like a great way to refresh, they have such great food!

San said...

Again, so sorry to hear about your family's loss.... it's hard that sometimes people only get together for funerals :(

I am glad you have a quiet weekend coming up. Sounds like you need one!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

It's kind of sad that as we get older, most of the gatherings with extended family are for funerals :-( I remember Christmas' with aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins as a kid ... but now that all the cousins have their own families, that doesn't happen anymore. Again, so sorry about your uncle. Also, sorry to hear that your cough is still lingering. You definitely need this quiet weekend at home - enjoy! We're having a weekend at home too, my last before going back to work.

Amber said...

Such a crazy week for you with so many conflicting emotions and being sick on top of it all, I'm so glad you took today off to rest and recuperate. Your weekend sounds lovely! Tomorrow it's supposed to rain and so we will hang out around the house but Sunday we are hoping to do the big hike we had planned to do in July but had to be rescheduled due to a death in our family.

Enjoy your should less day!!

Gracie said...

Sorry about your rough week (and I can't believe you're still sick!), but positive news that your hip is doing so well! Enjoy this weekend off and get well!

Stephany said...

I can't believe you are STILL sick. Goodness gracious, girl. I really hope you start feeling better SOON. I can't imagine having a cough as long as you have had one! Those are the worst because I hate feeling like I'm annoying everyone around me with my coughing. Ha.

My only thoughts these days are about my move and worrying about how I'll handle those first few days/weeks in my new place. It's always SO tough for me and I'm nervous. But I also gave myself a 5-day weekend for the move, and I am really looking forward to some time away from work! I haven't taken a day off since March, eeps.