Monday, July 3, 2017

Podcasts, Books, Miles and Looks of June

Podcasts:

Chatty Sisters Podcast Personality Episode - I love episode 15 of the Chatty Sisters Podcast. They talk about personality types which is a topic I find fascinating. I am an ISTJ which means I am introverted, observant, thinking, judging. ISTJ = "The Logistician," which is 1 of 4 "analyst" personality types.  According to the website, logistician's defining characteristics are integrity, practical logic and tireless dedication to duty. ISTJs have little patience for indecisiveness (yep!). ISTJs have sharp, fact-based minds, and prefer autonomy and self-sufficiency to reliance on someone or something (hence the fact that my favorite hobbies of running and reading are solo pursuits). If you don't know your personality type, you can take the test here!

Anyways, it was fun to listen to Caroline and Kelly talk about their personality types!


Books:

June was a so-so book month for me. I read 5 books, abandoned one book (not included in this recap as I only count books I finish) and disliked/didn't connect with 2 of the books. But I absolutely LOVED Behold the Dreamers and highly recommend it!




Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue - 4 stars
Evicted by Matthew Desmond - 4 stars
Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett - 2 stars
Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon - 4 stars
This Common Secret by Susan Wicklund - no rating (I'm not the audience for this book as it's a memoir written by an abortion doctor. I can't separate my feelings on the issue of abortion from the quality/writing style of the book so I chose to not rate it)

Workouts:

My workouts were pretty good in June. I worked out 20 times and did a variety of things. I had a couple of personal training session (still have 1 more left from the package I bought before the wedding), I ran 46 miles (kind of low but this number should build now that I'm training for a half marathon) and I did lots of different strength training workouts. I love the variety of my workouts. Next month I need to add in some biking and swimming as I'm doing a tri in mid-August. I'm struggling to find the motivation to train for the tri as I honestly do NOT enjoy swimming for exercise at all.  I much prefer swimming for leisure (i.e. swimming to the raft and playing king of the mountain with my nieces and nephews).

Looks:

Well it took until nearly the end of the month to take a photo of an outfit - and the quality of the one photo I took was pretty awful. I got this dress last August when I was shopping with my college girlfriends during a girls weekend. It's a navy wrap dress. I love that it has sleeves because I am always cold! I thought it was too short to wear to work (#tallishgirlproblems) but Phil assured me the length was fine...

5 comments:

Amber said...

Super cute dress and I agree the length is totally fine!!

I am excited to read Behold the Dreamers for my September book club with my family! I think it will be a really good one. Which book did you abandon?? I haven't abandoned a book for awhile but there have been a few recently that I really really wanted to!

Stephany said...

Behold the Dreamers has been on my TBR list for a while, but I may need to move it up based on your recommendation.

I'm an INFJ and that personality type fits me to a tee.

Charbelle said...

Personality types fascinate me too! I've read so many books since I got my Kindle and we've been spending so much time at the lake and the pool. That dress is super cute!!! LOL, I'm familiar with having to worry about a dress being too short! I have dresses that I know are not work appropriate. I have to remember that I'm closer to 40 than 30 and dress appropriately...

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I definitely think the length is fine. I always test that by putting my arms by my side. If the dress goes to the bottom of my fingertips or below them, then it's good! That was always the dress code rule in school, so I follow that too.

Also, I am always drawn to navy dresses (or navy clothes in general).

I am super excited to do some reading this summer, especially next week when we'll be camping (just the two of us) so we'll have plenty of relaxing and reading time.

Jeanie said...

I'm amazed that you read anything in June! Lots of good ones there!