Friday, August 24, 2018

TGIF!

The high of my week was getting together with friends for lunch twice this week. On Tuesday I met up with another friend who is the busy mom to 3 kids that are 3 and under (she has one-year-old twins!). It was nice to chat with her about mom life and the challenge of being a working mom. On Wednesday I went out to lunch with some coworkers as a coworker from Chicago was in town. It was nice to catch up face to face with everyone as I usually communicate with these girls over instant messager or email at work.


The low of my week was getting a painful flare in my left knee. This is my 2nd flare this month. I think the culprit is probably lack of sleep and being sick. Hopefully I get a break from flares as they are so painful and annoying!

The books I am reading are The Heart's Invisible Furies and How to Find Love in a Bookshop. I rarely read 2 books at the same time, but I'm reading a physical copy of The Heart's Invisible Furies and it is soooo big/heavy. I'm already hauling a lot of things back and forth to work for pumping so I can't handle carrying a big book in my purse. So I downloaded How to Find Love in a Bookshop so I would have something to read on my phone (I LOVE the kindle ap!). Both books are really good so far.

A recipe I made was Pressure Cooker Moroccan Chicken. This recipe is so good and so easy. I love that you don't have to cut up the chicken. It's so tender that it's easy to shred before serving.

The best money I spent was some items that we'll need when Paul starts to eat solids (some spoons, a bib with sleeves, and a sippy cup). Paul will be 6 months next week but he's not quite ready to start solids yet as he's still working on head control. Controlling that 98th percentile head is quite the challenge for a little guy! But once he shows that he's ready to eat, I'll have everything we need. I think we are going to mostly do "baby led weaning" which is an approach where the baby mostly eats what we eat but I'll probably have daycare give him some purees and cereal.

My plans this weekend include pretty much nothing! Woo hoo! Having a baby has cured me from being a chronic over-planner. We have no plans which is an ideal weekend for me these days. Paul isn't on any sort of schedule as the length of his naps vary, so the timing of his naps vary. As a result, it's hard to plan anything since I never know when he will be awake. He sleeps so little at daycare (less than 1.5 hours total!) that I really try to make sure he gets enough sleep on the weekends. Plus we are tired, too, since we are getting up with him during the night. My company is having their summer event tonight, which includes spouses, so we'll swing by that for an hour before doing daycare pick-up. Besides that, we need to clean the house and I need to go to my garden but that's it for 'plans'.

Bonus Paul Pics!


He's so happy in the morning!

Working on our crawling skills

Hipster baby in a Wilco onesie. Confession: I don't know any music by Wilco. Phil's coworker gave us this onesie.
What was the high of your week? What recipes did you make this week?

10 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Hahaha I'm so glad that having a baby helped your overplanning! That's mostly been true for me too ha. Having kids does have some real pros (other than you know, loving them so much) :P
I'm so sorry about your flares and lack of sleep/sickness. You need to have lunch with a mom a little farther in too so they can remind you this working mom thing is going to get a lotttt easier.

Stephany said...

Ugh, I'm sorry you're having a flare! That has to be so annoying after everything you went through during pregnancy. I hope it goes away soon!

A plan-less weekend sounds delightful - and even more so when you have a wee baby and just want to catch up on sleep as much as you can! I hope it's a restful one for the entire household. :)

San said...

I am glad Paul is helping you to set new priorities and not over-plan every weekend ;) because he's your date now :)

The Morrocan Chicken sounds delicious - I am sure you can do this in a slow cooker as well, right?

Jeanie said...

Apart from the flare, it sounds like you really have a good handle on your back-at-work/be-a-mom life. The photos are darling. I'm not sure I had a high this week. But I did make The Painted Apron's cheating chicken salad -- buy chicken salad, add blueberries and nuts and serve on lettuce wraps. Seriously delish!

Charbelle said...

I'm glad you have working mom friends to have lunch with! I think it is so helpful to have others walking a similar path and being able to learn from what they have learned! When I'm working through challenges with C I reach out to Tiff because her daughter is 2 years older and I've watched her navigate many of these same challenges. A no plan weekend sounds lovely!

Marlys said...

I didn't know you had flares! That bums me out! Sure hope they stop bothering you.
I, too, love the Kindle Ap, as it is with you when you need it - Dr. offices, during car services, etc! I have several books that I am reading at one time, too, as they are different in nature and when I feel in the mood I can chose my own venue! Of course, it takes me much longer to finish reading one, too.

Gracie said...

Look at that hipster baby! He's so expressive. Glad you've been able to spend time with other working moms. It always helps to get some other perspective and ideas from those in similar situations.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

No plans when Isla was so little was definitely key. Only in the last few years have we attempted weekend pre planning and just the last 2 that we plan multiple events in a day haha. Last week we tried thin pork chips with a breading from snyders pretzels which were the hot wing variety. We had loved using the jalepeno pretzels but the hot wings were flavorless. Which was a huge bummer. I generally mix a few italian breadcrumbs with the pretzels and parm cheese as a breading and yum. I also made an easy baked ziti that made a ton of leftovers and was a fam win. I need to make a plan for next week as school starts back up and after I do pick up I don't have a lot of meal prep time. And a week after that swim starts up. Sooo yeah. I need to think again about planning ha.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That sucks that you've been getting flares lately :-(

That Moroccan chicken is one of my favourites!!! I make it in the slow cooker, and love it so much.

Glad you had a weekend with nothing going on. A baby is definitely a cure for over-planning.

Amber said...

I'm so glad you shared that Moroccan Chicken recipe with me as I really loved it. I definitely need to make it again soon. Right now we are trying to not buy any groceries before we leave for our vacation as we have a lot of food in the depth of our fridge, freezer and pantry we need to eat up. I am going to fully harvest my garden today and likely rip it out before our trip!! Such a short gardening season up here this year. That was partly my fault though as I easily could have planted at the beginning of May but didn't get around to it until the beginning of June.

I am all about the no plan weekends these days too! Olivia's nap schedule is much more consistent than Paul's, but it can feel hard to schedule things around her naps sometimes since we only have about 2 hours by the time she actually gets up, eats etc.