Monday, April 29, 2019

Feeding a Child

This post has been brewing in my head for awhile as the experience of getting Paul to eat the foods we want him to eat has been challenging at times. Outside of my gluten intolerance, I'd say I am probably one of the least pickiest eaters you'll encounter.

Enjoy his at home milk and banana muffin breakfast before heading to school at 6:50 am
Lately I've thought a lot about when exactly I became an open-minded eater. Was it when I was 1? 4? 7? I grew up in a big family so it was never a realistic option for my mom to make different meals for each kid. We all ate the same thing and if you didn't like what was served, you could always eat a peanut butter sandwich. Phil is also not a picky eater. There are more foods he doesn't like, such as mushrooms and chunks of tomatoes, but in general he is not picky. We want Paul to be the same way.

Eating his favorite post-meal snack - graham crackers!
But now that I have a very opinionated 14-month old that flat out refuses to eat a lot of things at home, I'm realizing that the road to creating an open-minded eater might require some detours along the way.

For example:  I had visions of us sitting down to dinner as a family to eat healthy, well-balanced meals. But Paul barely sleeps at daycare so he goes to bed around 6:30. That means he eats dinner around 5:45 which is just way too early for Phil and me. We get home around 5-5:15 so I would spend a good chunk of the limited time I get with him preparing dinner. And sometimes I want to work out after Paul goes to bed so eating at 5:45-6 just doesn't work for us.

At this current stage, it works best for us to make something for Paul and for us to eat something different after he is in bed. When prepping Paul's dinner, I make things that I know he will eat. There is not a ton of variety to what he eats - his most common meals are scrambled eggs, protein pancakes, chipotle black bean burgers, or organic mac and cheese and meatballs. He starts every meal with yogurt. We try to get him to eat vegetables at home but have had little success with the exception of cooked carrots which he gobbles up. He will eat any vegetable in puree form but I would rather he feed himself versus us spoon feeding him (he's a long ways off from mastering a spoon).

Jamming as many banana protein pancakes in his mouth as he possibly can!
At school, he is an amazing eater. He will basically eat anything they serve him and the food is very healthy. They eat a lot of beans/lentils, veggies, fruits and whole grain bread or tortillas. Everything is organic and prepared onsite. So I give myself a little bit of a pass on his dinners being heavy on protein/carbs and light on fruits/vegetables since he eats so well at school.

At some point, we'll need to adjust our approach to feeding him. But with a 4th percentile baby who is slow to put on weight, I don't have it in me to take the 'eat what we serve you or go to bed hungry' approach. I feel like that approach is more appropriate (in our opinion) when he's old enough to understand consequences (no judgment toward parents who take this approach from a very young age!). Right now he's still learning to communicate so I don't think he'd understand why he is going to bed hungry. I also have to think about the importance of a good night of sleep for all of us. Sending Paul to bed hungry could result in lots of wake ups and right now I don't have it in me to deal with interrupted sleep.

I look forward to a time when he can stay up later and we can all eat as a family, ideally around 6:15. I'll have to adjust our meals and cut back on the spices (Phil and I love spicy food!) but it will be worth it for all of us to sit down at the table and eat the same meal. In the mean time, I'm telling myself that we are all doing the best we can and his potential to be an open-minded eater is not dependent upon what he eats in the first 12-18 months of his life (other moms, please chime in and tell me this is true!).

13 comments:

Megan said...

Feeding kiddos is such a tricky topic! We also eat dinner at 5:45 (with a 2.5 and 1-year-old) and its so tricky. I usually make one meal that everyone eats and my husband and I just eat later after the kids are in bed. I have LOVED the (nonjudgmental!! score!) info I have picked up from "Feeding Littles" and "Kids eat in Color" on Instagram. The information they share comes from backgrounds in nutrition and occupational therapy so they have street cred and education cred. My favorite two tips that they shared are something that you might identify with:
1: I serve the meal that I make for everyone BUT I always make sure to include at least one food that I know the kids are familiar with and like. They don't HAVE to eat anything (after all, some days I'm not super hungry for a meal!) and they can have as much as they want of anything I am serving that day...within reason since I am the mom.
2: If your kiddo is "stuck" on just a few foods, make little tweaks every week to help ease them into other flavors or textures. For example, if they love noodles with butter, add some cheese to it one week. The next, keep the butter and cheese but try a different type of noodle. Then eventually work towards a different noodle and a different sauce. It plays off the idea of always keeping something familiar while encouraging them to try new things as well!

Good luck with the continued feeding journey! This was one area that I really struggled with and seeking out encouraging and knowledgable resources really helped me enjoy mealtime with my kiddos.

Jeanie said...

I hadn't thought about the problems of a picky eater but especially concerning in the percentile weight category. I'd get the school recipes since he seems to be putting those down well -- and so what if he gets it twice?

Leigh said...

Meals can be such a battle in our house. We for the most part, make the kids at least try what we made for dinner unless it's so spicy, etc. Somedays the kids will eat it no problem, and other days it's a battle. Amelia's latest thing is that she says she can't eat without our help. Trying to remember that she won't always want our help, but it can be trying. Our kids would happily live off noodles and fruit, but really trying to improve that.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Isla hasn't really ever been picky, but she definitely had favorites when she was learning how to feed herself. She LOVED sweet potatoes, which is something she still loves today. I would cut them up and steam them on Sundays. She would eat them warm Sunday and then I gave her some cold throughout the week. They were perfect for her to pick up herself and mushy. She also liked green beans. For those, I just seriously made a frozen steam bag and then she ate those cold throughout the week too ha. I definitely tried to make it so that she would take food cold or warm, however it got there. My husband is an insanely picky eater. It's annoying. I am not. I've always given her bites of our things and when we made spicy ish stuff I'd have parts of the same thing with less spice or not mixed together. Tacos are great because you can already pick and choose what you want your toppings to be. I also didn't really care if she ate the same things daily because she was eating healthy things. I'd just try a few different veggies or fruits depending on sales. It takes an insanely high number of tries of food and taste buds changing for kids to like or truly dislike things.

Amber said...

I am right there with you, as you know. I also didn't realize how much of a trigger the eating thing would be for me because A) I really care about healthy eating habits and B) I HATE food waste!!! Something I am working on getting over. Eric is much more easygoing. One of the things I have found the most frustrating is that Olivia will love something one week and hate it the next. Last week I was sending her whole wheat tortillas with avocado and hummus on it for lunch and she ate them up. I sent the exact same thing today and she apparently wouldn't eat it. I find that so frustrating! She even sometimes refuses her beloved annies mac and cheese after eating it well the day before. Gah! Anyways, I have a feeling it might get worse before it gets better so I am just going to ride it out. We don't always eat dinner as a family. We have more lately but when Eric is back to work he won't get home until 5:30pm and doesn't always want to eat dinner IMMEDIATELY when he gets home and Olivia eats at 5:30 - 6, so we'll probably continue with our trend of eating together 3-4 times per week and the rest of the evenings we all kind of eat randomly and separately.

Shoshanah said...

We’re just now getting to the point where we can do family dinners occasionally at least. Jacob of course if crazy picky and basically only eats chicken and strawberries. Although we found out in California he’s currently willing to eat burritos so actually ate those as a family tonight. It does take the kids a lot longer to eat so we basically have them at a kids table and will do dishes or clean up the kitchen as they finish eating.

Gracie said...

Not a mom, but "raised" six younger brothers. I don't think now is a crucial time for ensuring a diverse palate. Right now he needs a full tummy and reasonable bedtime more. But I would allow/encourage him to pick off your plates at meals or snacks on the weekend. Babies LOVE what they can't have, ha! Once my brothers were a little older I always presented dinner in a really exciting light: "Guess what Gippy (<nickname!) is making for dinner? It's something yummy! Do you want to taste some before dinner?" And, as was mentioned above, include SOMETHING they like. This was really hard while we were in weird eating phases at home (vegetarian, vegan, raw, "less-meat", macrobiotic, juicing...my parents were special). But I always talked about food in a positive light. And I always asked to eat theres if they didn't want it. They didn't get anything else, but they learned that someone really wanted that food!

Carolina John said...

Embrace the 5:30 dinnertime! We did and never looked back. Now other people want to meet at 6:30 or later for dinner and I can't take it.

Ella the Elder kiddo opened her pallet around 5th grade, age 10. She still won't eat all of the same ethnic foods that we make a lot, but will eat most main ingredients. Lena the Younger is still an absurdly picky eater at age 11. She totally dictates every restaurant we go to and Kelley has to make at least 2, sometimes 3 different dinners every night to keep them placated. To me that seems like the worst possible part of being a SAHM, but Kelley doesn't think it's all that bad. I hope Paul opens up soon.

Emilie said...

At 2.5 Noah is SO picky. He loves carbs and fruit and yogurt and cheese. Will.Not.Touch. vegetables or meat. Like Paul, he’ll eat veggies from a pouch but that’s it. It’s very frustrating. I’m hoping to talk to his pediatrician at his 30 month well visit but I honestly think it’s the age. I am more concerned about him eating and staying on his curve than making sure he eats what we eat and when we eat so for now, he does his own thing for meals.

Sarah said...

My daughter isn't old enough for the picky stage at 14 months, but feeding her is definitely hard work! Before she started solids I read the Baby-Led Weaning book by Rapley and Murkett all the way through. Even if you don't follow everything in the book, there is a lot of helpful encouragement. It is worth reading even if your baby has already started on solids and you aren't following their approach 100%. For example, it is okay if sometimes your baby doesn't eat much. If you offer a variety of foods, they will eat if they are hungry. Also it can take 10-15 tries for a baby to accept new foods. As in, you may have to offer it that many times before he might like it. And starting out, 1 to 2 tablespoons of food is a serving. Less than you might think! The entire approach isn't always practical, especially with working parents like in our family, and because babies can't handle the textures (hard/crunchy) and salt content of some adult foods.

Some things that have worked for me so far:
- she won't eat much if she isn't hungry, so I figure out when that is and feed her then (consider timing of milk, meals, and snacks)
- she usually eats more at one meal a day and less at others. For us, that is usually dinner, maybe lunch for your guy.
- offer new foods alone at the beginning of the meal. If she is hungry, she is more likely to try them.
- I like the comment of including at least food you know they will like in a meal. Maybe they will try an unfamiliar food in proximity and realize it tastes good! Or mixing things together. If I add avocado, peanut butter, cinnamon to foods she doesn't seem to like, sometimes she will eat them because she likes those flavors.
- Maybe the most helpful thing has been sitting down and eating together. Even if you aren't having a full meal, eat a little something or some of what they are eating. My daughter likes the social aspect of eating together and copying me.

You're doing great!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I totally agree with you on this; I couldn't imagine sending a little guy like that to bed hungry. Whatever will get him eating is best. He won't even remember family dinners yet anyway, so you can make those memories when he is older :-)

Marlys said...

Trust me on this, but when he gets a bit older and takes longer naps and can stay up later, and he eats with you, he'll improve on his eating habits. At least, you kids all did! I don't even remember you eating a peanut butter sandwich if you didn't like what was prepared, but my memory may be fading, or as a typical mother, I only remember the good moments of raising children, mostly!
Going to bed hungry is not good for anyone, including adults! I don't sleep well if I do, so children absolutely won't!

San said...

I think your approach is pretty good.... a lot of kids are picky, from what I hear, but this will change over time. You just have to offer certain foods over and over again.