Monday, April 1, 2019

What We Read in March

Before Paul was born, I used to post monthly recaps. Those fell by the wayside after he was born. Since he was born on the 1st of the month, his monthly recaps replaced my monthly recaps. Now that he's a year old, I won't post monthly recaps so I decided to bring back a reading-centric post! I'll also share what Paul is reading each month!

Mom's Reads

March was another strong reading month for me! I read 9 books! People continue to ask me how I read so much between working and having a busy toddler. The answer is that I make time for reading. I read on the bus rides to/from work and I read for at least an hour before bed. Paul goes to bed at 6:30 so that gives me most of the evening to work out, eat, and get my adulting done. I try to be in bed by 8 so I can read for an hour before turning off my light around 9. Yes, I go to bed super early but I have felt so tired lately (no I am not pregnant!).

Here's what I read this month!

The Dollhouse and The Address by Fiona Davis




I heard about about this author on a recent episode of What Should I Read Next. Her books are set in an iconic building in New York and feature a dual narrative structure. One story is set in modernish times, the other is set many years ago. I read The Dollhouse first (set in what was called the Barbizon Hotel for Women in the 1960s) and really enjoyed it so I decided to read The Address, which is set in the Dakota on the Upper West Side. The novels aren't perfect. The protagonists make bad and at times annoying decisions. But they are really entertaining, quick reads!

Books 10 and 11 in the Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache Series


I started this series in October 2017. There are 14 books in the series and the 15th book will be published in August. Even though many of the books in the series have been out for several years, there is still a long wait for the eBook version of most of the books in the series. I've had to switch over to physical books so I can read them more quickly. These books get better and better as you read  them. So if you try this series out and feel 'meh' about the first book, keep reading! Most of the books are set in a charming village south of Quebec. The same cast of characters is featured in nearly every book so you really get to know the characters! 

Non-Fiction Reads


I read three very different non-fiction reads this month:

The Road Back to You is all about the Enneagram types! It helped me confirm that I am a 1 (there are 9 types). 

Tell Me More is a collection of personal essays. This was my first Corrigan book and I think I will read more of her work. I was impressed by how honest she was about the mistakes she's made and her character flaws!

March Book 3 is the 3rd book in U.S. Representative John Lewis's 3-part graphic memoir about the Freedom Riders movement of the 1960s. The graphic memoir approach is perfect for this story as it really brings the story to life. It was humbling to read about the sacrifices Lewis and others made in the effort to ensure African Americans received equal rights, inclulding the right to vote. The violence they experienced is unbelievable. There is still so much work to be done to achieve equality in our nation but we wouldn't be where we are today without the work of these brave men and women.

Middle Grade/Young Adult Fiction


I read the iconic "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" after hearing others rave about it. It was a very cute read and something I plan to read to/with Paul when he's older. 

WWII Fiction


Last, but not least, I read a WWII novel called "The Tattooist of Auschwitz." WWII novels are one of my favorite genres. I liked this book even more when I found out that it was based on a true story!

Paul's Books

Paul is very into "lift the flap" books. He needs to read these with supervision but is old enough to not rip the flaps. His favorites are Dear Zoo, Little Blue Truck's Springtime, and Where is Little Fish. It's fun to see how much he genuinely loves reading!! We'll definitely bring A LOT of books for our flights to/from Florida. Hopefully they distract him so the flight is a somewhat pleasant experience for us and our seatmates! 

Reading Little Blue Truck's Springtime
*****

If you are still reading, congrats, because this was a novella! What are you reading lately?

10 comments:

Charbelle said...

I love that Paul's reads are included now too! I was shopping with my Mom on Friday at this boutique type place and upstairs they had a book nook of used books. I purchased several since they were buy 1 get 1 free so I will have some books to take down on the dock this summer. I have my kindle paperwhite but I also don't mind having a "book" book. My little nephews all love to read and it's so much fun!!!

Jeanie said...

I just saw Little Blue Truck's Springtime and have to get that one for Carson if no one else has first! The Fiona Davis sound really good -- I may have to add them to the list (Tattoist is already on it). And I'm glad you mentioned the importance of reading the Pennys in order. I love that series and can't wait till August!

Amber said...

Olivia also loves the lip the flap books! When I was gone for work a couple weeks ago a bookstore in the town I was in had a bunch of usborne books on sale for $3-$5 each!!! I kind of wish I'd taken a suitcase on that trip as I would have bought way more! Ha.

I actually have read 19 books this first quarter of the year, which is a lot for me! I have been listening to usually at least 1 audiobook a month and that has helped I think, but in general I've really been prioritizing reading. I spend a lot of time on the weekends sitting on the floor reading while Olivia plays around me. I am going to listen to the Road Back to You this month! I am pretty sure I am a 3, but it will be interesting to read the book and see. I have taken a few online tests and my results vary between a 1 and a 3.

Stephany said...

You are flying through the Gamache novels! I'm reading them at a super slow pace, haha. I just finished #5 and I read the first one in May 2017!

I just started Something Like Happy for book club and I flew through the first 80 pages in no time, so I think it's going to be a quick read for me.

katielookingforward said...

This all sound like books I would read!! Mixed-up files is a great book, and that author also wrote "a view from Saturday" (I think) anyways, that book is also great for young adult and definitely one that Paul should read before/on a Florida vacation!

Gracie said...

I really like WWII nonfiction. One of my all-time favorites is a memoir geared toward preteens, "Hostage to War". The book is based on the author's diary. She was a child in Russia during WWII, and I appreciate that unexpected perspective. I did some research on her later life, and she became terribly disenchanted with Russia and communism as an older adult. It's a short book, so a bonus is you can read it in an hour or two!

Marlys said...

I love that you are sharing Paul's books, too! I'm sure they will help to pass the time away on the flights to & from FL. I am reading a WWII book now, too, and love that genre, too. I will have to check out "The Tattooist".

Next week from today we'll be heading to your house in the afternoon to start our trip - can't wait!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I flew through three physical books and an audio book last week on vacation! Which was great because I have NOT been able to read for the last two months in my pregnancy fog. I really enjoyed The Dry by Jane Harper and Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

You read such a wide variety of genres! I tend to stick to non-fiction, and pretty specific topics, but I really should step out of my comfort zone more.

San said...

I really enjoyed Kelly Corrigan's "Tell me more".