Monday, April 27, 2020

What's Keeping Us Sane

Here we are in the last couple of days of April. I do feel like April went faster than March, which is kind of surprising as I was only home from March 13-31, but home the entire month of April. Maybe I am just getting used to live in isolation? I am a hard-core introvert, but this is even too much for someone like me! That said, I know social distancing is very important so we will do our part to slow the spread of the virus!

Here's is a short list of what's keeping us sane lately!

- Walks with Paul are the #1 way I'm staying sane. I try to take him for a 45 minute walk after lunch each day. We are lucky to live in a great neighborhood for walking. We either walk to a creek or the lake. We are always on the look out for ducks and other wildlife! Last week a duck crossed the path right in front of us. Paul was so excited to see a duckie up close and personal!


After trying to get him to wear sunglasses for the last year or so, he finally was on board, but only after wearing mommy's sunglasses first. Hopefully he'll keep wearing them so we don't have to hear complaints about the sun being in his eyes!


On our last several walks to the lake, we have seen a bunch of turtles. This is clearly their hangout for laying in the sun! I think I was more excited about seeing all these turtles than Paul was. He's totally team ducks.


 - We've also spent a lot of time in our backyard. The previous owners put in a big stamped concrete patio so that is where Phil and I spend most of our time. Paul likes to run around the yard with his ball, go down the slide, throw sticks, and just run around. Grandma Joan got him a little 3-wheeler but he doesn't quite understand how to ride it yet but he enjoys putting sticks and leaves in the back storage area.





- I haven't had much luck getting Paul interested in coloring/drawing, but occasionally he takes an interest and will sit for, oh, 5 minutes! I'll take what I can get!


- Lastly, getting take-out once a week has been wonderful. It's a nice way to give myself a break from cooking and to support a local business. So far, pizza has been our most common order since it's something that Paul likes and we get about 3 meals out of the 2 pizzas we order. Paul surprised us by deciding to like olives (both green and black) all of a sudden! It's nice to see his palette can expand as it seems very very very limited right now! This week we are switching things up and ordering from one of my favorite places, Hola Arepa. This a place that I always take out of town visitors to so I'm looking forward to enjoying an arepa (corn-based biscuit type of bread). There isn't much to look forward to these days, so I need little things like Friday night take out! I know we are lucky to get able to splurge on things like this and I do not take it for granted. 

What's keeping you sane these days?

8 comments:

Grateful Kae said...

Great question! I had to think for a minute. First popped into my mind my daily walks with my husband in the morning, or my workouts...But I think what is keeping me most sane is the fact that my husband is getting home earlier (by 4:30 or so; in non-COVID times he is never home before 6 pm). Having him home earlier has been SO helpful in sort of relieving me from dealing with boys for a while, allowing me to just work later without interruption for a bit since he can take over. During normal life, this time of day is always a stressor for me- I usually have to start running the boys places, juggling making dinner, trying to be in multiple places at once. I am really enjoying him getting home earlier and the freedom to actually use that time for work.

Jeanie said...

Oh, I like your sanity savers! Me? Lizzie, Rick, walks, cooking and connecting.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

We have been trying to get take out once a week the last couple of weeks from some small businesses. We've also gotten into a habit of my husband bringing home frosty's for us after he writes his paychecks every other week. :) This week we are getting lunch from a local place and we are just watching their daily specials to decide which day to do it. I'm holding out hope they will do their bacon grilled cheese again this week!

Gracie said...

We've been treating ourselves to takeout twice a week - on Saturdays and Sundays I cook either lunch or dinner, and the other meal is takeout. And the cool thing is that a lot of the fancier restaurants that don't normally do takeout are offering it now, so I can expand my options! We are still on a pretty strict stay-home order until mid-May (at least). Orleans is stricter than the rest of the state - which is odd, since we peaked earlier here and are on the decline in new cases and deaths. The rest of the state still has areas increasing.
Besides takeout, we also got to do a day at the beach last weekend! We have access to a private beach in Mississippi and thoroughly enjoyed just getting away for a little bit. What I really want, though, is a babysitter...I love my little nugget, but we need a date night! Even if restaurants are closed - we would be happy to walk over to the park and have a glass of wine by the lagoon or something. I think once we relax social distancing that will be our #1 thing to do!

San said...

I agree, April went by way faster than March, even though we only stayed home for half of March, but ALL of April. Time perception is weird.

So happy to hear you can make use of your backyard. That picture of Paul with his little blue sunglasses is so cute!

We've been treating ourselves to take-out a few times as well and it's been nice to get a break from cooking (although I love cooking) and supporting a local business.

Stephany said...

Oh, Paul is lookin' SUPER COOL in his new sunnies. Love it!

I'm glad the weather has allowed you guys to get outside and be in the backyard! It would be awful if it was too cold, like it was earlier in this whole quarantine stage. Yay for that!

What's keeping me sane are my kitties, daily check-ins with my best friend, snacks, and UberEats. I'm also really enjoying walks when it isn't TOO hot outside!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Love the sunglasses on Paul :-) I NEVER wear sunglasses, and I really should. I hate having something on my face.

What is keeping me sane is:
- Regular walks in nature
- The slow pace of life (I find that my stress is very low during this)
- Working at my own pace, taking breaks when I want
- Drumming
- Eating healthy foods
- A lot of quality time with Christopher
- The fact that I know we're all in the same boat (as sad as that is, but I think this would be tougher if I knew everyone else was out having fun with friends, and only I couldn't)

Amber said...

I would say that having a busy job I mostly enjoy, home workouts but also teaching yoga and fitness classes from home, and long walks are all what's keeping me sane during this time. Also the summer like weather we are finally having will definitely help as well.

Also I do think Jolene's comment above about us all being in the same boat makes total sense and that sense of unity / we're all going through the same thing is comforting!!