Thursday, July 16, 2020

Currently: July

I somehow haven't done a currently post since April - where did the time go? Time felt like it crawled in the spring but it's been going by pretty quickly lately! Summer is so short here, so I'm trying to pack as much outdoor fun as I can. Plus once the cold weather hits, my social options will be very limited - we'll basically only hang out with day care families since they are in our immunity bubble... but let's not think about that yet!

Reading: So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. After reading many light books, I decided it was time to read another book about race. I've heard great things about this book so I am sure I will learn a lot!

Loving: our Sunday tradition of going to a local lake. Phil swims the course and Paul and I play in the water. He loves the water so much which makes me so happy! I do wish I could get him to wear a puddle jumper life jacket so he could try swimming more independently, but he only weighs around 25 lbs and the puddle jumpers are best for kids who weigh around 30 pounds. So it seems like he won't be big enough for the puddle jumper until next summer most likely as he seems to gain about 4 pounds/year!

Feeling: better mentally/emotionally now that I've been able to get together with different friend groups. March-May were kind of tough as I felt so isolated. I'm glad that outdoor gatherings are safe! I'm trying to plan social gatherings often right now since I know our options will be extremely limited come late fall/winter.

Anticipating: our week up at my parents' lake home in August. We are all living for this vacation right now. Neither Phil or I have taken much time off in the last 4 months so we are really looking forward to a full week off from work. Plus my mom is always super helpful when we are up there so I imagine we'll get to sleep in and really relax up there. I know Paul misses Nana and Papa, too, so it's going to be a great week! I did find out this week that I need to bring my laptop out as another coworker planned a vacation for the same week and will not have cell reception, so I'll need to be available if my coworker gets overwhelmed. So that is a bummer, but summers tend to be quieter so hopefully I don't have to login. 

Struggling: with anger over people making such a stink about wearing masks. This is not hard to do and research shows it limits the spread of COVID. I've stopped reading articles about mask-wearing because it works me up so much. Phil and I wear masks anytime we are indoors. They are not required outdoors here so we don't wear them on walks. We can't get Paul to wear a mask so we don't take him to stores, etc. We didn't before COVID, though. Shopping/running errands with kids is NOT fun!

Grateful: that we haven't had any COVID cases at daycare since the 3 cases in May. I think our daycare is doing an excellent job and I am very grateful we can take Paul there. Everyone is much, much happier when he is in daycare! He learns so much and gets to do fun things like water days! 

Working: on our 2020 photo book. I try to work on 2 months, so I did Jan/Feb pages in March. But then I hadn't touched it since! But earlier this week I worked on the Mar-May pages. It really doesn't take much time when I sit down and do it, but I tend to put it off. I highly recommend working on it throughout the year so you can remember things more freshly in your mind. Plus I found it overwhelming to do alll the months at once like I did for our 2018 photo book. I'm sure I am over-documenting Paul's childhood but I know we'll appreciate having these photo books to look back on!

Listening: to Taylor Swift when I am in the car with Paul. He is a big T-Swift fan! His favorite songs are "The Man" and "Soon You'll Get Better" (which he calls "ohh ahh" since that is part of the chorus). He actually knows most of the words of "Soon You''ll Get Better." It's so cute to hear him sing along. Now I need to introduce him to Brandi Carlile!

Watching: Brooklyn 9-9. We are almost done with season 4. I will say the last couple of seasons have been a little meh compared to the first 2. But I'm thinking it must get better again since they kept making the show!

Wishing: 
for gorgeous weather during our August trip to the lake!

Bonus Paul Pictures:

Watching videos with daddy. I love how he has his hands behind his head. He loves watching Baby Shark, Old MacDonald, and some Sesame Street videos.

 Since he's a big fan of chicken and farm animals, he loves this shirt! It says "hangin' with my peeps."

Giving some of his blocks (remnants from building our deck) a ride on the slide.

What are you reading, loving, and anticipating?

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

You are smart to do your photo book as you go along. I haven't done a yearbook for a couple of years now and I think we all miss it. I never did our England trip either. Maybe that'll be my next project.

Yes, struggling with that, too. Glad the lake is coming up!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I'm reading The Bookish Life of Nina Hill and it is cracking me up. I keep sending pictures of dialog to my cousin. Anticipating an overnight beach trip we planned for Sunday. We are going to drive up to a beach on Lake Huron on Sunday morning/afternoon and then drive across the Mackinac Bridge and spend the night in St. Ignace. Of course rain has now appeared on the radar. We can cancel up through Saturday. We talked today and may still go because frankly sitting in a different spot and driving around northern Michigan still may beat hanging out at our house after many months ha.

Sam @ Eye to Wonder said...

So You Want to Talk About Race has been on my to read list as well. I've been thinking the same thing about soaking up time with friends outdoors while the weather is still good. It makes such a difference seeing people in person!

Anonymous said...

My 2-year old loves shopping and errands, especially grocery shopping. It's sad we can't do that now. Every kid is different.

Abby said...

Oh my gosh, I have not been on blogger in SO LONG! I sort of forgot you had a blog, in fact! So fun to go back to this. I love Paul's chicken shirts. He would have such a blast chasing our chickens around!

I am glad you're able to get some outdoor social outings for Sanity. We are on the flip side of you, as it is too hot for outdoor gatherings right now. When it is 110, it's impossible. So I am feeling pretty socially isolated. I am glad I was able to get out for a few runs this week with friends, and we are going to a friends house for a BBQ this evening - which will be outdoors. It is overcast today, so hopefully won't be >100 degrees outside. It will be the first non-running gathering with friends in a VERY long time.

Stephany said...

I'm so glad you have your lake trip coming up! I'm not sure WHEN I'll go on vacation next - even if it's just something within driving distance - but I need to plan something because I'm getting stir-crazy, ha.

I am currently reading The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes, loving my mom's pool (I've been going every weekend for a swim!), and anticipating my move in September. It can't come soon enough!

Gracie said...

I am happy for your upcoming trip! I know you are excited. So nice just to get those days of relaxation. I have been lucky to have a few days off here and there and that has been so nice.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

The refusal to wear masks and people thinking this is a plandemic, are making me really upset. It's such nonsense, so I've gotten pretty vocal about it.

"Lover" is a great album! It was one of my gifts to Christopher at Christmas. Cute that Paul sings along!