Thursday, May 19, 2022

5 Years of Lisa and Phil

Phil and I celebrate 5 years of marriage today! The days can be long when you have little kids, but the years are short. We packed a lot into the last 5 years! For those who are newer to my blog, Phil and I met in October 2012, then I found out I was being relocated to Charlotte in January of 2013, moved in April 2013, and then moved back to Minneapolis in May 2014 and we picked up where we left off.

Phil and I got engaged in December of 2016, married in May of 2017, got pregnant the next month, and had Paul in March of 2018 - just shy of 10 months into marriage. We were 36 when we got married so knew we'd need to have kids right away but were delightfully surprised that we were able to have our first child so soon after getting married. 


I have the most wonderful memories of our book-themed wedding. I am the least talented person when it comes to decor and craftiness. But my family, especially my sister-in-law, helped us pull together wedding decor that was so perfect for a book-loving couple. 

The parents of Phil's college friend gifted this to us. It resides on our fireplace mantel now.

 
Phil and I had lots of travel adventures while we were dating, so we were ready to embark on parenthood right away. We didn't get any international trips besides Mexico and Jamaica in before having kids, but we had both traveled pretty extensively during our 20s/30s. I'm forever grateful that I took all the trips I did - several of which I did on my own. There are families that will travel internationally with young kids, but it's not for us... So we are on a grand pause from big trips and that is totally ok with us. 

Newborn pics when Paul was about 10 days old

Phil hates this picture because it's kind of cheesy but I think it's cute! Paul was a couple months shy of 2 in this photo.

We have done some travel with our kids, though. We took Paul to the gulf coast of Florida in April 2019 and February 2020 (right before the start of the pandemic!). And this past February we took both boys to Tucson, AZ. We traveled with my parents on all of those occasions which we love to do!

We've also spent quite a bit of time at the lake. Paul isn't a fan of the water yet but I am hoping this changes with time. But he loves going kayaking.

Family kayaking - I was pregnant with Will at this time so we are all in this photo!

We have so few pictures of us as a family, but when your husband HATES posed photography, that is what happens. You learn to pick your battles when you are in a long term relationship. Forcing him to take photos is not a hill I am going to die on. 

Will's baptism

That is why it's really important to me to get professional photos done once a year. Those are often the only good pics of us as a family. Yes it's a total pain to get everyone looking presentable, but it's worth the time and money!


At our wedding, Phil gave the most amazing speech. It was funny and sweet and sentimental. He had people laughing and crying. Phil writes for his job so it was no surprise that he put together an awesome speech. At the end of the speech, he said that there will be good times and hard times ahead, but that we'd face them together as Lisa and Phil. And that has been true. We've had our share of hard times. Losing family members, a miscarriage, health challenges, the pandemic, etc. But we've leaned on each other through thick and thin. 

I wish my younger self who yearned for a partner for years could have had a peak at what was to come. I spent so much time worrying that I'd never find "my person." I watched a lot of friends get married and start families. I was thrilled for them but wondered when it would be my turn. 

But this life I've built with this wonderful man was worth the wait. Here's to many more years of wedded bliss!

14 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy anniversary! I love this post. Your wedding dress is gorgeous!

missris said...

Aww happy anniversary you two! These pictures are precious.

NGS said...

Happy anniversary! This is such a lovely retrospective of your time together!

Suzanne said...

This is so lovely! Happy anniversary! Wishing you many decades of love and happiness!

Grateful Kae said...

This is the sweetest post ever!! I always forget that you are a relative "newlywed"! Well, kind of- 5 years is definitely worth celebrating. Such a great recap. Love the photos, too. Phil sounds like a GREAT guy! Your little family is so cute. I can't believe we will celebrate FIFTEEN years this September!! Obviously, we got married a bit younger! lol.

katielookingforward said...

Happy anniversary! I feel like I must have found your blog about the time you were getting married. How fun to think of how times have changed!

Jenny said...

Aw! Happy Anniversary! my husband and I had a similar path- we both traveled a lot in our 20s and 30s, then met and had our kids. i agree- traveling with little kids is not that fun so I'd rather skip it. Your story is important for people to hear- people who are still single and wondering if they'll ever find someone. They will! It might just be a little later but it's worth the wait.

Elisabeth said...

Agreed - you (and Phil and your wedding dress) are all stunning.
Congrats and I wish you many years of happiness ahead <3
And that last family picture (and the whole set you got last fall) are just so, so lovely.

Stephany said...

You guys have sure packed in a lot of life in these last 5 years! Happy anniversary! Here is to many, many more years of happiness.

Anonymous said...

We live abroad and so travel home annually (a journey of 15+ hours, and at minimum 2-3 flights) with young kids and I think you are so wise to avoid it if you don't have to. That being said, my youngest just turned 4 in March, and I feel like we are really close to the sweet spot where travel will be fun again (like when she's 5 and the older one is 7).... hope you have a wonderful anniversary!

San said...

What a sweet post. Happy anniversary! I am so glad Phil was worth the wait <3

And I love the photo where you two kiss and Paul buries his face LOL so cute!

I can totally see how Paul resembles Phil and Will resembles you in the last picture!

lawandcreative said...

Happy Anniversary!! I loved reading all about your relationship history, thanks so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

(Abby again) — Your wedding was probably one of our favorite weddings we have ever been to. It was such a special day with perfect details. Love looking back at those pictures!

I am so glad you and Phil found each other. I prayed and prayed that you’d find your person - and alas you did and it was worth the wait. You two make amazing parents and I just love seeing you so life together. I also enjoy the humor Phil brings to family gatherings 😂

Anne said...

Congratulations! You and Phil have navigated SO MANY life changes in such a short period of time, it's astonishing. I, too, love the picture of Paul covering his face - what a wonderful memory to have. :)