Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Holiday Weekend Highlights

We had a really nice holiday weekend here in Minneapolis. The weather was really nice for most of the weekend - it rained a bit on Saturday morning when we were at the zoo and then Monday morning was kind of a washout, but besides that it was great outside and we were out and about a lot. Sleep was the low point - Will was awake between 4:45-5:30 every day (although we left him in his crib until close to 6) and he took incredibly short 1-1.25 hour naps. He should be napping 2+ hours so an hour is way too short, especially combined with early wakings. But... I had to wake him up at 6:30 this morning to get him ready to go to school so maybe (please please please) we are turning the corner on sleep? Insert all the praying hands and fingers crossed emojis. 

Here are some of the highlights from the weekend!

Vaccines! The boys both got the first dose of Moderna on Friday afternoon. It was... unpleasant. Both screamed and Paul thrashed around so much that it was hard for the nurse to give him the shot. Next time I will be sure to bring Phil with. But they had no side effects and once the shot was over, the crying immediately subsided for both. 

Post-vaccine sucker
The zoo! We went to the zoo on Saturday morning when it opened for members and stayed for about 2 hours. This is as long as we can stay at this stage since Will gets really tired around 11 and we run the risk of him falling asleep in the car if we are out and about too long. We rented a double stroller which worked well. This time we saw some new-to-use exhibits, like the tropical exhibit which was a hit with both boys. 


The beach! After Will's swimming lesson on Sunday - which ended up being a private one-on-one lesson since we were the only family that showed up - we headed to the beach to hang out in the sand/water while Phil did the swim course. Paul enjoyed the water and Will played and experimented with eating sand. Yuck!


Parks! We went to 3 different parks - one each day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For one of the park visits, we went with friends as part of a play date. 


Friends! Besides the playdate on Saturday, we went over to Phil's high school friend's house for a get together. They live on a lake and are the most amazing hosts. Paul helped me make some GF brownies (which turned out great). Paul did really well on the lily pad - he really seems to be warming up to the water so hopefully I can get him back into lessons this fall or winter. 

Helping me make brownies. He got to sample the melted chocolate.


The couple that hosted us has a little boy who is 4 months younger than Will so Will had a blast playing with his toys. I love his "senior picture" pose in the playhouse below! Ha!


Each day of the weekend had one "bigger" outing so it was the right amount of things to do for us. I know some will read this and think - you did ALL OF THAT IN 3 DAYS? But being out and about keeps us sane! Especially at Will's stage. It is very hard to entertain him in the house! But you'd think with all of this activity and time outdoors he would have slept more than usual? But nope. 

We have a really busy week on deck. Tomorrow we'll host my aunt, uncle and cousin for dinner on their way to the airport, on Friday we are getting together with some of Phil's college friends and then on Saturday we are hosting some of Phil's family. It's kind of a lot for one week, but after barely seeing people for 1.5-2 years, we are relishing the ability to see family and friends. And there is comfort in knowing we don't have to worry about covid since most of us have had it and Phil seems super immune! 

How was your holiday weekend? 

9 comments:

Nicole MacPherson said...

Awww. This made me simultaneously nostalgic for when my kids were little, and also glad that they are teens and they sleep on their own and never wake me up! Such cute photos. I loved the beach and the zoo and the playground with the boys!

Jenny said...

Yes, it does sound like a lot but I remember those days. Actually when my son was little he was happy to stay home doing puzzles and Legos... but with my daughter we HAD to get out of the house! And I know, it seems like it should result in amazing sleep but nope! I remember one time being at the beach for hours, and thinking it was going to be an epic nap, and she slept for...half an hour. I think I may have cried. Oh, and why do they always want to eat sand- sand tastes TERRIBLE!
Glad you're getting to see friends and family so much. That is the good thing about having Covid- you can relax about it, at least for a while.

coco said...

looks like a fun weekend indeed, kids must be super happy with all the playdates and outing. getting out of the house is really the best way to spend holidays.

Elisabeth said...

We're still kind of in the stage where we need to be out and about a lot - more because my kids tend to fight if we just stay home and both kids are quite introverted. I'd love to have lazy days at home reading books, but our days work best when we have at least one main activity planned. I find it exhausting, but life works better that way!
Fingers crossed the sleep gets better soon. It such tough stages - I promise is gets better eventually, but I'm really hoping that "eventually" is today!!!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Stephany said...

I think I said this on your last weekend post, but it just makes sense that you guys are on the go constantly right now. It finally feels good to be outside, so you have to take advantage of it because you guys get so few months of this kind of weather. Plus, you have little kids to keep busy! <3

Grateful Kae said...

I totally get it!! It sounds crazy to outsiders, but staying busy makes the time oddly easier with little ones sometimes. I think the structure makes a huge difference. Sorry the vaccines weren't fun! HA! Not surprising though. Ohhh I miss going to the zoo. We have a FREE zoo in Madison and I used to take the boys there alllll the time. It was the perfect morning outing. Haven't been there in at least a couple years now, though!

Marlys said...

I had to chuckle about the sand eating as Maddy did the same on several occasions! It sure can’t be an enjoyable snack.
I hope Will starts sleeping better - for his sake and yours! Anything before 5 is too early, as well as 6 for that matter.
I’m pleased you’re enjoying the zoo outings! It should give you hours of entertainment.
We’ve had a really busy June and beginning of July, but the rest of the summer should be more relaxing.👆