Friday, July 22, 2022

TGIF

And just like that, it's Friday. This week went by faster than usual, I think because my work days were especially busy. Here's what's going on in my world!

The book I'm reading is Left on Tenth by Delia Ephron. This is a memoir by the sister of Nora Ephron. I just started it but so far I like the writing style. She deals with some heavy topics as she discusses the death of her husband and sister from cancer. Then she reconnects and starts a relationship with someone from her past and gets diagnosed with cancer. So this is obviously a heavy book. 

The high of my week was going to a brewery with 2 women I met through the mom's group I joined when Paul was born. 2 had to cancel at the last minute but I am glad 3 of us were able to get together. We've been in each others' lives for over 4 years now. It's been wonderful to have friends with kids that are the same age! I don't/can't drink beer so had a delicious mojito-flavored hard seltzer!

The low of my week was feeling super annoyed with myself on Wednesday. I had a mid-day client presentation and planned to wear my sear sucker blazer - but it was too hot to wear it when I was getting ready and in our rush to get out the door a bit earlier so I'd be downtime plenty early for a 7:45 client call, I forgot to grab it! I was able to get an inexpensive one at the downtown Nordstrom Rack for $35 so it all worked out. But I was annoyed with myself that I needlessly spent money! That said, it will be good to have another blazer, especially since I seem to be doing more big meetings and presentations lately.

A recipe I made was this cashew chicken stir fry with basmati rice. I forgot to take a picture, though, but it was delicious although I used too many veggies so it was a little light on the sauce. 

A show I am watching is How to Change Your Mind on Netflix which is a show based on Michael Pollan's book about the use of mushrooms/psilocybin to treat mental health conditions. My book club read the book years ago and I DNF'd it because I was just bored and I am honestly not very open-minded about things so wasn't really sold on the use of psychedelics. We've only watched one episode so far but it's interesting and I've had some good conversations with Phil about it. 

For workouts I ran on Monday, Thursday and this morning, and will run again tomorrow. I usually don't run 3 days in a row, but my neighbor/running partner has been off work this week and has had more availability so I'm taking advantage of her ability to run 3 days in a row!

The best money spent was on that blazer, I guess, but I'm still annoyed with myself that I was kind of forced to buy something thanks to my forgetfulness!

My plans this weekend include kind of a lot! We have no plans tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll run with my neighbor and then the boys have gymnastics. On the way home from gymnastics, we will stop at a park for a birthday party for Paul's classmate. Then we have another park birthday party to attend on Sunday morning. I don't mind these park parties, though. We'd be going to a park anyways in most cases! Then on Sunday night, I am going to see Alanis Morisette in concert with my neighbor/running partner! I'm so excited! We were both huge fans of her, like most people in our age cohort! She will perform Jagged Little Pill - I can still sing the lyrics to nearly all of the songs! It's going to be a really fun night out! I took Monday off since I know it will be a later night. It will be good to have a day at home on Monday because I found out this week that I need to present at a women's finance concert in DC on Wednesday so I fly out Tuesday afternoon. I'm guessing another presenter backed out or something that is short notice to go to DC and give a presentation! I will present at 2 back-to-back break-out sessions about the fixed income markets... cue my anxiety - big presentations are not my favorite!. With the crazy market environment at least this is plenty to talk about!! 

Did you have any low points this week? What are your weekend plans?

12 comments:

Nicole MacPherson said...

Good luck with your presentations!!! You'll do great I'm sure.

Don't beat yourself up - a nice blazer for $35??? That's a steal and honestly, you probably needed another one anyway.

I didn't love Left on Tenth, but I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Nicole MacPherson said...

Sorry, posted too soon. Hope you have a great weekend - it sounds so busy! I saw Alanis Morisette on her Jagged Little Pill tour back in the 90s - let me know how it goes!

Suzanne said...

Ugh - I totally understand that feeling of "wasting" money because you didn't have things together, but the blazer sounds like a really good deal AND you will get lots of use out of it. Maybe it was meant to be! Spending time with the mom friends sounds really fun! I love visiting a good brewery.

Have a wonderful weekend and GOOD LUCK with your presenting!!

Elisabeth said...

I fret endlessly about spending money when I haven't planned on it (like if something is on sale and it rings up full price but I don't notice until after I've paid, even if it's only $1, I will ruminate on it all day). That said, you're 100% right. Having a back-up blazer (for such a good deal), will be a total win. Maybe you can leave it at the office?

Sounds like a fun, but very busy, weekend.

Tomorrow we have spray foam insulation pros coming to our house and we have to be gone (because of fumes) for hours. I think we're going to go to the lake. They're set to arrive at 7:30 am. GROAN. Could be worse, though.

The week definitely had some ups and downs, but I think that's just life in the summer? Or life in any season.

Elisabeth said...

And good luck on the presentation! I'm sure you don't need luck; you will be amazing, I'm sure. But still, having something last minute is tough. It does give you less time to stress about it, though, and I hope there are some great moments while away on a solo trip! Could end up being a really fun time.

And enjoy the concert :)

sarah (SHU) said...

I feel like having an extra blazer could come in handy- maybe you could keep one at work for fashion emergencies?

I love park parties and am so jealous of Alanis! Sounds like so much fun.

NGS said...

Ha ha. "I am honestly not very open-minded about things so wasn't really sold on the use of psychedelics" is how I feel about everything - my body is my temple and I don't drink alcohol or do drugs! I guess I'm open-minded if doctors think psychedelics can treat mental illness or whatever, but there is nothing less I want to read about than someone's drug-addled experience or people defending habitual drug use. I have Empire of Pain on my holds list at the library and I'm even worried I'm going to be too judge-y for it. I know this is a problem about myself.

I am SO JEALOUS of your Alanis concert! If she sings "Head Over Feet," think of me!

coco said...

I would feel annoyed with myself to have to buy out of necessity also, not that I was planing to buy. But extra blazer always comes handy. I like to leave one in the office just in case.

katielookingforward said...

I am so jealous you get to see Alanis! I I think the additional blazer purchase was a good call, can you leave it at the office so you always have a backup?

Grateful Kae said...

By now the concert is over...looking forward to hearing how it was! I definitely had and liked her album too as a teen, although I don't consider myself a die hard fan (ie. I don't know words to every song she ever released, or that sort of thing). But I bet that would be SOOO fun to go to!! Best of luck on your presentations! You'll be great. It is probably a little unnerving to have all of that kind of sprung on you though! I wouldn't really be a fan of that. But I suppose that's how it goes sometimes.

Stephany said...

Unexpectedly spending money on something you didn't technically "need" is a hard pill to swallow! But I think you got one at a great price + will now have an extra one, which it seems like you will need in the future. So maybe a good thing in the end?!

Good luck giving your presentations this week!

San said...

I am so happy to hear you made some (mom) friends. I can imagine it's hard to find people when you have young kids, but it's so good to have friends who are at the same stage of life.
I still struggle making new (local) friends as an adult.

So excited to hear you got to see Alanis! That's a treat and I can't wait to hear all about it.

And yay for so many runs. I can imagine that made you quite happy!!