Monday, August 8, 2022

A Rainy Weekend

This past weekend was a rainy one. We are in the midst of a pretty severe drought for the second summer in a row so we really needed the rain. I just wish Mother Nature could send the rain our way during the week? We still got out and about as much as we could, but it was pretty humid and damp outside. 

On Saturday morning, it was my morning to get up with the boys and they slept until 6:30 am!!! I hate to jinx myself by saying this, but I think the 5am wake-ups are maybe/hopefully behind us! Hurrah! We did our usual library trip and then headed to gymnastics class while Phil grocery shopped. He made a delicious Spanish Tortilla which sadly our boys won't eat which is mind boggling to me since it's potatoes, ham, and eggs. The boys had scrambled eggs for lunch which Paul gobbled up but Will refused to eat. Toddlers, man. 

Phil and Paul headed to his mom's after quiet time. I stayed back with Will since he has an earlier bedtime so they can stay longer. Phil usually works on a list of projects around the house for his mom and she gets quality time with Paul. I thought this picture of them working on a puzzle was so sweet! I guess he put most of a 100-piece puzzle together without much help from Nana! 


After Will woke from his nap, there was a break from the rain so I went on a 4-mile stroller run. It was so humid outside and pushing a heavy stroller + toddler is HARD! But I was glad I could fit my run in since it was too rainy earlier in the morning. I will run in light rain but it was pouring that morning.


This is how our skies looked for most of the weekend. It makes for a pretty, moody picture, though!

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the basement. Kid toys are so much more fun than they were when I was a kid! I had fun making towers with these "STEM" magnetic toys and then Will would destroy them. 

On Sunday morning I took Will to swimming lessons and then the boys and I walked/scooted up to Starbucks while Phil headed out to swim. It was raining on and off so it was too wet to go to the park, but Paul was thrilled to get a donut. Will eats the bread part so Paul got all of the frosting and sprinkles. I enjoyed a latte. 


It lightly rained on us on the way home but Paul was a trooper, although we did need to make an emergency detour to a local park so he could use the bathroom. It made me think of Elisabeth and all the bathroom emergencies they had while visiting NYC!

After naptime, the skies had cleared and it was dry enough for the 4 of us to go to a local park. This is Paul's favorite park since it has this climbing structure that he can do. We were there for a solid 45 minutes which is a long park visit for us!


That evening Phil grilled steaks and asparagus for us and to be honest, I kind of counted down the minutes until it was time for Will to go to bed. I love my kiddos but I find the toddler stage to be extremely exhausting. Will is more adventurous/mischievous than Paul was. This is real-talk for the other parents of toddlers out there! But I know this stage is brief in the grand scheme of things. I find 12-24 months to be really challenging and then 2 is more enjoyable for me since they can also communicate a bit better. 

How was your weekend? Are you in the midst of a drought?

8 comments:

Nicole said...

A four mile stroller run! Wow, Lisa!
I sure hope the early wakeups are a thing of the past! Fingers crossed!

Jeanie said...

NO drought ths weekend. It's pouring here. I don't mean raining. I'm not sure I even mean pouring. After gentle rain all morning it is like the sky opened up big time. It rained most of yesterday, too. A good day to bake and be inside!

I'm glad you got good weather and a little bit of sleep in time. I hope it stays that way!

NGS said...

I think a 4-mile run is hard without a stroller. Go you!

That climbing structure at the playground looks amazing. I sort of want to go visit that park and play!

Jenny said...

Oh, I have to laugh. My daughter became SUPER difficult when she turned 2- it was like the "terrible twos" times one hundred (we didn't have that with my son at all- I guess it was the universe's way of evening things out.) So I can't say I'm a fan of the two-year-old phase- but it definitely depends on the kid.
Sounds like you had a nice weekend in spite of the rain! Yes, I hope the 5 am wakeups are a thing of the past for you.

coco said...

i've never tried stroller run, it must be quite a workout. one thing that my kids miss about the US is the outdoor playground. really good for the kids but here in tropical countries we have none. All play area is indoor.

Suzanne said...

Yay for later-than-normal wake ups! And I completely remember how exhausting (grueling is the word that comes to mind!) those early days of toddler-hood were. You are doing a fantastic job and of course sometimes you just want the end of the day to come. There is no law that we have to enjoy every second of every day with our kids (and if there were, I would have been in jail a long time ago).

So glad you were able to get outside as much as you did despite the weather! We are having that moody weather now. But somehow it is still HOT.

Elisabeth said...

Yay for reasonable wakeups.
We have been in the middle of a heat-wave for weeks...until Monday when it started raining and hasn't stopped! We have company visiting, so it has impacted our ability to do everything we had planned, but it's also almost 20 degrees cooler (isn't that crazy!), and it feels so nice to not have oppressive heat.

Stephany said...

Lisa, I always appreciate how honest you are about motherhood. It's not always sunshine and rainbows, and that's okay! It's FINE not to enjoy certain stages, especially those first few years because they have to be so hard and exhausting with barely a second to yourself.

Florida is so weird when it comes to our rainy weather. Summertime is our rainy season and we usually get rain every day but it never lasts longer than an hour. Yesterday, for example, was bright and sunny all day until 4pm when the storm clouds rolled in and it stormed for about an hour in the evening.