Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Race + Weekend Recap

Is it only Tuesday? Yesterday was a brutal day at work. It was one of those days where I felt like I could not keep up and kept getting meeting requests so things will stay crazy this week it seems. Plus I travel again this week - I'm in Chicago on Thursday and Friday. The reason for my trip is a client meeting at 4pm on Friday. Could there be a worse time for a meeting? I think not. So that means I will take the 8:30 flight home and get home around 11. Fun fun. 

But back to last weekend! I had my race on Saturday morning in St. Paul. The sky was really showing off for us again!

Give me all the pink-skied sunrises! They are so pretty! That's our Capitol in the background.

I didn't have a plan for the race. After my 9:33/mile run last weekend, I figured I could run at least that fast and decided to run at whatever pace felt good. I mostly ran by myself as I figured my neighbor would run with her sister. She sprinted to catch up with me around mile 3, I think, and then fell back and said to go ahead but then ended up finishing a minute behind me. 

I ended up finishing in just over 58 minutes. Here are some stats for my other running nerds. I managed to run negative splits which is something I NEVER DO! Yay!


The race goes past the Governor's mansion. The coolest thing was seeing the governor out in his front yard, cheering us on! 

 
At the finish line feeling happy with my time!

With my running buddies!

But wow, did I pay for that run. A couple of hours after the finish, I started to feel awful and had some GI issues. I don't understand why I had such a strong reaction. 9:23 doesn't seem that much different from 9:33 pace but maybe I was dehydrated? And I did really pick up the pace in the final miles, but I never felt like I was running too fast. Who knows. 

Phil had plans to golf on Saturday afternoon and I didn't want to make him cancel so I limped through an afternoon of solo parenting. Will of course took an extremely short nap, so I turned on Little Baby Bum when he woke up and it amazingly held his attention. Paul watched countless hours of this show at the start of the pandemic when he was home with us for 7 weeks and it didn't seem to rot his brain so I'm sure an afternoon of tv for our almost-2yo is fine. 

Zoning out while watching LBB

Luckily by Sunday morning I was feeling much better!! We headed to our friend's house that morning to watch the marathon, making a pit stop to get donuts to share. 

Toddler attitude. He did not want his picture taken! If he has this much attitude at almost-2, what will the teen years bring?

Paul was really into spectating and kept asking questions about how fast they were running and how fast I can run, etc. He said spectating was the most fun part of the weekend. 

Even Will had fun. 

We headed home for lunch and quiet time after that and Will actually took a good nap! Almost 2 hours! After his nap we headed to our local park. He is very into the big slide! 


Of course we had to check out the geese on the way home. They have new costumes - now they are a firefighter and a scarecrow. The owners of this house are amazing and provide so much entertainment for the neighborhood!

We grilled steaks for dinner and had some corn on the cob. And that was a wrap on the weekend. Overall, not the best weekend since I felt horrible and could barely eat on Saturday. I don't think a 58:18 10k was worth feeling that awful, but I wonder if something else was going on - like maybe a GI bug or something.  

How was your weekend? 

13 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, Lisa, fantastic job on your race!! That's so great, although sorry you had to pay for it by feeling lousy. That seems unfair!
Your photos with the boys on the weekend always make me smile. It reminds me of when my own boys were small. So busy! One day you'll look back on those days with wonder that it happened. It's so wonderful you have a blog to be able to refer to! I sometimes look back and think "Oh yeah, I forgot totally!"

Your work week sounds insane, and who schedules a meeting at 4pm on a Friday. Well, my husband's boss does, often, which, WHAT. WHY. Anyway, good luck this week!

Jeanie said...

Apart from feeling terrible after the race, it does sound like the rest of the weekend was pretty terrific, right down to the grilling out. I love it that Paul liked "spectating," I think you can guess my weekend. I like yours better!

NGS said...

Wow! Nice job on the race and what a beautiful area to run in.

My weekend was pretty lowkey. We visited a friend for a couple of hours on Saturday and put up Halloween decorations on Sunday. I'm stoked to have lights on the front porch.

Jenny said...

Well, your race sounds amazing (I love that picture of the sunrise with the Capital building.) I wonder why you felt so awful afterwards? I sometimes have GI issues after a long run, so it could just be from running hard. Anyway- congratulations!
I love that Paul was so into spectating the marathon!!! And, about the TV time... I'm one of the few people who can look back and say "I wish my son had watched more TV." I had untreated (and undiagnosed) hypothyroidism when my son was younger, and I would get SO TIRED in the afternoons, like painfully tired. I was so, so stubborn about limiting his screen time- but in retrospect if I had just put on a Bob the Builder for him I could have had a little nap, and it would have helped so much. Oh well!

Grateful Kae said...

AWESOME job on your race!!! That's so great!! I often used to get GI issues after long runs! I could never really figure out why- didn't seem particularly related to anything I ate, or fueled with... just seemed like my body didn't like to run that long or something! It actually played a bit of a role in why I eventually stopped running. I am not otherwise prone to GI issues, but too often had issues with this either during or after my long runs. And then, when I tried to go the SHORT route and do a fast 5K, I ended up puking during the race!! omg. I am a bit prone to nausea when I really exert myself/ sprint/ etc., and yep, it happened then. SO embarrassing. A girl came up to me after and patted me on the back and said "I've been there!" haha. I did get a pretty good time, I think, of 22:57, but apparently my body was not in shape for that or something. I did manage to finish the race and felt fine after, um, vomiting. lol. These things don't happen to me in the weight room. HAHA!

Elisabeth said...

Wow - you killed it on the run and those pictures look stunning - what a beautiful sky. I love running outside when the weather is so pretty!

I remember pushing myself years ago on a run and feeling so, so sick. But it definitely sounds like something deeper might have been at work. Ugh. Sorry you didn't feel great the rest of the weekend.

Also - I cannot get over how cute those geese are; how many unique costumes do they have and WHERE DO THEY GET THEM? I can't imagine there are a whole section of faux geese costumes at Target. Is one of the family members this incredible fashion designer? I'm very curious about the backstory here :)

And my kids definitely watch a lot of screens. I used to feel more guilty than I do now; I watched quite a bit of TV and I turned out fine and they will too. I mean, there are limits, of course...but I take all the hype about it being awful with a grain of salt. And sometimes, it's what I need for my own sanity and that is ALWAYS better for them. Sometimes I know I will be frustrated with my kids (which might spill over into some raised voices etc), where an hour for me to have some peace while they watch something feels like a good tradeoff!

Suzanne said...

Wow! Congrats on a great race! So sorry to hear that it threw you for a loop afterwards though.

Those neighborhood geese are adorable!

coco said...

sounds like a strong race! sorry you felt bad afterwards, sometimes just few secs faster than usual pace could totally wrack us, depending on your felt the days leading up to the race, how you slept the day before, what you ate, the weather, so many things. glad to know it was only temporary and you felt better the next day.
I know the feeling of having to pay for races... did you know that NYC marathon is over 200USD? it's insane but I also see the organization that goes into that, so makes sense. But yes, sometimes I wonder why I pay to go through the pain. :)

San said...

Congratulations on your race! You did so well... I am just sorry you felt so lousy afterwards (that happens to me sometimes after longer runs and I haven't been able to pinpoint why). Hope you were riding that finisher high though :)
(and I think it's valid that you lay low in the afternoon and let your kids watch some TV - it doesn't sound like you're using that as a crutch all the time!).

Your week sounds busy. WHO IN THE WORLD schedules a client meeting on Friday afternoons???

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Congrats on the race! 4pm on a Friday? Who hates who????

Stephany said...

Congrats on running such a strong race! But ugh, I'm sorry you felt so crummy after the race. I wonder why! The body is so complex at times.

A meeting at Friday at 4pm is the worst timing ever. WHY?!?!

Anne said...

Friday meetings are the worst. I had a job that was great otherwise, but lab meeting was at 4 pm on Fridays. WHY WHY WHY WHY? I wanted to be in the lab that had its meeting at noon on Mondays, thanks!

And congrats on your race. I wonder if your blood sugar was a bit low - did you fuel after the race, despite your tummy issues? That happens to me when I exercise hard, so might be worth considering. You did awesome, though, and should be very proud.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Wow, what great sunrises! That is really beautiful. I am glad that you had fun at your race, although it seems strange that you did not feel well afterward. It must have been dehydration, which can manifest in so many different ways! It's so cool that the boys enjoyed spectating; maybe they will be runners too!

The other thing I love is those geese; I was just in Portland and everybody decorates for Halloween there! It's crazy how detailed they get. In my neighborhood only a few people even put up decorations for Christmas so it's a treat to have such a festive and fun neighborhood!