Monday, November 5, 2012

4th Annual Julia Child Night!

Greetings and Happy Monday!  I had an absolutely FABULOUS weekend.  As you all know, Julia Child Night is something I look forward to for MONTHS, and this year's event did not disappoint. 

I went over to my aunt & uncle's on Friday night to help make the ratatouille and coq au vin.  Man, Julia does NOT cut any corners.  These recipes have many steps, but all of the hard work and attention to detail really does pay off as every recipe I've made of hers is fan-freaking-tastic.  And really, is there a better way to spend a Friday night than at the stove with 2 of my favorite people, with a glass of wine in hand?  I don't think so. 

Now I will let the pictures do the talking - and yes, there are MANY pictures!  I'll start with some 'night before pictures' and then move into pictures from the big day!

Julia Child Night - Part Un

We spent most of Friday night at the stove, sauteeing up a storm!  I love how my aunt and I have the exact same apron in different colors!!

The ratatouille, simmering away!

We had to Flambe some bourbon for the Coq au Vin!
 Julia Child Night - Part Deux

The appetizer spread:  French cheese, GF crackers, assorted olives, and Tapenade (super easy recipe for the tapenade can be found here)

2 of my nephews were there and had a blast playing with the cool toys my aunt and uncle keep around for the kiddos

Stripes!  Berets!  Aprons!

The first course was an amouse bouche of ratatouille

Matthew LOVED the ratatouille - so much so that he licked his spoon clean.  I was impressed he ate it all as it had eggplant, zucchini, onion, and peppers in it.  The kids were sort of familiar with the dish having seen the Pixar film.

Each courses required an assembly line approach for plating! 

The 2nd course was a potato leek soup, garnished with some sour cream and parsley

The 3rd course was a grated carrot salad with currants, walnuts, and parsley.  I twas a unique salad, but was a hit with everyone!

Next up was the main course of Coq au Vin, mashed potatoes, and peas, served by my cousin's girlfriend, Ellen

Last, but not least, was dessert. My sister-in-law made homemade vanilla ice cream, my mom made chocolate meringue cookies, and I purchased some salted caramel macarons from a local sweet shop!  All delicious - all gluten free (everything we served was gluten free).

Of course the night would not be complete without a photo of all the ladies in their aprons!
So there you have it!  Another successful Julia Child Night.  It was so fun to be surrounded by family, friends, and good food.  I went home with a full belly - but more importantly, a full heart.  I am so thankful that my aunt and uncle open up their home and put so much work into this fantastic evening - and I am happy to be their faithful sous chef!  We are already brainstorming a menu for next year!

27 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

You all look AWESOME in those aprons! I was admiring yours with each picture you posted this weekend! It's awesome that even the kids liked the food :) Glad you had fun!

AshleyD said...

This looks like such a fun night! (With some amazingly delicious food!)

Becky said...

Love that apron shot - and yum yum yum! So glad it was a success - I can't believe you've already been doing this for four years!

Gracie said...

This is making me vacation-sick for Paris! Delicious! I love that you could make everything gluten-free!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

What a great night! That ratatouille looks amazing! I'm so impressed that everything is gluten free - how wonderful that you do not have to miss out on anything!

Stephany said...

You all look so great! I just love that everyone pitches in and the food looks AMAZING!

Yay for another successful Julia Child Night!

Marlys said...

Honestly, the food was superb! I so appreciate all the hard work that Barb, Paul & you put into preparing this event! It was such an enjoyable evening and we, too, look forward to it each year! It is great to gather with family that we don't see as often as we would like! Merci!

Nora said...

That last picture may be my favorite :) You look so happy and oh my goodness everything looks so delicious. That soup with the garnish? So professional looking! Glad you had a great time and already looking forward to next year's post about it!!

Leigh said...

I am drooling right now....everything looks amazing!! So glad to hear that it went well :)

Raquelita said...

Everything looks and sounds so delicious! I'm glad it was all a success. Also, how fabulous did you look in your stripes and beret?!?

Unknown said...

Great post, Lisa. I love how we develop the ideas for the meal together, right down to writing Julia's initials in sour cream to garnish the soup!!!

On to next year!

Carolina John said...

ah, that's so cool! It's great that you have that much common interest with so many family members to pull off something like that. I'm not sure that my family could do it without a food fight breaking out or someone getting shot. but that's how we roll in the deep south.

J said...

What a great night! Love all the food, especially all GF!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I just finished lunch and those photos are still making my mouth drool. You guys really outdid yourself! Such a fun tradition!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I just finished lunch and those photos are still making my mouth drool. You guys really outdid yourself! Such a fun tradition!

J and A said...

This looks so good and so fun!! What a fun tradition!!

Elizabeth said...

This warms my heart too and it looks delicious! I especially wanted to try the carrot salad and the soup :) Looks like a blast and I'm glad you were able to do this again! :)

Lisa-Marie said...

It all looks so good! Coq au in is a favourite of ours. Delicious. I love your aprons, and it all just looks so fun!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I love this idea! Julia Child rules!

Amber said...

SO FUN! The dessert photo looks especially delicious. I love that this has turned into a huge family tradition and that you ladies always wear your aprons :)

Abby said...

Wow that looks like such a fun night!! I am sad that that tradition started after I moved away and will never experience this fun! The food looks amazing - wow. And the presentation! I'm envious of your sweaters and fall clothing

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

The food looks great, I love the aprons and what a fun time with family and friends! I am so glad (and impressed) that you have kept up this tradition! I hope it goes on for years and years!

qwerkyqook said...

Such a great night, and I still need the carrot salad recipe. Yum Yum Yum.

xoxo

Cherry Blossoms said...

All of the food looks amazing!
Love your apron by the way!

Melissa said...

Looooove this! Invite me next year! Ha ;)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

looks wonderful!

Shoshanah said...

Everything looks so absolutely delicious that I don't know which one I'd want to try first. But think I'd probably have to go with the ratatouille. Although do think I'd enjoy the carrot salad, which I'm pretty my mom made some version of before. Glad to hear everything turned out so well!