Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: The Bequest of Big Daddy

When one of the tour arrangers for TLC Book Tours found out that I was moving to the south, she contacted me to see if I'd like to review this book since it is set in the south.  The Bequest of Big Daddy by Jo-Ann Costa tells the story of Big Daddy. Big Daddy was one of those 'larger than life' types with a past that is nothing short of jaw dropping. The book starts off at the end of his life, but quickly flashes back to when his live began during the Civil War era. 

Costa weaves the fictional tale of Big Daddy's life together with stories of the hardships he encountered (such as being essentially disowned by his own mother) to trouble with the law to becoming an entrepreneur and making a name for himself.  It was interesting and fun to read a book set in a region of the country that I now call home. While I certainly do not live in the heart of the south, I do live close by and the area I live was certainly influenced by the events of the past, such as the Civil War. 

All in all it was an entertaining read.  I can't say that Big Daddy was the most likeable character, between his philandering way of life and violent streak, but it was still an entertaining read.


5 comments:

Carolina John said...

Does it make you want to watch Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?

Jeanie said...

Fun to have people want to send you books! Good thing you are a fast reader -- my stack is a lifetime tall!

Nora said...

I kind of like the title. It sounds intriguing (and I can kind of picture what I'm guessing he looks like it based upon it!)

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one even though Big Daddy wasn't all that admirable of a character!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Amber said...

Some really good books I've read have really despicable main characters! It can be so interesting reading about the bad side of their lives...