Monday, August 29, 2016

Bright Spots of August

I've got to say that I am looking forward to closing out the month of August. It has metaphorically kicked my *ss. But last week at my uncle Keith's funeral, I was touched and inspired by the stories that many shared about my uncle Keith. He had this amazing zest for life, an infectious smile, and the ability to look on the bright side of things, no matter how difficult life was. The pastor encouraged us to carry on Keith's legacy by approaching life the way he did. So, I am doing that today by pushing myself to look back on the positive moments in August, because there were a lot of them!

In August I...

...had an awesome girls weekend with some college friends. One of my favorite parts of the weekend was working on a puzzle together. It's nice to be around a group of people who have the same definition of fun as you do. #puzzlesrule
 

...spent time with my favorite guy. In this picture we are in front of Lake Harriet. It had just rained so the sky is gloomy, but I think the overcast sky is beautiful. 


... hosted this wonderful couple, showed them the best sights (in my opinion) of Minneapolis, ate delicious food, and reveled in being able to have so many long talks with them.


... soaked up some kitty cuddles with Oscar. I know I look awful in this photo because I had done a bunch of cleaning/gardening/errands and hadn't showered. But when Oscar willingly jumps up on me, I try to document the moment because it doesn't happen all that often! There are few things more comforting than a purring kitty on my chest.


... got a good laugh out when Phil gave Oscar a "Trump-esq toupee".  She wears it better than Trump, in my opinion. I don't know how we got her to sit still long enough for this photo, though! #oscarforpresident.

... watched these two bond together. Phil is certainly her favorite so he gets way more cuddles than I do!


... celebrated Phil's birthday with friends two Fridays ago (and again last week with another group of friends).


... shared several caprese salads with friends that were made with my home-grown basil and tomatoes.


... felt a tremendous sense of pride and accomplishment when I took on canning by myself and preserved 45 pounds worth of tomatoes from my garden!


Yes, August had a lot of rough moments. But there was a lot of beauty, joy, and satisfaction, too. And that's what I am going to try to focus on when I think back on this month.

What were some of the bright spots of August for you?

11 comments:

Marlys said...

Yes, we all learned a good lesson from the many Keith stories we heard. Even as a little boy, he was full of smiles and laughter and carried that with him through his much too short life. When Kent shared that Keith told him that the main accomplishment he wanted to achieve was to bring joy into people's lives really hit me. I need to emulate that myself.
You did have many wonderful memories this month and hope you heal from your cough very soon, so you can enjoy the month of September even more!

Nora said...

Love that you were able to celebrate Phil's birthday twice; how fun & special. It can be hard to look at the good and joyful moments in the midst of sadness, sickness and tragedy but it can also be so helpful, sometimes.

Joyful moments for me in the recent weeks:
* Really enjoying listening to an audibook on my way to work each day
* Hugs from my brother while he was here + a great new recipe for potatoes he introduced me to
* Sleeping in until 9:30
* Relishing in some much needed quiet + alone time
* Our friends toddler coming over to me and asking me to pick her up, and then insisting I hold her most of the afternoon.

Caroline said...

Sorry about your uncle :( August has been tough for me as well (similarly to every single month in 2016....) but I've been trying to look on the bright side, as hard as it is. Joyful moment I had this week was XC starting up, which has been a great distraction! Thinking of you!

katielookingforward said...

Awesome! I'm trying to get as much caprese in my life as possible, so delicious this time of year!

Linda said...

Hugs for you.

This month was hard for me too but yeah there were some good bright spots too! Oscar as Trump cracks me up.

Amber said...

Those are some great bright moments! And not just big ones like your girls weekend or visit from Alli and Chris but small ones too like your caprese salads -- I love it!!

Probably a couple of the best moments in August for me were my week long vacation at the beginning of month - spending time with family and seeing close friends and the weekend we rented a cabin on the lake, that was SUCH a good weekend and I enjoyed it so much!

Stephany said...

August has been a really tough month for you and I'd say you are completely justified to wallow in it, but it's also much, much better to find the bright moments that brought you joy and happiness. I'm glad you're doing that!

Bright moments for me: lots of freelancing work, which will help with all the dang money I'm spending lately; all of the shopping I get to do for my new place; easy days at work; good friends to calm me down when I feel frazzled and stressed out.

Jeanie said...

Happy birthday to Phil! And I love Oscar's pretty little face. She's simply beautiful.

I've had a very bright August with the travel to the Vineyard, then to Canada and art camp at the lake. I don't want it to end!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Oh my goodness - that Trump hair, hahaha!! Love it!

Happy belated birthday to Phil!

A major bright spot in my August was having a weekend at home with Christopher; summer is so busy, so it was nice to have a weekend that wasn't.

San said...

Happy birthday to Phil!

I'll have some of that caprese salad. Please and thank you :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Dying at Oscar Trump. hhahaha