Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas was..

Happy Monday! I can't believe Christmas has come and gone - it was such a fun weekend, but sort of a whirlwind! I was too tired/lazy to download any pictures and videos last night so here is my weekend in bullet points (photo post to come next week when I actually have some time in the evenings!)

Christmas was...
  • putting together a 500 piece puzzle with my grandma, cousin, and aunts.
  • being equally excited when my 4 1/2 year old nephew put together the 40 piece puzzle I got him as part of his Christmas present - he was so proud of himself!
  • hearing my 20 month old nephew say my name for the first time!! I tried getting him to call me "La La" all summer since I figured that would be easier, but he has now mastered "isa" as well as everyone else's names!
  • watching my sisters, sisters-in-law, and mom open the present with the scarf I had knitted them! I was so nervous that some maybe wouldn't like the pattern/color I chose but everyone seemed to love them!
  • getting my car stuck in the snow for the first time in like 10 years. We got hit with quite the blizzard.
  • celebrating with all of my dad's siblings - they haven't all been together on Christmas since 2000! My grandpa was definitely greatly missed but we all had a wonderful time together.
  • feeling a twinge of sadness when I looked at the wall that used to hold all our senior pictures which now holds all of my siblings' wedding photos... and my senior picture. I asked my mom to please take my photo down from what I refer to the 'wedding wall'. It just looks out of place.
  • feeling that same twinge of sadness when 'family photos' were taken the night of my parents anniversary dinner. I am so thankful that nobody asked me to pose by myself. I just kept myself entertained with my blackberry and tried not to think about how I was the only person in my family who didn't have someone to take a photo with.
  • nearly crying when I opening the gluten free recipe book that my sister-in-law compiled for me; I was so touched that she went to the work of gathering all these GF recipes and writing them out!
  • watching my 20 month-old nephew dance along to the song his Elmo doll sang - hilarious! I will be posting a video of this next week!
  • eating gluten free sugar and kiss cookies my aunt got for me - which taste EXACTLY like my mom's!
  • winning 4 games of bananagrams in a row. That game rocks!! Although I don't know if anyone in my family will want to play with me anymore after my winning streak!
  • having a mini-slumber party with my 4 1/2 year old nephew and waking up to him snuggled up against me! He is definitely a cuddler!
  • exactly what I needed. I feel refreshed after the long weekend with my family - I can't wait to see them again on New Years Eve!
How was your Christmas?

Oh, and a very special Happy Birthday goes out to my dear dad!

12 comments:

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Awww, I know how you feel. I have never brought someone with me to family functions. I like to think that I'm saving the "best for last" :)
I'm glad you had such a great, relaxing Christmas! Although, you guys really did get hit with a bad storm! We got snow too, but only about 6-7 inches. I hope you got your car out without too much trouble!

Abby said...

I agree this ws a wonderful Christmas! Your scarves are beautiful - I LOVE mine!

And I will still play bananagrams with you this weekend :) I will be practicing this week just to warn you!

Carolina John said...

cuddling with your nephews is fantastic. the kids really make the holiday fun. mine did plenty of dancing too.

and keep your chin up in the family photos. you are a special, wonderful person. Just because your senior picture is up on the wedding wall doesn't mean you are isolated in your own family. it means you are happy. Keep your perspective clear and everything else will work out in time.

Anais said...

What a wonderful Christmas :) Plus it was a white one, too ;) It's so adorable that your nephew can now say your name! My family is going to start having some little ones around too since one of my cousin's just gave birth (on the 24th!) and another one is pregnant :)

Amber said...

Aww this post made me a little sad!!

It sounds like you had a WONDERFUL Christmas spent with a lot of loved ones and how awesome is that gift your SIL made you?? SO cool! I love thoughtful gifts like that!

I'm not doing my photo recap till next week either. The laptop I'm using here is just TOO slow! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your photos though!!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Great recap! Sounds like a good christmas.

Little Fish said...

Sounds like a womnderful holiday. Here is what I am excited for:

1. Next Christmas when you and the man in your life are navigating which family you're going to spend which holiday with, but not minding the hassle at all because you two are so happy and know that soon enough you'll be on the wedding wall! (It will happen, I know it!)

2. Finding out that you're a blackberry user too! We need to be BBM buddies, I'm obsessed!

Anonymous said...

what is bananagrams? I've never heard of it. It definitely sounds like you had a great trip =) Family time is just the best thing sometimes, isn't it?

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great weekend with your family.

Just wait...soon enough you'll have someone special and everyone in the family will be jealous because you'll be all blushy and happy and in the honeymoon phase and they'll be wishing that was them haha.

Mandy said...

I am so glad that you were able to have some quality time with your family and that you're going back this weekend. I think that it was exactly what you needed. It all sounds perfectly splendid. What is bananagrams? How far are you from Minneapolis?

Marlys said...

You will have to do a blog on Bananagrams - a great, fun game for people who like scrabble, but more individualized! I have to say that I did win the first game we played but Lisa dominated from that game on! I had played it before and she hadn't so the first game was a practice. She is now the expert! Christmas was wonderful with everyone home and safe and warm, finally! So excited to go back to the cabin for New Years!

Emily Jane said...

Awww it sounds like a bit of a mixed bag but full of happiness and fun and good times too - especially because the word BANANAGRAM was involved!! I have no idea what that is but I can imagine (a person singing you a song in a banana suit? Please??)