Friday, December 11, 2009

I sure can pick 'em!

Football teams, that is. Certainly not men, but let's not get into that today.

Yep, you read that write. This blog post is about football. And it's dedicated to my former co-worker Pat, who religiously reads this blog. I think. He never comments. You know, he's one of those 'closet readers' that likes to stay under the radar. I DARE you to comment Pat.

Moving on.

I participate in this game called King of the Hills (KOTH). Each week, you pick a team that you think is going to win. You can not pick the same team more than once. If you pick a losing team, you get a strike. 3 strikes and you are out.

It's my 3rd year of participating - the first two years I got strikes the FIRST week. The first time, I made a rookie mistake and picked my boyfriend's favorite team, the Kansas City Chiefs. Bad decision. The 2nd year, I can't remember who I picked, maybe the Colts? Whoever I picked should not have lost, but they did.

This year, I have gone 13 weeks without a single strike! I'm one of the 7 strikeless people left - Pat and his son are also strikeless!

I could WIN this thing.

And I swear to God, if I get a strike this week, I am going to take this as a sign from God that I should never blog about things when I am ahead of the game - like when I am dating someone and it's going well or when I am strikeless in KOTH.

There's 4 weeks to go. 62 people are playing and at $5/person, that's $310!! 2-3 people usually tie each year, but hey - $100 would come in quite handy!

So cross your fingers that my good luck continues. It would be kind of funny if the girl who knows the least about football wins. And I do mean it when I say I know the least. Case and point: I met Kurt Warner's wife last winter while I was in Phoenix the weekend of the Superbowl (no, I wasn't there to attend the game) and had no idea who her husband was. She said he played for the Cardinals and I asked what position. Oh, what? He's the starting quarterback and an MVP? Whoopsies. My bad.

So who'd I pick this week? Tennessee over St. Louis. Sorry, Nora! Picking against your hometown team had served me well this season!

Do you watch football?? Do any of you participate in fantasy football leagues or pools like King of the Hill?

20 comments:

Abby said...

Lisa! Someone had hacked into your account and wrote your blog-post today! It was some crazy sports fanatic -- Change your password ;)

So funny! I never knew that you did that. IT is so surprising to me! However, at the same time it's not--because it's soemthing competitive. And you love competitive!

I only watch football because I have a husband who looooves watching the games on Sundays. But really, I'm not a fan.

Nicole said...

I've never played anything like this with football. Being from Indiana, there is usually some sort of bracket challenge during March Madness for college basketball. I'm not very good at picking teams.

I'maNolaGirl said...

Absolutely! I am in two fantasy football leagues and I LOVE it. We spend our Sundays in front of the tv watching our Direct TV feed of each and every game. Crazy, I know. But awesome!!

Ashley Gerner said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you this weekend...go Titans! :) I love football, always have! I, like Grandma Janet, am a diehard Vikes fan, which hasn't acutallly been so bad this year! Except I married a guy who is anti-vikings and likes to cheer against me. That's ok, I can take it!
The story about Curt Warner's wife...I literally laughed out loud! That is toooo funny!! I would have loved to have seen the look on her face!
Good luck and keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm NOT a sports fan; luckily, I married a man who isn't a sports fan either. Whew.

But my younger brother (who is now 21ish and playing college football) is a jock- I mean, urgh, it's sickening "jock". He's a good football player, or so I've heard- and because of that, my entire family is a little sports nuts. I don't know how we can be related; he's so GOOD at sports stuff and I absolutely HATE it...

Mandy said...

That is too funny. Best of luck with your KOTH! I dont really get into profootball but I love me some college ball (Ohio State!). I do occasionally watch a Steeler game because they are the "local" team.

The only sort of sports participation I do is March Madness brackets.

Mama Nastase said...

What a kick! I am soo going to be cheering you on, as a non-sports fan, I have no team allegiance so will root on your picks.

You're such a fun woman, I am really enjoying getting to know you through your blog!

P.s.-Pat, you can comment anonymously. I'm jus' sayin! ;)

Chelsea said...

I hope you win. I love when chicks win sports things! The dudes don't know how to handle it!!

I dare Pat to comment too. Closet readers are rude. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Lisa--this is Pat

I do read this blog daily and I have been pressing Lisa to do a sports blog once in a awhile(enough of the food pictures and book reviews).

I also picked Tennessee this week. Lisa just think of how many sports books you can buy with your winnings.

Am I the first guy ever to comment on a blog? Lisa you have come along way with the sports knowledge and there is no need to hide it any longer. Girls that can play and talk sports rock!

OK Lisa blog readers-- are you happy I am out of the closet

hey Lisa--we miss you around here. You will need to come back for a visit of lunch

Emily Jane said...

I haven't participated in a pool or anything like this, but I remember my dad telling me they had one at his work, and being frightfully English and firmly believing football is played in 90 minutes and has a World Cup, had ZERO clue about who to pick - and ended up winning the whole thing on sheer luck, lol!

I tried really hard to get into football - David coached with the CFL the past few years, so I was kind of a football widow - but after two years of giving up three hours on Sunday afternoons, when he went back to teaching I blurted out I'M SORRY, I DON'T THINK I CAN EVER WATCH ANOTHER GAME AGAIN!!

I guess it's not in my blood... :)

Unknown said...

I won the NCAA basketball pool at work a few years ago. And, I knew absolutely nothing. I entered from peer pressure (and knowing that my $ added to the total pot for whomever would win.) Do you realize how many coaches there are on staff at a high school with 2300 students? And how hard it was for them to accept the fact a female choir teacher beat them? Too fun. My homeroom thought it was hilarious. We all had a free breakfast with the winnings. Good luck! And, good job, Pat for responding to Lisa's blog.

Anais said...

Football? What's football? o.O

Just kidding. But I'm so not a sports watcher. It makes me want to sleep! I do have to say though that one sport that was okaaay to watch was football. But I won't repeat it!

Little Fish said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Pick against my team all you want. I know we are pretty awful! Your comment made me laugh right out loud though =)

I hope you win the $$. If you win all $310 somehow then you should buy a ticket to StL!?

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I LOVE football but the only game playing I do with it is for bowl games and I play quarters. Fantasy games and having to play every week, gets old for me fast.

Amber said...

Hahahaha, this post, and your friend Pat's comment are making me LOL!

Football, no, not a fan, at all. But I am a fan of HOCKEY. I don't do any "real" pools but I do keep a very close eye on the games during playoff season!

This post was awesome - and I totally would not have expected this! Haha

Marlys said...

Wow, I'm your Mom and I had no idea you participated in football pools! I hope you win, too! It was so neat that Pat posted a comment!

Kelly said...

Haha, don't worry would've been like hmm, name sounds kinda familiar? haha

That's awesome that you are so far ahead. I am definitely the kind of person who would pick the losing team the week I blog about it haha, but hopefully that will not happen to you because I want to hear when things are going well! haha

Shoshanah said...

The whole thing is so funny. But congrats! I hope you wind up winning. The boy and I picked college games a few times this year. He picked based on how the teams actually played, but I picked based a little on colors, mascots, and randomness. And somehow I still wound up ahead by the end.

Becky said...

Haha, I know nothing about football either, so I'm totally rooting for you to win! Show all those die hard fans who's boss! :)

Keep us posted!