Tuesday, October 13, 2015

National Healthly Lung Month

Did you know that October is National Healthy Lung Month?  One thing that RA has taught me is to appreciate my health and do whatever I can to make sure I continue to stay healthy. As a runner, lung healthy is obviously very important and not something I take for granted.  I try to do what I can to make sure my lungs stay healthy, like exercising, staying hydrated, avoiding areas/places where there is cigarette smoke, and staying indoors when the air pollution levels are at dangerous levels (which is a rare occurrence in Minnesota, luckily). It's also important to avoid toxins indoors, such as asbestos, which is a carcinogen that causes a type of cancer called mesothelioma. You can learn more about mesothelioma here.

I have been personally affected by lung cancer as my grandmother passed away from it in over 20 years ago. I've been affected more recently as the mom of a good friend is battling lung cancer for the 3rd time and is unfortunately out of treatment options so is in the midst of her final battle with this awful disease. I read recently that lung cancer takes more lives than breast, prostate and colon cancers combined – it accounts for 27% of all cancer deaths. Isn't that sad?  

This post is my small effort to raise awareness about the importance of lung health.  I hope that as research improves, cancer will claim the lives of fewer people. But until then, we have to do all that we can to make sure that we keep our bodies - and our lungs - in the best condition possible. 



9 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I did NOT know it was healthy lung month! I always try to do my best to stay away from smoke and smog as well, and to eat healthy and live right!!

It is also national Spina Bifida month, which really hits close to home for me, as some friends of mine have two children with Spina Bifida (one which they adopted because they are so great). Both kids are awesome, but will have to live with this condition for the rest of their lives.

Here's to not taking our health for granted and to treating ourselves and others with care!!

Marlys said...

Great post! I wish everyone took "lung health" seriously as the results of not doing so are devastating. I did not know this month was Healthy Lung Month or Spina Bifida Month and both are great causes!

Nora said...

I did not realize that it lung cancer took more than other three kinds of cancers you listed. Wow. I do know that the cancer research (or treatment options) need to improve. As someone who understands first hand how horrible cancer is, I hope that there is a better and brighter future ahead for my step daughters, their kids, etc. Thanks for spreading the word and awareness. I'm now off to practice some deep breathing...!

Carolina John said...

I wish lung cancer got the kind of exposure that breast cancer gets. I'm all for holding onto the ta-ta's of course, but after losing my grandfather to lung cancer and having my sister-in-law, aunt, and best friend all survive breast cancer I just don't feel like there is as much public support for lung cancer.

Abby said...

Wow, I am embarrassed to admit that I did NOT know Oct is "Healthy Lung Month". I should know this, being i'm a clinic coordinator for a......pulmonary clinic ;). Thank you for sharing! I will have to do something for this when I return from Miami ;)

I definitely have a big passion about healthy lungs - there is nothing scarier in this world than not being able to take a breath!

Jeanie said...

Given my lung disease, I should know this is Healthy Lung Month. I didn't. Thanks for posting it -- excellent awareness and an important thing to know about!

Amber said...

I definitely did NOT know that and I also don't know much about lung health at all actually. Michele's mom had lung cancer and fought it and beat it when we were about 10 years old, but that's all I really know about it! Because I love being active so much though lung health should be more on my radar I think.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Thanks for the info! So important.

Anna Schafer said...

I have been personally affected by lung cancer as my grandmother passed away from it in over 20 years ago.