Happy Friday, everyone! It's an especially happy Friday for me as I have a long weekend ahead of me since my company gives us Presidents' Day off. This post will combine my "shouldless" days for February with a recap of my vacation to Mexico! Phil and I left for Mexico last Friday for a 4 night/5 day getaway. Our getaway happened to fall over my birthday although we didn't exactly intentionally plan it that way - it just ended up being the best time for us to get away from work. That said, it sure was wonderful to celebrate my birthday in Mexico!
Prior to our trip, we did not plan anything. That was intentional as we both wanted and needed a relaxing and low key trip. Both of our vacations last fall were so much fun, but they were also pretty busy so we wanted our next trip to be all about relaxation! And our trip to Mexico was ALL about relaxing as it was a string of "shouldless" days! There's not a whole lot to report about the vacation as we pretty much vacillated between laying on the beach and swimming in the ocean, eating in the resort restaurants, and relaxing/sleeping in our room, but here are some of the highlights from our getaway!
- Getting to spend 5 days with Phil. We have busy schedules so we don't get to see each other every day which made me appreciate spending 5 full days with him!
- Walking on the beach and swimming in the ocean. We visited the Riviera Maya area of Mexico which is just south of Cancun. I've been to several beaches in North America but this was hands down the most beautiful one I've seen. The water was a gorgeous green/blue, the sand was white and the water was clear. It was perfection.
- ALL the books. I read 3 books (2 a.m. at the Cat's Pajamas, Orhan's Inheritance, and The Art Forger) over the span of our 5 day vacation. I read a lot at home but it's rare for me to read in long, uninterrupted stretches. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to do that on this trip!
- No alarm clock. Enough said, right?
- Snorkeling on a reef close to our resort. On our last full day at the resort, we did an afternoon excursion to a reef that was a 10 minute boat ride away from our resort. We saw so many cool fish and it was so relaxing to float around and observe the fish in their habitat.
- Unplugging. We didn't think we would have WIFI in our room but it turned out we did. However, I stayed disconnected as much as possible as my work email comes into the same ap as my gmail so it's very hard to check one without looking at the other. I rarely took my phone with me anywhere except for days when I wanted to get some ocean pics.
On the plane ride home, I asked Phil: "So, where are we going next?" What can I say, traveling is my jam.
What was the last vacation you went on?