Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Podcasts, Books, and Workouts of April

April was quite the month. The first half was incredibly cold and snowy which made those first couple of weeks feel reeeeaaaaaallllly long. Luckily the weather improved in the second half of the month. We were able to get out for daily stroller walks which make a world of difference! Here's how my month shaped up!

Podcasts:

Best of Both Worlds - I'm really enjoying this new-to-me podcast. So much so that I am going back and listening to all of the podcasts (I rarely do this so you know I really like it when I'm willing to go back and listen to all previous episodes). Both women come from pretty affluent households due to their professions and their husbands' professions so there's a good dose of privilege as they are able to employ nannies/household managers, house cleaners, etc, but there's still plenty to good things to take away from the episodes. I recommend this to other working moms/moms-to-be.

Books:

I managed to fit a lot of reading in this month. I continue to choose reading over TV so that is how I fit in so much reading. I tend to read when rocking him to sleep when we are up during the middle of the night and I also read during naps. Honestly, our house would be cleaner if I read less but right now I'm choosing reading over cleaning (most of the time - I do still clean our house, just not as often as I did pre-baby) because it's a form of self-care that I can fit into my life.



My favorite book of the month was Alternate Side by Anna Quindlen!

From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon - 3 stars - This was a WWII book set in Italy. It was pretty good but not as good as other WWII books I've read.

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica - 4 stars - This was a great page turner about a girl that was kid-napped and kept in a cabin in Northern Minnesota.

Flat Broke with Two Goats by Jennifer McGaha - 4 stars - I really enjoyed this memoir about a couple who loses their home during the financial crisis. After losing their home, they move into a run down cabin in rural Western NC. The foreclosure happened as a result of some really terrible financial decisions (ahem, the husband - who is an accountant - didn't file/pay taxes for several years!!!) and they continue to make some pretty bad financial decisions, but it was interesting to read about how they simplified their life and attempted to live more off of the land. It's set outside of Asheville, NC, which is a place that is near and dear to my heart. The author references places/hikes I am familiar with so that made it an extra enjoyable read.

The Light of the World by Elizabeth Alexander - 3 stars - This memoir about the passing of the author's husband definitely falls into the 'literary' category. The writing was beautiful and the subject-matter is heavy/sad as she reflects on her courtship and marriage after losing her husband very suddenly.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - 4 stars - I've had this book on my kindle for years but put off reading it as I thought it was a fantasy book (fantasy is not my favorite genre). But it turns out that only 2 characters are fantastical. It was fun read with great character development.

Alternate Side by Anna Quindlen - 4 stars - I burned through this book. It's about a couple living in the upper west side of NYC. They live in a close-knit community located on a dead end street. A conflict happens in their community that sort of drives a wedge between the couple and their neighbors and also makes the couple examine differences they've struggled with during their relationship.

Workouts:

Woo hoo! After months of having to leave this section out, I am finally back to working out. Working out definitely looks different these days, but I'm happy to be back at it and am being patient with my recovering body. I started a Post-baby workout program in April which I'm really enjoying. I'm in the middle of the first 4-week section which focuses on gently returning to strength training. There are 3 strength training workouts/week, some of which are done during stroller walks. In addition to the strength training, I've been getting out for 45-60 minute stroller walks each day. It feels so good to finally be more active!

7 comments:

Charbelle said...

Podcasts have definitely changed my world! I'm still binging on History Chicks, yesterday during my workout I finished up Katherine of Aragon then listened about Anne Boylen. I'm so glad you've been able to return to working out, as that is another form of self-care that I know you love as much as I do! I only clean every other week so that makes it feel way less overwhelming for me. I'm currently reading Courtesan: A Novel by Diane Haeger. It takes place in France and I am enjoying it so far!

katielookingforward said...

I love The Good Girl, glad you read that one! I like the Alison Rosen podcast, you may as well as she has a young son. I've downloaded episodes of Dax sheppard's new podcast but haven't listen to it yet.

Marlys said...

I can truly understand your elation at being outdoors for long walks with Paul!
It is so refreshing after our long cold winter!
I have never listened to podcasts but hope to do that someday, as I feel I am missing out out so much!
I am so looking forward to the next few days to spend with you and Paul!

Jeanie said...

My theory on reading to kids -- until they are old enough to understand what words mean, read aloud anything you are reading. (This works till about 1-2). If course, most of these books don't have pictures, but it gets them used to the idea of being read to -- and besides, most of the time they are asleep!

Stephany said...

I'm so glad you're able to work out again! That must feel SO good after so many months of not being able to. Really puts everything in perspective!

And hooray for the weather being nice enough to go for long walks with Paul. You guys had such a brutal winter this year! Oof.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Alternate Side sounds like one I'd enjoy :-)

I need to start making a list of podcasts to listen to this summer. I am just getting the hang of podcasts, as I don't subscribe to any streaming websites/apps, and am not really sure where/ how to find podcasts, other than just searching "Podcast" on YouTube, haha. I am not very techy, and not advanced with the new ways of getting music etc.

Amber said...

Just requested Alternate Side at the library! I really need a pageturner right now, I am just not choosing reading right now because I am finding watching TV much more enjoyable since I'm not reading great books but I am watching awesome TV shows (rewatching Parenthood and watching The Crown) so it's easier to choose those for my downtime!

Soooo happy you were able to get back into workouts this month!!