Monday, May 14, 2018

My First Mother's Day!

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend and that all the Mothers and Mothers-at-heart had a special day yesterday.

I was very fortunate and got pregnant super fast after getting married so I did not spend much of my married life yearning to be a mother. However, I did yearn to be a mother for many years before getting married and always wondered when and if it would ever happen for me. So it was very special to finally be able to celebrate Mother's Day for the first time! My heart really goes out to all those who are waiting for their prayer to be a mother to be answered.

I spent the weekend leading up to Mother's Day at my parents lake cabin (more on that later this week!) but came back on Saturday night so I could spend Mother's Day at home. My dad surprised me with flowers, though. It is a beautiful arrangement and I love that it's arranged in a tea cup and saucer!


When we got home on Saturday evening, I walked into a clean house! Cleaning the house was Phil's gift to me which is perfect because I really do not enjoy cleaning these days and have a hard time making time to clean. His other gift to me was getting up with Paul on Sunday morning so I could sleep for 2 more hours. Paul has been getting up more often at night so I was very appreciative of this gift as I've been feeling really tired lately!

When I was up for the day, I grabbed a coffee at Starbucks and then headed to the grocery store. Phil offered to get groceries but grocery shopping alone now feels like a treat. Plus the store was really quiet on Sunday morning. I guess most moms didn't want to grocery shop on their special day. ;) I appreciated not having to wait in line to check out!

When I got home, Phil made brunch for us - scrambled eggs with hash browns topped with leftover pork from the take-out we'd gotten the night before. It was delicious!


After brunch, I headed to the local nursery by our house to pick up plants and seeds for my community garden plot. When I got to my plot I discovered that the water wasn't on yet. Womp womp. So I just put in my fence and turned over the dirt so that it would be ready to plant when the water is turned on later this week. I could have planted and brought some water over but that seemed like too much work and I didn't want to risk having any of my plants die as it's going to be pretty warm this week!

When I got home, Paul was still napping so I laid in our hammock for awhile and read my book, "The Garden of Small Beginnings." It's a light, fun read and perfect for a gardener as there is advice on gardening between each chapter!

Phil grilled chicken breasts for dinner that I had marinated in a Greek marinade. We had corn on the cob (which was surprisingly good!) and baked potatoes as sides. I forgot to take a picture but it was a delicious meal that only took about 15 minutes to make! Then I took Paul for a stroller walk in the hopes that he would take a short nap. He stayed awake for the whole ride even though he was yawning and rubbing his eyes.


When we got back, it was clear that he needed to go to bed as he was so tired so I gave him a bath.

Hanging out on the changing table before bath time
He LOVES bath time. He will go from meltdown mode to super happy as soon as he gets into his little whale-shaped tub!

I fed him a bottle and rocked him to sleep and he was down for the night around 8. He's starting to go to bed earlier lately which is nice as it gives me some time with Phil in the evening before I go to bed around 9:30. We watched an episode of The Crown. We are part way through season 2. I'm going to be so sad when it's over as we are loving the series. Season 3 comes out in December so we have a long wait for the next season!

I was in bed by 9:30 and fell fast asleep. One benefit of the exhausting newborn phase is that I fall asleep easily and tend to stay asleep until Paul's crying wakes me up. I know some moms struggle with insomnia when they have a newborn but so far that has not been the case for me and I hope I avoid it!

All in all, it was a lovely, quiet Mother's Day with lots of time spent outdoors. I couldn't have asked for a better day!

9 comments:

Gracie said...

Happy first mother's day to you!

Marlys said...

Wow, Phil really doted on you and your day sounded perfect! It was warm and sunny, too, so that made it even better.
Paul's face on the changing table before his bath shows an expectant smile as though he knows what's coming and then the joy of tubby time! I love it!
Have fun planting your garden! I'm going to try and plant some of mine this week, too.

Carolina John said...

I'm so glad you got to have a wonderful mothers day!

Charbelle said...

I thought about you on Sunday. I'm so thankful that you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! Paul is just too adorable!!! All the food sounds yummy!!! Michael has our garden in and eventually I'll start helping him water it, or I'll figure out some really good sprinklers to give him for Father's Day ;)

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a perfect Mother's Day weekend and lead-up. Time with Mom, time alone, time with Phil and Paul!

Love the bathtub photo. What a little cute face! And well done, Phil, for making your day so perfect and pampering you so well. Methinks you landed a fine man!

Stephany said...

That sounds like the perfect first Mother's Day for you! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful day. <3

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That sounds like a lovely first Mother's day :-)

Amber said...

I didn't even notice that flower arrangement was in a tea cup when I saw it on instagram, sooo cute! You really did have a lovely Mother's Day weekend! I started watching The Crown last week and really really liked it. I watched 7 episodes with my brother in one weekend! I am excited to start watching it again this week after I finish 13 Reasons Why with Eric.

San said...

I am so happy that you had such a wonderful first Mother's Day!