Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Currently: August

August has been a pretty great month so far! It's usually one of my favorite months of the year as summer is in its prime! Here's what's currently going on in my world!

Reading: Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb. This is a memoir by a therapist about - you guessed it - therapy. She shares stories about the progress her patience have made (with their consent and detailed changed to protect the patient) as well as her experience going to therapy after dealing with a difficult break-up. It's been a really fascinating read!

Loving: the cooler nights we've had recently. I love warm, sunny days but I also love it when it cools off at night so we can sleep with the windows open!

Feeling: extra tired (I'm not pregnant). I was on a low dose of steroids for 6+ months to manage a low-grade RA flare that wouldn't go away. In July my rheumatologist told me to taper off as it's not good to be on steroids long term for multiple reasons. I've been off for a couple of weeks but now my body is adjusting to not being on steroids. When you are on steroids for a long time, your adrenal system kind of goes into remission since the steroids sort of do what your adrenal system does (this is not the best explanation as this isn't my area of expertise). So basically my adrenal system has to kick back in and do it's job which results in feeling extra tired. I'm hoping this goes away soon as I want my energy back!

Anticipating: a quiet stretch ahead of us. We don't really have much on the calendar in the coming months which I am ok with. It's easy to fill our weekends during this time of year since we can go for long walks, go to the park or pool or play with the water table in the back yard. I'll need more concrete plans when we move into the colder winter months!

Grateful: that Paul is handling the transition to the toddler room at daycare, which started on Monday, fairly well so far. We've been told that he cries initially but recovers pretty quickly and has enjoyed playing with the kids and exploring new toys. He spends 3 hours in the toddler room for 2 weeks and will fully transition after Labor Day. I'll be sad to say goodbye to his infant teachers. One of his infant teachers moved to a new location last week and it was hard to say goodbye as we loved her so much! But I'm very grateful for the excellent care he received in the infant room.

Working: on coming up with ideas of things to do when the winter weather hits. I hope that winter is far, far away but I know how fast time flies so before we know it, we'll be knocking on the door of December. Rainy summer weekend days with a toddler have shown me how important it will be to find things to do when it's not nice enough to be outside. So I'm working on coming up with a list of things for a young toddler to do in the winter, like the children's museum, indoor playgrounds, etc.

Listening: to a couple of new podcasts, such as "How to Money" (excellent finance podcast I'd recommend to anybody!) and "The Readerly Report" (recommended for fellow book lovers!).

Watching: a show called Goliath on Amazon Prime. Phil and I both really liked season 1 and felt like season 2 was 'just ok.' Next we'll watch the new season of Mindhunters which is a show about how the FBI started to use psychological profiling to catch serial killers. Season 1 was really good so hopefully season 2 is good as well! I've also slowly been making my way through "This is Us" on Hulu when Phil isn't around. It's just not a Phil show. When he sees I'm watching it, he said, "tonight on a very special episode of This is Us" in a very dramatic voice. The show is meant to evoke a lot of emotions for the viewer so that is why he mocks it!

(Still) Wishing: for the right house to come around for us. The house we looked at earlier this month with our contractor friend had more issues that we hadn't noticed the first time we saw it. We'd have to put more money into the house to make it work for us than we thought so we decided to pass on it. So the search continues.

Bonus Paul pics!


Read to me mama! I can't get over how much this kid loves reading. It makes my heart happy!

Riding his scooter at Grandma Joan's

What are you currently loving, anticipating, and watching?

7 comments:

Marlys said...

I love the cooler evenings, but the farmers around our area need at least one more month of warm temps for the crops to mature, so it's making us nervous. When they don't get a crop, it spells disaster for the supporting businesses! Let's hope we don't get an early frost this year!
Summer just flew by and June wasn't great so I hate seeing it come to an end already! School started in ND this week, so am enjoying the back to school pictures on Facebook.
I sure hope you get your energy back, soon! Being tired is an awful feeling, and I hope the flares stay away, too. DARN RA!
We're going to have to find a new series to watch on TV and the Mindhunters one sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out. We haven't watched much TV this summer.
Love my Pablito pictures! I find it sweet that he misses his former daycare, but hope he quickly adjusts to the new digs!

Stephany said...

Ugh, I'm sorry that house didn't end up working out for you guys! House hunting is no bueno, at all.

Phil's voice about This Is Us makes me giggle. That show really gets you! I couldn't handle it. I quit halfway through the first season.

Nice that you guys are having cooler evenings! I can't even imagine what that's like, hehe. At least we're getting lots of rain, which helps!

I'm currently loving that I'm not feeling sick anymore (a week of indigestion was HORRID), anticipating the BSB concert this weekend, and watching Big Brother. :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Hahaha, I think Phil and Christopher would get along well. Chris does those voices too, and although he'll watch This is Us with me, he totally thinks it's a "mom show". We only have the one TV, so he watches the odd show that he isn't too in to, and I do the same, but it's definitely not one he'd choose.

I like the cooler evenings too, although our August has been quite cool overall, which I am not fond of. It seems that July is always really nice here, but our last few Augusts have been sort of meh.

Jeanie said...

Kind of cool that Paul is a toddler now. That seems like the time has gone by quickly!

I know the steroid thing. Hang in there. You'll readjust but no fun at the time!

katielookingforward said...

This book sounds great! I want to start going to therapy for a few different reasons, so maybe this will help give me the little push I need. I think daycares that have different dedicated rooms are so great for kids and parents alike, it seems like a good way to transition and talk about changes. Also, that house will come, but dang it, I totally understand how you could be frustrated.

Amber said...

I keep meaning to subscribe to How to Money so I just did after reading it in your post so I'm looking forward to starting to listen to that one, I need a change from all the mom podcasts I've been listening to. I have actually been listening to The Goldfinch on audio as it's my family book club's next pick and I am really really enjoying it. The narrator does a great job, but man is it ever long. A 30 hour audiobook! I'm listening to it on 1.75 speed so getting through it faster but still.

You'll have to share your list of toddler activity ideas with me!! I am trying not to think too much about winter with a toddler. Especially with Eric working 2 weekends out of every 3.

San said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I've downloaded a couple of episodes of "How to money" and will listen to them on my next longer runs :)

Glad to hear that Paul's transition to the toddler room went well. He's not a baby anymore!

Still keeping my fingers crossed for the right house to come along.