Tuesday, November 5, 2019

A crazy week

The process of buying and selling a house is not for the faint of heart. Dang it is so much work, most of which has fallen on poor Phil since a lot of it required manual labor/heavy lifting. So he took on the physical work while I handled caring for Paul. That said, I know we are lucky to be able to buy a house before selling ours so we can declutter/move things to the new house!

We moved a lot of stuff out of our house on Saturday. This before and after picture doesn't do it justice but gives you an idea of how much got moved out. Not pictured is the office which was full of furniture from upstairs/other areas of the house - the office is now empty.



Our house will get staged this week, photos will be taken on Wednesday after the cleaners come through and it goes on the market on Thursday. We will head to the lake after work on Thursday and hope/pray that our house sells that weekend. If it doesn't, we'll allow showings up until 6:30pm on week nights and will either hang out with friends or at the new house until Paul's bedtime. I don't think anyone would want to see the house after 6:30 on a week night anyways since it's very dark at that point, especially after "falling back" this past weekend.

We've decided to replace the upstairs carpet in the new house so all the stuff we moved out of our current home is sitting in the living room of the new place. We meet with the carpet people on Thursday afternoon and hopefully the new carpet can be installed ASAP so we can empty out the living room before the big move.

So our current house feels empty/echoy and our new house feels like a hot mess. For a type-A person who craves order, this all makes me feel kind of "twitchy." But I am reminding myself that 2 weeks from Friday, we'll fully move into the new house and can get settled! I don't like to wish time away but I would like to go to bed and wake up on Thanksgiving when we are moved/settled into our new house. I say settled because we are the kind of people who unpack right away! Plus since we rented boxes for the move, we don't have the option to pile them up - they need to be emptied within a week of moving so they can be picked up by the company that provides them.

One fun positive is that we went shopping for a new guest bed/headboard for the guest room. It will be delivered at the new house on 11/16 so my parents can stay there the weekend of Thanksgiving. I'm so excited to have a dedicated guest room/bathroom as we have a lot of out of town family/friends. It was very hard to host people in our tiny current home but now we are set up well to host family!

So in short, send us allll the good vibes that our (adorable) house sells this weekend so we can focus on the move! I'm looking forward to a weekend of relaxation at the lake - especially for Phil as he has not relaxed much in the last 6 weeks! We'll get some extra sleep since my mom can help with Paul in the morning and we'll be well-fed by my mom! I'll talk to you on the other side of this week/weekend - hopefully I'll have good news to share next week!

11 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

My fingers are very tightly crossed for you my friend! Your house us super cute and is in a good neighborhood; hopefully it will go fast. Have fun and relax at the lake and try not to think about it too much!! It will all come together in the end!

missris said...

Having things out of order and chaotic also makes me twitchy so I know exactly what you mean. Here's hoping everything gets settled asap!

Jeanie said...

It's all good, even if a bit twitchy. All will be well. You have a new house! In time for the holidays! It doesn't get better than that!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

It is very nice that you can move somewhat slowly into the new place and do the carpet before you put your stuff in! Good luck!

Gracie said...

Good luck selling! Sounds like the market is right for it to be snapped up right away!

Marlys said...

I'm excited for you to get settled in, and it's always a ton of work! You'll get through it and by Christmas, you should feel settled in for sure! This will be a great way to start the New Year!
We are excited to spend some time with you, Phil & especially Pablito! I hope he warms up to me as he was quite hesitant to let me hold him last weekend, but it was pretty crazy around the house on Saturday. And I'm looking forward to spending my "mornings with Pablito"!
Good luck on the sale - I'm sure it will go very fast!

Stephany said...

Ugh, moving is the WORST. I haven't moved in 3 years and planning on doing so next year, and very much not looking forward to it. And that's an "easy" move - just to a new apartment not very far away. Moving homes is another level! I'm crossing my fingers your house sells quickly and that the rest of November speeds by and, before you know it, it's Thanksgiving in the new house! <3 Take care of yourself!

San said...

Selling and moving is the worst. Why is this always on such a tight schedule? Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly and that you enjoy the time at the lake.

Amber said...

Moving is just so much darn work and the in between time when doing a drawn out move is the worst. Keeping my fingers super crossed your house sells this weekend!!

katielookingforward said...

love to you through all this change! I'm a little behind on blog readings, so I'm pretty sure your current home has sold now, hooray!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I hate moving! So much work! But, it's going to be over soon!!!!! Yay!

I am exactly the same way when it comes to unpacking. I would unpack every box within a day, and have everything organized, pictures hung, etc. within a couple days. I hate living in a mess/chaos.